• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bent rudder post - need help

gafnigil

bent rudder post - please help :)

We have just got an old (late 70s) Ericson boat, it is a fixed keel looks like an E25 or E25 +
We have sailed it from Berkeley, CA toward Moss Landing, CA, and we hit some rocks out of Half Moon Bay, CA ( I know, not a very smart thing to do...)

we ended up with a bent rudder post, the rudder was a bit chipped on the bottom.

We want to find a solution so we could move the boat from Half Moon Bay to Moss landing where we plan to work on it

If anyone knows about
1. How to fix a bent rudder
2. Where to buy a used rudder

Any tip/advise is welcome

Thanks

Gil :esad:
(408) 605 8166
gil.gafni@ieee.org

gafnigil

We have just got an old (late 70s) Ericson boat, it is a fixed keel looks like an E25 or E25 +
We have sailed it from Berkeley, CA toward Moss Landing, CA, and we hit some rocks out of Half Moon Bay, CA ( I know, not a very smart thing to do...)

we ended up with a bent rudder post, the rudder was a bit chipped on the bottom.

We want to find a solution so we could move the boat from Half Moon Bay to Moss landing where we plan to work on it

If anyone knows about
1. How to fix a bent rudder
2. Where to buy a used rudder

Any tip/advise is welcome

Thanks

Gil :esad:
(408) 605 8166
gil.gafni@ieee.org

rssailor

Used rudder

I am not sure where you would find a used rudder. Post on the main part of the site. Bet you will get some good responses. What year is your boat. If it is masthead, then it is a 25, if fractional a 25+. Ryan

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Contact Foss

I would contact Foss Foam (http://www.newrudders.com/ ) and ask them - as I know that the California Foss (and no, I'm not sure if these two are related - but you've got nothing to lose) were the ones who supplied most of the Ericson line to start with.

If nothing else, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Perhaps you'll just have to pull it off, send it to them and let them straighten the post out... Let us know what happens, please...

//sse

ps: BTW - I moved your thread to this forum from the So. Cal forum so you'll get more readers... :D

gafnigil

New Rudder from the Foss Company

Just for the record -
We ended up buying a brand new rudder from the Foss Company in Santa Ana, CA.

Thank for all the advises

Fair Winds

:egrin:

Gil

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
gafnigil said:
Just for the record -
We ended up buying a brand new rudder from the Foss Company in Santa Ana, CA.

Thank for all the advises

Fair Winds

:egrin:

Gil

Ah! Well, see - I was close, then. That counts for something, right? Partial credit? :p

//sse

John Bouchard

Member II
My 2 cents worth...

I wish I had seen this question earlier, although purchasing a new rudder was probably the best option for you.

A few years ago, pre-Ericson 32, I hit a rock while motoring my Pearson Renegade (27' - spade rudder aft). I was traveling about 3 knots. I happened to be watching the depth, and saw the depth change rapidly from 8 ft to 4 ft. So I swung to port, and the keel missed the rock, but the rudder didn't. It bent the 2 inch bronze post and the rudder up - to just about match the hull - angling up. This occurred at the southwest end of the Cape Code Canal - and I could only go in two directions: slightly to port, and hard to port. (I had to make large or small circles to get out of there.... My rescue is a different story for a different time...) This was early in the season, too!

Anyway, we eventually went under with a snorkel/mask, and using a bow-saw, cut off a wedge shaped piece off the top of the rudder. It was about 2 inches deep, tapering off to zero at the rudder post. This allowed us to sail/steer the boat normally for the rest of the summer - although it wasn't very smooth! BTW - tiller steering.

That winter I dropped the rudder/post, and we were able to find a shop that straightened out the post, without removing/damaging the remaining rudder. We had access to another Renegade, and used that rudder as a model.

A friend who is "in the business" then rebuilt/built-up/reshaped my rudder, and gelcoated it. The following summer, the "new" rudder worked and performed just as well, if not better, than previous.

It cost about $150 to straighten the post, and about $600 in rebuilding. Of course, I also spent nearly an entire season with some lame steering, too.

Anyway, that's my story. The point? Hmnnn, I'm not sure, but I guess if you can find the right shops and assistance, a bent/damaged rudder can sometimes be repaired. John B.