• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 Anchor Locker Lid Repair

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
Not sure how relevant this is, but I have used a "poor man's method" for laminating and getting the excess resin out of multiple layers, where I place a sheet of plastic on top, and then a 1" piece of upholstery foam on that, and then a piece of plywood on that, and then lots of misc. weights.
For small projects, I have placed a piece of foam and a matching 1/4" piece of plywood into a large plastic zip-lok bag, and place that on the layup I need to get the excess resin out of.
Nowhere near as good vacuum bagging, but as my father used to say (having survived thru the Great Depression), "poor folk have poor ways" !
:rolleyes:

Some good ideas there. I would say that was one of the big takeaways is this is one of the tricks, getting the resin out of the layers. Looking at the picture just before I covered it, you can see the cloth pattern, so I thought I had done a good job, but as soon as I added the weight it is clear that more came out.

In the vein of vacuum bagging I had thought about doing something with a shop vac, but then I got over it....

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
Well the spring hurry up and sailing season happened, and I never posted the results....so...

Primed, sanded and ready for paint:
IMG_2535.jpg

Here it is all painted and ready to go back on. Still have to work on the topside, but in theory the first layer of glass I put on should have sealed it, so the core is safe. I think it will be a while before I get to fixing the gel coat. Looks bad on the outside, but shiny on the inside! Really happy with how it came out. Best part is now it doesn't feel like I am going to go crashing down through the anchor locker when I stand by the bow.
IMG_2656.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2658.jpg

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Looks great! I will be doing mine this winter as well, and will use yours as a reference. I'll also be doing the deck coring around the latch, since that existed for years as exposed core by the previous owner...

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
Looks great! I will be doing mine this winter as well, and will use yours as a reference. I'll also be doing the deck coring around the latch, since that existed for years as exposed core by the previous owner...

yup, that was not mentioned here, but was also part of the repair. I oversized the hole in the edge of the deck with a drill, then tried to pry out as much of the wet core as I could, and finally filled it with thickened epoxy. Once the epoxy was in I closed the hatch and latched it with cling wrap over the latch. This let me take the latch out later and worked to make a new custom hole.

I didn’t mention it, but lots of tape and plastic over any surface you care about is a must when doing this.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Duly noted. I did drill out my old hole, filled it with thickened epoxy, and used masking tape to "shape" the area appropriately before the expoxy cured. Worked well. Then, I just marked where the latch would hit the newly filled plug of epoxy and used a Dremel tool to make my new latch hole in the solid epoxy plug. That works great now, but the damage was already done, and the area aft if the anchor locker is still very soft, and will need to be re-cored...
:confused:

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Bummer. Planning on attacking it from the inside or the outside?
Inside. That's how I already did the coring around the mast deck plate and the dorade box where it was so rotted it would not hold torque on the mast deck plate screws and was leaking profusely. I did that from the inside with foam coring, 2 layers of bi-axial glass and plenty of expletives... My kid helped, and learned a lot of words a 12 year old shouldn't know. But now I'm older and wiser and know how to attack it. Keeping the non-skid on the deck surface intact and having already removed the headliner for installing other hardware were already pluses in the "do it from the inside" column.

I'll be adding that one to a blog post soon... Just finished up a couple blog topics for the work I did on the traveler.