• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Investigating creaks

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi all,

Been sailing a lot this week, and I've started to notice what feels like something creaking beneath my feet when I'm standing at the helm. Mostly when the waves or water are coming at the boat from the side, and once when shifting into reverse. I haven't always noticed this, so it might be something new. Obviously right below me is the rudder, so I should investigate rudder stuff at the very least - is there a checklist I should go through to see what could be causing the creaking? Rudder need some more grease? Something coming loose?

Or could it be a bulkhead etc. flexing? Seems unlikely, but I'm honestly not sure.

Appreciate any guidance here - chances are I'm just being paranoid, but maintaining peace of mind is half the battle.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is a cover plate underfoot held down by four machine screws.

That plate is part of the top bearing of the rudder post.

If the machine screws are loose you'd never notice it. But if they are loose, the top bearing under the deck slops around, clunking and bumping.

The solution is to crawl uncomfortably under the cockpit and tighten the nuts on the upper rudder post bearing--a two-person job. Add some grease if the nipple there is accessible. If not, smear grease over the exposed top of the rudder post while the cover plate is off.

Of course, it may not be that at all. But if those cover plate screws turn easily with a screwdriver--it probably is.

Loose upper bearing machine screws is one of the sneaky quirks of the YS system. Symptom: deck "wiggling" underfoot whilst standing behind the helm.

Last edited: