• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Would you take your Ericson offshore?

sgwright67

Member III
By offshore, I mean, would you take your current Ericson to the South Pacific, for example?

As I approach the one year mark in my search for a boat, I am considering widening my search in several ways, or at least more seriously than I have been. This means increasing my budget (from my current 25K CAD to whatever it takes), being prepared to look at boats further from home (BC), and considering boats that are suitable for offshore passage-making, and for a couple living aboard for months at a time. Yes, this may all seem premature for a first boat, but quite frankly, this process is wearing on me. I have put off going on a holiday as it always seemed that the right boat might be around the corner. I certainly don't want to do this again in a year or two.

I have grown really fond of Ericsons, and like the great support and community of this group, but I don't want to overlook other suitable candidates. I also like most of Carl Alberg's designs, but aside from some very tired looking Alberg 30s, there are few on the West coast (only one Cape Dory on YW).

So, would you take (or have you taken) an Ericson for extended offshore cruising? If so, what would/did you do to it in preparation for such a trip, and if not, why, and what boat would you choose instead?

For now, let's just ignore the fact that I have little cruising experience, shall we? :)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
100%

My 32-III has been to Kaua'i and back in Christian's capable hands.

My experience in Ericsons includes offshore passages (deliveries) in 34s and 36s.

Ryan's 38 has been to the south Pacific

Pajo and Ava are in the south Pacific now on their 35-2

Others have been all through the Caribbean, Mexico, Nicaragua, etc.

If we looked a bit, I bet we'd find some that have crossed the Atlantic as well.

A heavier boat isn't necessarily a better boat....

$.02

kari

Member III
An E27 had the record from San Francisco to Japan and back I read here somewhere . . . And yes search Christian Williams here . . .

sgwright67

Member III
100%

My 32-III has been to Kaua'i and back in Christian's capable hands.

My experience in Ericsons includes offshore passages (deliveries) in 34s and 36s.

Ryan's 38 has been to the south Pacific

Pajo and Ava are in the south Pacific now on their 35-2

Others have been all through the Caribbean, Mexico, Nicaragua, etc.

If we looked a bit, I bet we'd find some that have crossed the Atlantic as well.

A heavier boat isn't necessarily a better boat....

$.02

Thanks! There is also the E29 (http://www.trafficated.com/) that went around.

Christian's video of his Hawaii trip on what is now your boat was actually the first video I watched almost a year ago, after returning from Belize with a burning desire to finally get a boat. I have wanted a sailboat since I first sailed Lasers and FJs as a kid.

And just to clarify on my original post, I have NO intention of setting off without first getting to know the boat by cruising our local BC waters, for as long as it takes; I know that I will never get tired of the scenery here, just the weather sometimes. :)

I have read many of the posts on here (and other forums) about preparing a boat for bluewater, and know that the opinions range widely. A friend has gone around the globe twice (including Cape Horn), once in an Albin Vega 27, and again on their current boat, a Vancouver 27. I doubt that I will be that ambitious.

I hoped to hear from those of you with more experience about what your current or past Ericsons have done, where they came up short, and what you might do differently in terms of bluewater preparation.

I have read with interest about Pajo's 35-2 adventures, but also noted the comments about the hull weakness of this design, which got me wondering two things: first, how much better are the TAFG designs in this regard; and second, of the 70s Ericsons (27,29,32,35) in this size range I would consider, which is the most stout? Examining the specs, I had concluded that the 27 or 29 might be a bit stiffer than the 32 or 35 due to the shorter overhangs, and higher DWL ratio, which could reduce the hull flex Pajo describes. Of course, I am well aware that there are many factors to consider, and hull strength is just one of them, but it would seem to me that if the hull is flexing in rough seas, then this will increase the stress on the rigging.

Thanks

sgwright67

Member III
Spring thaw is happening...

I just got a call from a broker I've worked with on a few boats, who has an Alberg 30 coming up for under $10K. Interestingly, a Hullmaster 27 also appeared today at $13K. Both are full keelers with 2GM engines and both are pretty solid designs. Not as fun to sail as an Ericson though. Also a nice little Paceship 26 for cheap ($3K) in good shape. So it seems the selection is improving around here. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
>>>where they came up short, and what you might do differently in terms of bluewater preparation.

The long version of all I know is in the blogs and videos listed in the signature line.

The short version: E38

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?557-Ericson-38-Refit-after-Hawaii-Cruise-2017

E32-3

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?218-Refitting-Thelonious

Thanks, Christian! I've read all your blogs, but I will re-visit these two for another read.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As for offshore experience, my EY-built design, the Olson 34, has multiple trips (sister ships) to Hawaii and back. Most of these were single handing, BTW.

I have only taken our Olson up and down the Washington coast, and can certify that in 5 foot seas it is really solid, with no creaks or complaints.

You also mention that, in effect, you casting a rather wide net and are willing to consider a 26 footer. If so, a friend of mine at the YC has moved up and is selling his O'Day 26 with Yanmar inboard now. Solid double axle trailer, too. Let me know if you are maybe interested. (He wants it sold immediately -- just bought an older C&C 38.)

Edit: There are quite a few other threads here about "Ericsons Offshore" and this is a long one......
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...Ericson-Blue-Water-Capabilities&referrerid=28

Last edited:

KTROBI_VALHALLA

Member II
Absolutely!.....and that's the plan.....but with some caveats.

