• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging Pin Sizes

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Edit: The topic was RIGGING pin size, but I guess Siri doesn't know that word.

Weird. I'm getting into the nitty-gritty of ordering the new rigging and I've discovered that the chainplates have different size holes in them. Although the old rigging was all done with 3/8" pins. All the fittings on the mast-end of the wires use 3/8" holes.

Forestay: 3/8"
Shrouds: 7/16"
Backstay: 1/2"

The shrouds and backstay chainplates are the infamous embedded-in-the-hull units, so we know that they came that way with the boat. Could this reflect some design feature that I ought to be taking into account? Or maybe the yard just had one size of these parts to use on all the boats? Or maybe it's not (or wasn't) considered so important for the pins to fit closely with rigging this small?

One of those days I should have just stayed in bed, because I've only become more confused all day.

On my way to just dump the whole mess at the WM rigging shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian S

Member III
Hi Toddster. I worked as a professional rigger. Choosing you pin size is very simple. You MUST use the pin size that corresponds to the chain plate or deck fitting. If the size on the rigging toggles does not correspond with the pin size on the chainplate the rigging fitting (ie. turnbuckle etc) MUST be changed to match! Only use a pin that fits the component being used both in diameter and length. Your cotter should be shouldered against the toggle so the pin can not drift laterally. Smaller dia. pins "point load" both the fitting and the pin. This condition weakens the system substantially, leads to excessive wear and can make the holes oblong in which case any fitting that exhibits that condition should be replaced. Always closely inspect for cracks, crevice corrosion and anything that looks bent is suspect at best. New fittings are cheap chicken compared to replacing a rig and the ensuing damage. I would aways error on the side of caution.
Hope this helps.

Best regards: Capt. Ian

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks, that makes sense. But the rig has been this way for many years. I guess I have to check my assumption that it’s original. I didn’t notice the discrepancy the last time the rig was down because boatyard “professionals” handled it. The only stay that I changed before was the forestay, which is the only one in which the pin matched the hole. And I had to send away for a special toggle to make it fit, since the Furlex only comes with 1/2” fittings.

The only reason that I can think of (doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t obvious reasons that I can’t see) that it would be this way is if they used different sized wire in each stay. Are other 70’s Ericsons rigged that way? And do they have different pin-sizes in different chainplates?

I think I’ve got the backstay covered, because I have a backstay adjuster to install that has a 1/2” toggle. The WM rigger already told me that we can’t get from this wire size to 1/2” because they don’t make the terminals. That bit may have just got easier.

BTW, before I decided to replace the rig, I bought a new pin for the backstay chainplate because the old one seemed to be cracked (Aha!). WM doesn’t even carry one in the right length. IDK if that means these terminals are weird or that WM has a lousy selection.

Last edited: