• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Storage Compartment Covers

David Grimm

E38-200
The finger hole in my cockpit storage compartments has exposed wood. Is this normal or did the PO drill them out? I'm suspicious that on a 35 year old boat one would think the wood would have rotted by now. Check out the photos!

Attachments

• 20190304_155822.jpg
    20190304_155822.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190304_155912.jpg
    20190304_155912.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 12

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks Christian, My starboard cover had a 2 inch hollowed out hole in it for clearance of an old propane tank. The aft lower section had some delamination and rot. I cut away the loose fiberglass and filled the section with some slow curing epoxy. Then with some ez tex and a socket wrapped with tape made the finger hole a little smaller but sealed! I'll sand it and give the bottom a coat of pettit ezpoxy.

Attachments

• 20190304_192421.jpg
    20190304_192421.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190304_192436.jpg
    20190304_192436.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 11

fool

Member III
Hello David,

Nice job on the restoration to your cover. I've got teak finger pulls installed in mine. I'll have to try to knock one out to see if it is held in by friction or glue. For the longest time the covers were held in place by an aluminum post that supported the pushpit rail seats. They were also held in place by an interior hook and bungee cord arrangement.

I took the rail seats off for cleaning so the support doesn't hold the lid down any longer. I'll be experimenting with some ultra-thin magnetic drawer closers just in case the bungee thing gets tired or I get tired of it. A web and buckle arrangement holds the canisters in place.

I've also trimmed a bit of Dri-Deck to go in the bottom to support the base of the propane tanks. I got tired of seeing an accumulation of dirt around the bottom of the tank each time it came out for refill. It must be working because I haven't looked under the Dri-Deck and the dirt accumulation isn't bothersome anymore.

Regards,

Max

Navman

Member III
cockpit storage

Mine have the teak finger pulls also. One of them eventually cracked and i replaced it with one found at WM. All of my interior access hatches for storage areas beneath the cushions also have the finger pulls.

David Grimm

E38-200
Wow, thanks guys. I knew that bare hole wasn't the fit and finnish of an Ericson. I'm going to look for some teak finger pulls and epoxy them in place. Max Home Depot has some extremely strong rare earth magnets. Not sure if they will hold up to the weather. May need to coat them in epoxy. I figure 4 magnets with a small safty string just in case it pops off in rough weather.

Dave

mfield

Member III
I figure 4 magnets with a small safty string just in case it pops off in rough weather.

Dave

I also have a teak ring - the covers are held on by a short shock chord from the side of the propane compartment to the middle of the cover.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For what it's worth, I find the bungee cord system (factory) brilliant. The key is two loops per lid, each with moderate tension. You reach under and attached one loop, then the second. The result is a two-bungee-strong holding force without need for hardware.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Damn your eyes! I've got one with the teak plug and one missing it. Never noticed before you guys brought it up. Now I've got one more thing on the fix it list.

Thinking if the sizes are right I could turn a new one out of a PVC pipe fitting on the lathe. Would hold up better than the teak and not as prone to cracking when that thin. Or just turn some new ones out of teak if that doesn't work.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
These things are out there from various sources.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Teak Finger Pulls -- 2 Pack -- 5/8" Barrel Length-- Whitecap - AFI - 60145 -- FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING
$7.75

See More Drawer Pulls & Handles Teak Finger Pulls -- Item 60145 -- Recess mount. Recess barrel length is 5/8". Fits 1-1/4" diameter...

[/FONT]

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Teak Finger Pulls -- 2 Pack -- 5/8" Barrel Length-- Whitecap - AFI - 60145 -- FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING
$7.75

See More Drawer Pulls & Handles Teak Finger Pulls -- Item 60145 -- Recess mount. Recess barrel length is 5/8". Fits 1-1/4" diameter...

[/FONT]

</body>