• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel jug/jerrycan rack

paramita

Inspired by Christian's design for carrying spare fuel I'm trying my hand at building a set of racks and was curious to get some opinions on how I might attach them to the stays (I'm on an Ericson 38). I couldn't find any details of his design, only that he had to make some adjustments when the stays went slack. My thought is to sandwich the stay between the rack and a board or two (see image), the inside of the racks will be hose-clamped to the hand hold.

IMG_0474.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this. I was initially thinking to have the top and bottom mounts clamped down tight. Then I got to thinking maybe it would be better to only clamp either the top or bottom tight, or maybe just have them loose enough to allow the stays to slide around a bit. Of course some shakedown sails will inform this, but wanted to start with the collective wisdom of this forum first.

Any input would be more than welcome.

Thanks!

Matt

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This was the 32-3: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?207-Fuel-Jugs-Bookshelf-Tell-Tale-Compass

I think that will work--securing the racks to the stays with pressure. Mine were free to slide against the stays, which worked on the 32-3. But on the 38 the distance from house to stays is greater. I wound up setting the fowrard edge of the racks outboard of the grab rails, so pressure kept the rack more vertical.

I didn;t find a need to attach the racks to the grab rails. Try without and see. I suggest padding the grab rails to preserve the varnish. Split-foam pipe insulation works well.

1-T2 fuel jug racks3.JPG

Last edited: