• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Coathooks

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Curious if y'all have any ideas or solutions for getting a couple coathooks in the boat. I'm currently leaning towards something around the pole right at the companionway entrance, but how would I affix them? I could screw a couple simple hooks into the companionway bulkhead, but that's more holes in the boat.

I've seen Bruce has his hanging in the head, which I may consider as well, but then need to install a pole in there. And I'd rather take off my wet raincoat at the entrance rather than drag it through the boat.

Any thoughts on this highly consequential and complex matter?

frick

Member III
Coat hooks on head door

Curious if y'all have any ideas or solutions for getting a couple coathooks in the boat. I'm currently leaning towards something around the pole right at the companionway entrance, but how would I affix them? I could screw a couple simple hooks into the companionway bulkhead, but that's more holes in the boat.

I've seen Bruce has his hanging in the head, which I may consider as well, but then need to install a pole in there. And I'd rather take off my wet raincoat at the entrance rather than drag it through the boat.

On my e29 my coat hooks are on the head door.
She dry I hang them in the ha going locker.
Rick

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The head makes the most sense, but then as you mentioned, those with forward heads have to drag wet things through the boat.

I'm not sure that the E32 has an equivalent space, but I've been eyeballing a lip in the liner around my companionway hatch that might hold a hook. There are also undermount-hooks that screw into the overhead (or a block epoxied to the overhead.)

On the e29 there's a little space opposite the galley, between the ladder and the settee. I usually park my shoes on the sole there. Coat and hat could hang just above that. There's a convenient grating under the ladder to drain into. Of course, wet things would drip on the front of the settee... I've got lots of shower curtain material left over from my window curtains. It might be possible to rig a short piece of it on the overhead hand rail to make a splash shield. Sort of a removable "wet locker" if you will. (Red rectangle in drawing) I wouldn't want it up there all the time though. That's prime seating area.

Probably I'll just keep it simple. One or two hooks on the overhead, by the ladder and one or two hooks on the inside of the head door.

wet zone.png

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I think my "utility space" similar to yours, Todd, is on the port side in the nook between the companionway ladder and the q-berth. I tried highlighting the overhead bulkheads / trim in brown, though the diagram already had them.

32-3.png

Similar considerations of where do drips, go - though probably remedied with some sort of carpeting. I have an industrial-esque carpet insert currently at the bottom of the ladder that catches drips and dirt - I could just expand it a little bit out. The metal pole seems like the best choice to me, but I'm not sure about getting hooks on there. Maybe it's as simple as some command strips, or a bit of epoxy.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I looked at a Tartan 30-something that had a similar interior layout to the 323. But the Tartan had a fold-up nav table where our fixed table is. Under the raisable table was a cool padded seat on the port sidewall.

While I like the 323's chart table, the Tartan setup freed up a lot of space in a useful area right at the base of the stairs.

With a folding partition or two, that area could almost resemble an aft cabin, albeit with a single bunk rather than a double.

The gelcoat (vs teak) floor under the table would also be convienent for hanging wet clothes (but would block access to the elec panel).

Just some thoughts I had when I was weighing the 323 with some aft-cabin boats. Never been sorry I picked my boat.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
To try it out, I stuck on some plastic glue type hangers from Home Depot on the shower wall a couple of years ago. They are still holding up the oil skins. No holes in the teak veneer. I'm surprised they are still working. The aft head is great for the oilskins.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Plans on paper rarely survive first contact with three-dimensional reality. FWIW, I was just on board getting a start on spring cleaning, now that the ice has melted off the deck. Here you can see the overhead "lip" or flange that I was talking about, running from the hatch boards toward the camera. The existing coat hook in the corner is convenient - as long as you only have one jacket or PFD to hang. Items there are out of the way and handy to grab on the way out. But any drips fall directly on the pillow area of the quarterberth. (As do drips from leaky hatch boards :mad: )

So a couple of auxiliary hooks on that flange still look possible. But the "splash shield" idea is probably bust. The rear leg of it would have to anchor in space in the middle of the companionway. Should have seen that one coming. Wet stuff through to the head! Then mop up the mess afterward, I guess. Or arrange some kind of little vestibule in the cockpit where wet things can be shed.

IMG_2175.jpg

I think Webb Chiles posted a short video somewhere of himself laying on the lee-side settee with about six inches of water slopping around on the floor and four inches of water trapped on the settee. :0
Maybe he should have spent a little more time worrying about where to hang his wet foulies. :rolleyes:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
In the 32-3, I think the only practical location for wet foul weather clothing is to hang them in the head. It has a drain to the bilge and can be closed off. All the other possible locations either obstruct the companionway or will result in wet squabs (which take ages to dry from rainwater, and essentially never dry after getting wet with salt water).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To try it out, I stuck on some plastic glue type hangers from Home Depot on the shower wall a couple of years ago. They are still holding up the oil skins. No holes in the teak veneer. I'm surprised they are still working. The aft head is great for the oilskins.

When we were shopping, finding that the O-34 has a large hanging locker in the aft head compartment was one of several 'plus' factors in evaluating it. It is wonderful to have a place to hang up dripping foulies when coming from a wet deck/cockpit.

For max drying and ventilation, I also park the coat on its hanger on the head door "keeper latch" sometimes when I know we are not going to use it for an hour or overnight.

kapnkd

kapnkd

Not so sure this will be of help or not, considering that the hanging locker on the E32-3 is located in the V-berth area unlike with the E32-II straight across from the head. (I"m not that familiar with how much room is in the 32-3 locker or how deep it goes.)

For what it's worth - When replacing bulkheads, we cut the seating level floor of the hanging locker out as we never used that area as a full berth from the main salon anyway. That way, we gained more deep space to actually hang long items such as rain gear pants and then put in real drawers for much more efficient and accessible storage. ...Also, the top cover over the drawers is a great area for storage as well.

The hull liner is a 1/4" rubber backed vinyl weave pontoon boat flooring for ease of cleaning and being water resistant. We got hold of some Ericson drawers to fit the two spaces and now have lots more storage and a great area for wet rain gear.

Hanging Locker1.jpgHanging Locker 1.jpgHanging Locker 3.jpg

markvone

Sustaining Member
This won't help unless you change boats

E36RH, port side, between the companionway ladder and the galley, recessed aft under the cockpit seat - a wet hanging locker that drains to bilge. Just in front, at floor level is a small boot locker with grated top and bottom for drainage and ventilation.. The space above holds stuff that can't fall out when heeled.

Mark

Attachments

• Ericson 36RH Berths.jpg
    Ericson 36RH Berths.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2145472_12 Aft.jpg
    2145472_12 Aft.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 11

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I have a small hook on either side of the companionway. Visible here just above the radar mount. That is for dry stuff, sun hats - etc. I also keep a flashlight hanging there. If something goes bump in the night you can just grab it on your way out the hatch.

Interior radar mount.jpg

For wet stuff, I have similar hangers in the shower stall so they can drip dry. Yes you have to make a dash forward to the head to get it off, but what else are you going to do? Also having a dodger lets you 'pre drip' before entering the cabin.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy