• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Campbell-Sailer 3 blade prop for E34-2.

JSM

Member III
Thinking of installing a Campbell-Sailer 3 bladed fixed prop on my E34-2. Have read most all of the older posts here and and it seems that everyone was initially pleased with the prop but no real opinions after long time use.
Would like to hear from anyone who has had one on their 34-2 for an extended period of time. Is there any noticeable drag ? What size and pitch worked for the 34-2 ?
Thanks
JSM

patrscoe

Member III
I am also interested if anyone who had installed a 3 blade Campbell prop on a 34-2 and what size & pitch worked well for you. My recently purchased 88' 34-2 had a folding prop and I ended up installing his previous 2 blade fixed prop but I was thinking of upgrading to a Campbell 3 blade at some point this year.

On my previous sailboat, I changed out my older 2 blade with a Campbell 3 blade and really liked the Campbell design, good stopping ability and mobility around the marina and had about the same amount of drag as my 2 blade.

Patrick

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
If I may jump in, having a hard time finding pricing online - what's a 3-blade Campbell Sailer run ($????) compared to say a 3 blade Maxprop ($2800 or so?)

patrscoe

Member III
3 blade max prop is a feathering prop. Campbell props are fixed and has a specific design for less drag than other fixed props. You can purchase through West by North. The 3 Blade Campbell that I purchased on my previous sailboat costs $740 while a equal to Michigan prop was about $560. My opinion, it was well worth the extra money but every sailboat is different.

Patrick

JSM

Member III
Got a quote from West by North today. Over the last 3 years I have replaced the drive shaft , cutless bearing and converted the engine to a four point mount system in order to cut down on vibration. The machinist at the shop that made my shaft tried to sell me on a three bladed prop as my two blade prop was slightly bent and claimed that three blades would cut down on vibration. We had just bought the boat and were cash strapped at the time so I cheaped out and had the prop straightened and balanced. Basically everything from the transmission back has been replaced except the thirty year old refurbed prop. Maybe its time !

Campbell Sailer Propeller For Ericson 34-2

Inboxx

<tbody>
</tbody>

West by North <kelsey@westbynorth.com></kelsey@westbynorth.com>

<tbody>
</tbody>
2:23 PM (4 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi John,

Thank you for your interest in the Campbell Sailer propeller.

This recommendation assumes the Ericson 34-2 / Universal M-25XP @ 2.05 / 1.0" SAE Taper.

Based on this I would suggest a 3 blade RH 14.0" diameter x 8.0" pitch (14x8). This size is recommended to give you a good cruising rpm and still have reserve for head wind and seas.

The Campbell Sailer has cupped blades and a leading edge foil. This produces greater thrust and reduces the slip rate. To account for this we often size smaller than other manufacturers for a given installation.

The Campbell Sailer offers the perfect balance between powering, maneuvering and low drag performance. It's the lowest drag fixed 3 blade on the market. Up to 35-40% less drag when compared to equivalent size units from other manufacturers. The Campbell prop is renown for how smooth it runs throughout the entire RPM range.

Pricing is USD $655.00. Freight via DHL Express (3-4 business days) is $46.00. Manufacturing time is approximately 10-15 business days on order.

We accept checks by mail, or credit card via telephone. We can also send you a link to complete payment through PayPal. This is a convenient and secure method to complete credit card payment. PayPal account not required and no additional fees apply.

We would be happy to discuss this recommendation in further detail or answer any questions you may have.

Smooth sailing,
Kelsey

West by North Industries

no_photo.png
[FONT=&amp]Reply

<tbody>
[FONT=&amp]Forward[/FONT]

</tbody>

[/FONT]

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
I've had a Campbell Sailor for over a decade: no complaints; no drag; good value; had it re-pitched when I had a new transmission installed - West by North is great & knowledgable!

HerbertFriedman

Member III
the three blade fixed prop on my 87 E34 is 15x8R, probably Campbell Sailor but there is no marking on it to identity the manufacturer. Those numbers are stamped on the hub and are probably the original specs. There is another set of numbers on one of the blades, 15x10 I recall but I cannot find my notes. I believe the prop was repitched by the PO, he was interested in long distance cruising, not racing. However, the prop may be slightly overpitched since I cannot get over 2500 rpm (with 2600 hours) in gear. OTOH, in neutral I can only get to about 2800 rpm so my Universal M25XP may be a little "tired", at least that is what the mechanic told me when the engine was worked on recently. Otherwise little vibration, does well in reverse, almost no prop walk in reverse but strong pull to port in forward at full throttle (I dont understand that at all). About 6 kt in still water and little wind at full throttle. The M25XP is known to be underpowered for this boat.

debonAir

Member III
I am also interested if anyone who had installed a 3 blade Campbell prop on a 34-2 and what size & pitch worked well for you. My recently purchased 88' 34-2 had a folding prop and I ended up installing his previous 2 blade fixed prop but I was thinking of upgrading to a Campbell 3 blade at some point this year.

Patrick

What prompted you to replace the folder? I was thinking of going the other way this Spring and just got a quote for a flexofold. Also what are your plans for the retired folding prop?

Chris A.

Member III
I changed from a 15" x 11" two blade Flexofold to a 13" x 8" three blade Campbell Sailer for one season on my 34-2 with an M25XP. Nice quality props and excellent service from Flexofold as well as from West by North.

Kelsey at North by West had advised the 13 x 8 for my 34-2 perhaps with engine driven refrigeration and a high output alternator in mind, but I think it should be a 14" or 15" diameter prop but I have not tried that to know. The 13" diameter was too small for the job I think.

patrscoe

Member III
When I purchased a Campbell prop for my previous sailboat, the size was indeed smaller than my original prop. I asked the supplier and it was due to the efficiency of the prop and surface area of the blades (per their email). I put the same question on a forum and many of them said the same. Prop performed very well.

Next winter project and expense. I have already completely replaced my roller furling, new genoa and a few other projects, some unexpected so it's going to have to wait for a bit.

Patrick