Bottom has been sanded and painted. Almost ready to splash.

L

Leslie Newman

Took a couple of sessions for me to complete bottom sanding of Osprey. Rolling on the paint was just a couple hours. I'm trying the Rust-Oleum Hot Galvanized spray paint on the prop and shaft this year. Practical Sailor gives it a thumbs up. Need to scuff the paint off my prop zinc. Little bit of over spray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks much for the photos.
Is that round disc-shape in front of the prop a line-cutter disc?

L

Leslie Newman

Thanks much for the photos.
Is that round disc-shape in front of the prop a line-cutter disc?

Yes it is. One set screw holds it in place. I had it off recently as I rebuilt the Autoprop and cleaned up all the pieces parts.

Here is a better shot of it. I had the devil of a time removing the prop. Had to use my 15 ton manual puller. Someone said it probably doesn't mate to the shaft cone properly. I tried to lap it some when I reinstalled the prop, but I suspect if I ever need it off again it is going to require the puller.

I may have already posted these pics in another thread.

Autoprop1.jpg

Autoprop2.jpg

Autoprop3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Leslie,

It looks like your shaft zinc is really close to the forward end of your cutlass bearing/strut (from the limited angle of your picture). I usually leave an inch (one shaft diameter) but I suspect less is OK. This allows unrestricted water flow to/through your cutlass bearing.

Mark

L

Leslie Newman

Hi Leslie,

It looks like your shaft zinc is really close to the forward end of your cutlass bearing/strut (from the limited angle of your picture). I usually leave an inch (one shaft diameter) but I suspect less is OK. This allows unrestricted water flow to/through your cutlass bearing.

Mark

I think it is about 3/4". I keep putting it back were the old one was. All seems to be working OK, but thanks.