• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 37 Revival

Captaingabe

I’m currently bringing back to life an Ericson 37 that’s been on a mooring for far too long.
Mast is off and completely rerigged.

Aluminum chain plates for the shrouds are in pretty tough shape.
Who has replaced, or sistered up new chain plates and how have they held up?

Please advise

gabe

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Welcome to the forum, Gabe. The 37 is a beautiful boat. Aluminum chainplates? I didn't think aluminum would be strong enough.

gadangit

Member III
I’m currently bringing back to life an Ericson 37 that’s been on a mooring for far too long.
Mast is off and completely rerigged.

Aluminum chain plates for the shrouds are in pretty tough shape.
Who has replaced, or sistered up new chain plates and how have they held up?

Please advise

gabe

I cut off the tang below the deck and bolted a 3/8" SS plate in it's place. I put a piece of nylon shower pan liner between them and bushings at the bolts to prevent any galvanic corrosion of the aluminum. The picture shows 3 of the 6 bolts holding it all together. Pretty simple job, but I recall drilling straight holes was a challenge.

IMG_20180507_093038202.jpg

Chris

Captaingabe

I did manage to find this picture but I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at.
in the background I can see another structure with large holes in it that looks like the ring frame that my chain plate tangs are located on.
So my question remains, did the chain plates actually hold up under some good sailing and what am I looking at in this picture?

gadangit

Member III
I did manage to find this picture but I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at.
in the background I can see another structure with large holes in it that looks like the ring frame that my chain plate tangs are located on.
So my question remains, did the chain plates actually hold up under some good sailing and what am I looking at in this picture?

The 39 came with two sets of aluminum chainplates. The background chainplates with holes is the aft lower chainplate. There is almost no load on this chainplate which accounts for it's thinner material. I didn't modify these and they are just fine.

The picture is of the V1 shroud chainplate. This was damaged above deck (clevis pin hole was elongated) and fixed with a SS chainplate.

Yes, everything is just fine on my boat. What are you trying to fix? Do you have a picture?

Captaingabe

Bingo!!
That’s the info I needed.
I was under the assumption that you had a 37 also, hence my confusion.
The aluminum plates were so corroded that the splayed the toggle on the turnbuckle open so wide the it sheared the cotter pin on the cleavis pin. After cleaning them up a little looks like there is a quarter inch of good aluminum left on the inboard stays. There are no fore and aft lowers and the shrouds are set pretty far inboard requiring more tension in the rigging , which is why I’m concerned . The holes are not elongated, but since the mast is off and completely rerigged , I wanted to make sure all my bases were covered.

im very grateful this forum exists and appreciate your input