• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom has been sanded and painted. Almost ready to splash.

L

Leslie Newman

Took a couple of sessions for me to complete bottom sanding of Osprey. Rolling on the paint was just a couple hours. I'm trying the Rust-Oleum Hot Galvanized spray paint on the prop and shaft this year. Practical Sailor gives it a thumbs up. Need to scuff the paint off my prop zinc. Little bit of over spray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks much for the photos.
Is that round disc-shape in front of the prop a line-cutter disc?

L

Leslie Newman

Thanks much for the photos.
Is that round disc-shape in front of the prop a line-cutter disc?

Yes it is. One set screw holds it in place. I had it off recently as I rebuilt the Autoprop and cleaned up all the pieces parts.

Here is a better shot of it. I had the devil of a time removing the prop. Had to use my 15 ton manual puller. Someone said it probably doesn't mate to the shaft cone properly. I tried to lap it some when I reinstalled the prop, but I suspect if I ever need it off again it is going to require the puller.

I may have already posted these pics in another thread.

Autoprop1.jpg

Autoprop2.jpg

Autoprop3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Leslie,

It looks like your shaft zinc is really close to the forward end of your cutlass bearing/strut (from the limited angle of your picture). I usually leave an inch (one shaft diameter) but I suspect less is OK. This allows unrestricted water flow to/through your cutlass bearing.

Mark

L

Leslie Newman

Hi Leslie,

It looks like your shaft zinc is really close to the forward end of your cutlass bearing/strut (from the limited angle of your picture). I usually leave an inch (one shaft diameter) but I suspect less is OK. This allows unrestricted water flow to/through your cutlass bearing.

Mark

I think it is about 3/4". I keep putting it back were the old one was. All seems to be working OK, but thanks.