• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Match teak color

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
We were lucky to receive new Weems and Plath clock and barometer for the boat from our respective mothers.

We we want to relocate the brass oil lamp from the port bulkhead to the starboard and put the new units on the port side.

There is a dark circle on the port bulkhead where the lamp was and would like to get the panel the same color before moving forward. I know, from previous threads, the exposed wood has lightened from years of UV light.

Has anyone had good luck doing a color match repair in this situation?

Ironically I had pulled the wine rack out of the galley before Sati put up the nice blog on the same topic. We have decided to put in a vertical tambour door. Wood choice is red oak, maple, cherry or hickory from Omega. Will discuss with a home remodeler I race with to see what will best match the grain and stainability on that end.

Wood of finishing is something I’m just trying to figure out, especially with all of the beautiful bright work to maintain.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Randy,

I've used Minwax Red Chesnut #232 and others have used Gunstock #231 which is close in color but less red. Some pictures in the link below. This was on new teak veneer trying to match the original (1981) teak in the picture below which may well be a different type of teak. Also, my teak is satin varnished, not oiled.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-Atach-Cabin-Side-Plywood&highlight=cabinside

I assume the dark spot is not a stain from the flame burning but an area of non-lightened teak from behind where the oil lamp was mounted. As a last resort, you could probably strip the entire bulkhead of finish and re-do for consistency. This is how my small projects usually go :0. Hopefully, your situation has been addressed by someone here before. Somehow, my bulkheads avoided having anything mounted on them since new.

Mark

Attachments

• 2145472_9 Salon Fwd.jpg
    2145472_9 Salon Fwd.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 93

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fading and "getting the red out"

A part of the old teak that is just now getting exposed to light will darken in about a year in my experience. Longer time will produce more change.
(Eight years ago we remodeled our house and the new cherry cabinets have darkened considerably since.)

If you start stripping and refinishing all of the teak, it's worthwhile (IMHO) but.... once you do one area you will like the lighter look and then want to do more. And more. And....
:rolleyes:

Have a look at the bulk head pix in my blog for the process and result.
Last week I finally got the teak nav desk and nearby teak trim done and should get varnish on those parts this week.
We love the lighter, natural 'golden' look of teak, but as Ringo said, "It don't come easy."

ps: Mark, that interior looks truly "yacht grade" !

Last edited:

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Thanks for the quick replies.

I’m a bit confused. I thought exposed teak lightens up not darkens.

I perfect circle behind the oil lamp base is a darker redder color. Wish I had a picture to post.

Wondering if the discoloration is from the brass and just needs cleaning and oiling. I have a gut feeling refinishing could snowball out of control in a big hurry if I mess up.