I am in the middle of a 'Long, Slow, Refit' with the intention of making the 'big left turn' from the Puget Sound and then the 'Pacific Puddle Jump' from somewhere in Mexico.
Ive completed an extensive repower with a new Beta 38, a complete rerigging (standing, running and tackle), overhauling of electrical, lighting, communications and electronics, new sails are on order, and I plan on introducing alternative power sources (solar and wind). The big outstanding expenditure will be a self steering vane. I have high confidence in the boat, its the skipper I am worried about! All my experience is in coastal cruising in various locations (Cape Cod, Chesapeake Bay, Windward Islands in the Caribbean, and Huraki Gulf in New Zealand, and many years here in our beautiful Salish Sea. I plan on bolstering that experience with extended trips up the Inside Passage to Alaska and sailing back down the west coast of the panhandle and west coast of Vancouver Island. While not heavy on the bluewater exposure it will be a good test for the boat and the skipper. I am concerned with the ongoing and pesky 'mild' osmosis condition on the hull. Blisters do appear on almost every haul out. While most are 'cosmetic' or shallow a few, on occasion go deeper into the fibers. They get fixed at every haul out when the appear and I monitor moisture levels which keeps the issue to a dull roar, but still a concern. I am still confident in Valhalla's ability to handle extended bluewater cruising. And its comforting to see the track record of Christian, Ryan, and Paj. Best of luck in your search!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
...And Ignacio and Christian Lloyd (blogs here), and Guy Stevens (currently in Marquesas) and Phil McFarland, E 35 MkII #184 Sail a Vie, "Sailed to Mexico and back in 98. Did the Single Handed TransPac in 2000, 2004 and 2006. Sailing to Mexico again in 07 and SSS Trans Pac again in 2010 God willing."

sgwright67

Member III
Absolutely!.....and that's the plan.....but with some caveats.

I am in the middle of a 'Long, Slow, Refit' with the intention of making the 'big left turn' from the Puget Sound and then the 'Pacific Puddle Jump' from somewhere in Mexico.
Ive completed an extensive repower with a new Beta 38, a complete rerigging (standing, running and tackle), overhauling of electrical, lighting, communications and electronics, new sails are on order, and I plan on introducing alternative power sources (solar and wind). The big outstanding expenditure will be a self steering vane. I have high confidence in the boat, its the skipper I am worried about! All my experience is in coastal cruising in various locations (Cape Cod, Chesapeake Bay, Windward Islands in the Caribbean, and Huraki Gulf in New Zealand, and many years here in our beautiful Salish Sea. I plan on bolstering that experience with extended trips up the Inside Passage to Alaska and sailing back down the west coast of the panhandle and west coast of Vancouver Island. While not heavy on the bluewater exposure it will be a good test for the boat and the skipper. I am concerned with the ongoing and pesky 'mild' osmosis condition on the hull. Blisters do appear on almost every haul out. While most are 'cosmetic' or shallow a few, on occasion go deeper into the fibers. They get fixed at every haul out when the appear and I monitor moisture levels which keeps the issue to a dull roar, but still a concern. I am still confident in Valhalla's ability to handle extended bluewater cruising. And its comforting to see the track record of Christian, Ryan, and Paj. Best of luck in your search!

Thanks for your reply. I am curious if you have considered a barrier coat to keep those blisters away, considering all the other expenditures? I just thought of it after reading a few threads here on the topic, but I know there are differing opinions on going this route. Also curious if you're willing to share in round figures what your re-rigging and other items set you back, and how much work you have done yourself. As I widen my search to include both larger and more expensive boats, I need to factor in how many of these maintenance and upgrade items have been done, and if not, what they will cost. Also, as spring quickly approaches, I am tending to lean towards turnkey rather than project boats, as I don't want the boat needing work when I'd rather be sailing. I am going to look at the following boat on Saturday, but I hope that an Ericson appears before then, as I may be tempted to buy it. It is reportedly rigged for offshore, and is a well regarded Ted Brewer design. We'll see...

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/27-Hullmaster_33030459

p.gazibara

Member III
I can weigh in,

The is something to be said about taking a “light boat” across an ocean. Loads are smaller, and you really get to feel things.

The experience I described was from a previous owner. Cinderella was pushed very hard in her life. She once carried the name Scampi and was parked in slip one of the SF Yacht club. Pushed very hard around the bay before the PO bought her and renamed her Cinderella. She was then pushed very hard until the interior pan separated. Something I would expect in any of the gen 2 designs if they are pushed that hard.... Maybe after crossing an ocean or two.

I have a feeling things might be better in the gen 3 when they started the triaxle grid or whatever they call it.

With a few stiffeners in key places, the flex goes away. Cinderella now is quite a boat, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take her anywhere. But there is some serious sweat equity involved to get her to that point.

you should consider looking for boats in the SP. lots of boats are just waiting for new owners here in Tahiti... and a one way ticket can be had on French Bee for less than $200 from San Fran.

The hard part is already done and the sailing here is amazing. Warm, clear water. Protected anchorages, amazing people.

Of course the experience crossing the Pacific and going down the west coast is something special and you may want that experience.