• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

For sale 1984 e-26

Lproulx

Larry
INFORMATIONSHEET

SEADUCTRESS

Available forpurchase by its second owner, Seaductress is a 1984 Ericson 26. Note that it differs from a later version of the boat, sometimescalled a 26-2, that has much less interior wood work and presents aless yacht-like appearance. It is also not quite the same boat asdescribed in the included Practical Sailor review, being generallymore sophisticated, although having fundamentally the same hull.

The boat wasacquired by the present owner new from a dealer in Gloucester Mass. It was the star of the 1984 Boston Boat Show. The boat has manyquality features as described in the included Practical Sailorreview.

Improvements bythe present owner include changing the former fractional 7/8 rig to amasthead rig, which eliminated the need for the former running backstays and made tacking easier for casual sailing. The resultinglarger jib also provides better performance in light air.

Sails arevirtually new, including a Doyle main with lazy jacks and Doyle StakPak sail storage system. The nearly new Doyle 150 Genoa has aHarken roller furler.

The boat has aconventional Spinnaker in good condition, but the owners have retiredform racing and removed the spinnaker halyard due to interferencewith the furler.

The Yanmar 1GMengine has been utterly reliable. It was fitted with a new cylinderhead about 7 years ago because of damage due to a leak in the exhaustelbow. The engine starts and runs perfectly, driving the boat via aMartec folding prop. A remote oil filter installation makes oilchanging much cleaner and easier.

The interiorfeatures new V-berth cushions of thicker than stock foam covered inSunbrella fabric, as well as several re-upholstered main cabincushions. There is a vinyl headliner, and other than the setteebases, no visible fiberglass. All the other surfaces are finishedwith teak.

The originalKenyon alcohol stove was removed, creating storage space where it hadbeen and a large flat surface to serve as a chart table. A portableOrigo alcohol stove comes with the boat.

Electronicsinclude the usual speed, depth, and wind, which are fundamentallyoperable. but need some work. The knot meter needs a new paddlewheel. The wind instrument had its wiring damaged during maststepping a few years ago. The Garmin chart plotter makes navigationeasy, intuitive and stress free.

The includedRay Marine auto pilot will steer the boat better than the human pilotcan.

The boat is acompetitive racer, having been quite successful in North Shoreevening racing for a number of years and once placing second out ofalmost 100 boats in the Crocker pursuit race.

There is asteel cradle with a custom made steel trailer that for many yearscarried the boat to and from its winter home in New Hampshire at 50mph or more. It is suitable for local low speed use as is, but coulduse new tires for more demanding trips.

Age issues have forced my wife and me to retire from sailing. We want Seaductress to have a good home. We have invested almost $10k in the recent dodger, sails, and sail handling equipment. We are realistic about "small" sailboat demand and values (although Seaductress always seemed "big" enough for us". We have purposely not stated an asking price. We will listen to anyone who understands the value and quality of the boat and will care for it. At this point in our lives the last dollar of selling price is not a priority.

I cannot figure out how to add multiple photos to this text. I will have about thirty good interior and exterior photos. If interested I will try to send them along. Please contact me (Larry) at larryproulx@comcast.net, or six oh three four nine four five four five seven.

Attachments

• p107552.jpg
    p107552.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 71

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
A few questions....

Hi! I'm also an owner of a 1984 Ericson 26, so I'm not in the market for yours--though I do agree that it's a great boat and wish you all the best in finding a buyer. It sounds like you've cared for your boat well.

I do have a few questions/comments for you, if you don't mind:

(1) As far as I know, the 1984 would be considered a 26-2; at least that's what I've always called mine. The straight 26 was a much older Crealock design and I thought the 26-2 designation was given to distinguish it from that.You are right that some of the later iterations of the boat had less teak with more use of carpeting on the sides of the hull, but I didn't think that was related to the 26-2 moniker. Is it possible that you are confusing the 26-2 with a 26-3? Anyway, if I'm wrong I'd like to know so I don't misrepresent what it is I own!

(2) I'm really curious about the whole switch to the masthead rig thing. You say you did that to eliminate the need for running backs? My boat does not have running backs nor have I seen that on any other E26, and these are all fractionally rigged. So there's that. But I do wonder what sort of difference you noticed when you went to a masthead rig. How did it change the balance of the boat? Anyway, just curious as to what differences you noticed, especially since it appears that you raced the boat at one time.

(3) One suggestion you might consider is editing your post to eliminate the many run together words that are lacking spacing between them. (At least that's how it looks to me.) I'm assuming something got messed up when you cut and pasted the text from some other source.

(4) Yes, yours is not the first head on a 1GM to get trashed by that exhaust elbow. Those do have to be inspected as a regular maintenance item. But the engines are quite reliable overall and I'm sure yours has got plenty of life left in it with that newish head.

Sure love to see more pics of your boat if you decide to post them!

Again, good luck on your sale.

Last edited: