• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

mast head sheaves

BillyT

Hi Eric. Sorry I don't know your sheave size, but I could not get stock replacements for my E31. I ended up going to Zephyrwerks for custom ones and was very happy with the result. I thought their service was excellent and I was happy with the timing and cost even though I am based in Australia. Cheers Bill

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
+1 on Zephyrworks.

I replaced the masthead sheaves on my E32-III a couple of years ago. He told me exactly what to measure in order to end up with the right size (it's not just sheave diameter, axle/pin diameter and line diameter... he had me measure the masthead sheave-box itself, because many times the walls are not "square" and so a full-thickness sheave may bind if that isn't taken into account.)

Very happy with the quality and price.

Bruce

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
+2 on Zephyrworks. I just ordered three boom-end sheaves from him. The small forward sheave for the reefing line was a 3/8 ID sheave (it rotates on a stainless 3/8" bolt). The larger, aft sheaves rotate about a press-pin in the aft-boom sheave box. I mistakenly assumed these were the standard 3/8 ID as well. The press-pin is actually about .378" diameter when measured with a micrometer.

The original sheaves I ordered did not fit, but Ed allowed me to ship them back so he could re-bore them and return them to me (at no additional charge).

So, measure your sheaves with a micrometer to get it right. Inner Diameter (ID), and width (of the hub or bearing surface) are most critical. Outer diameter and groove depth are pretty nominal. And, as Bruce said, the walls on the sheave-box were not square--I just went with the same width as the old sheaves, even though this leaves some side-to-side play in the sheave box. You can "shim" them up further with nylon washers from the hardware store, if you wish.

Last edited:

Donnie

I have an 87 Ericson 34. Does anybody have an idea what size the mast head sheaves are?
I also have a 1987 e 34 my sheaves are going bad I have the spare with the insert for the mast wires as due all 1987 models I’m going to replace while the stick is up so any help on sheave size would help a lot. Thanks