• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winch sizing

Baslin

Member III
I am planning on moving my winches forward to the mast for all my reefing lines and the halyards. Also I need to replace my main sheet winch. It is a Barient 19. West marine is having the buy one get one free lewmar sale and I was thinking of buying a total of 4. Does anyone have a recommendation for what size winch I need to halyards and a main sheet for a 1983 E38???

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ya, I have been considering that sale price too.
Our main is smaller than yours and our stock winches (housetop) are Lewmar 30ST's.
Ours are OK for hoisting sails, but I would not want any smaller ratio. Sometimes you want quite a lot of pull to get the spin. all the way up when it fills and you are a few feet short.

I am considering a pair of Lewmar 40ST winches. Need to make up my mind quick before the sale ends......

You also need to consider what ratio is best for hoisting a person up the mast. That's one area where our present ones are barely OK, and more power would really help. Or, I could lose 30#. Wonder what the odds are? :)

Other than being impressed with the quality and engineering of the older Bariants, I remember someone telling me that doubling their model number would approx tell you their ratio. So, if true, you might already have a 38 power ratio.... If that is enough, then best to just stick with that sizing. (Just an opinion, and YMMV)

Let us know what you decide.

ps: have you laid out the locations and pad sizing for putting winches on your mast? That's a project in itself.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My opinion is that the size of the factory main sheet winch is fine. As reefs go in trimming get easier.

The main halyard winch could/should be huge as practical or affordable (i.e., larger than factory size). That's the only winch that can haul somebody up the mast or retrieve a MOB.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Yep, 2 days left on the sale. I’ve been debating spending money as well.

Was looking as the Barient 19 for the main tries to eat the halyard. The bailer doesn’t have a tang that extends inside the self tailing wheel and sucks in the line. Parts for these winches are.... well you all know.