• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Portable Generator Storage

Swanie

Blogs Author
Honda eu2000 Storage

I converted my 32-2 to an electric drive (48 volts 10Kw) so a generator is a bit more important to me than to those with an inboard. I can motor for 20 miles at 4+ knots on the charge from shore power. If I supplement that charge with a 2000 watt generator then it doubles (or more). The problem that I found is if I go from my homeport (Tacoma) to Olympia (36 miles) I'll have to completely recharge which requires a 30 amp circuit. Last summer I made a mounting area on the fore deck with two pad eyes to secure the generator while underway and during use. You can still hear it but it's quieter than a diesel running below deck. I made a thick dense foam pad for it to sit on to insulate the deck from vibrations. And a ratchet strap through the handle and secured to the pad eyes kept it very secure. This year I bought the companion generator (another eu2000) that when combined with the original generator gives me a 30 amp 110 volt generator. The companion genny has a 30 amp receptacle. I enlarged the fore deck area for it and moved the forward pad eye to accommodate both gennys. My wife made a nice sunbrella cover to hide them and I made a new foam pad to insulate the deck from them. Now if we have to motor to distant anchorages and use my batteries I can recharge the 48 volt battery pack in a few hours with the gennys. The generators on the fore deck with the cover on looks like its supposed to be there.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I converted my 32-2 to an electric drive (48 volts 10Kw) so a generator is a bit more important to me than to those with an inboard. I can motor for 20 miles at 4+ knots on the charge from shore power. If I supplement that charge with a 2000 watt generator then it doubles (or more). The problem that I found is if I go from my homeport (Tacoma) to Olympia (36 miles) I'll have to completely recharge which requires a 30 amp circuit. Last summer I made a mounting area on the fore deck with two pad eyes to secure the generator while underway and during use. You can still hear it but it's quieter than a diesel running below deck. I made a thick dense foam pad for it to sit on to insulate the deck from vibrations. And a ratchet strap through the handle and secured to the pad eyes kept it very secure. This year I bought the companion generator (another eu2000) that when combined with the original generator gives me a 30 amp 110 volt generator. The companion genny has a 30 amp receptacle. I enlarged the fore deck area for it and moved the forward pad eye to accommodate both gennys. My wife made a nice sunbrella cover to hide them and I made a new foam pad to insulate the deck from them. Now if we have to motor to distant anchorages and use my batteries I can recharge the 48 volt battery pack in a few hours with the gennys. The generators on the fore deck with the cover on looks like its supposed to be there.

Mind sharing some pics? Sounds interesting.