• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1990 Bruce King design for sale.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yeah, Ken, that's one very sweet and impressive yacht!! But how would I single hand her, given that I single hand about 70% of the time??: :)
Frank

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Lovely boat, but I could probably afford to get myself an asym for that 2.2mil :) I could even afford a dousing sock!

Bruce King

Beautiful boat/ship.

I am a proud owner of Sketcher, my 1983 35-3.
Am also a furniture designer mostly designing for mass production. Sometimes I have the opportunity to design a collection of high-end furniture....both categories are inspirational.

That's what I love about Bruce King's designs.....he can do both, design a line of awesome Ericsons and also a one-off yacht.

The man is talented.

Hilco on Sketcher

supersailor

Contributing Partner
As a small comparasion om building times, the 108 foot Schooner Mariette was built in 1915 in seven months at the Herreshoff yard. Quite an amazing feat in the era of no computers and crude tools. The boat is simpler (still around) but was not four and a half years simpler. Those old shipwrights were quite amazing.

If you look at the profiles, Bruce King stands tall in a very august crowd.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Meh. too much wood to take care of. I'll keep my Ericson (laughing)

kapnkd

kapnkd

What a DREAM BOAT by my favorite Marine Naval Architect! I'm saving the website so I can return and fantasize about the boat I'd LOVE to have someday owned!

Alas - Was then and is NOW out of my price range or ability to handle by oneself! But then - WHAT FUN TO DREAM and admire the design, craftsmanship and elegance of her beauty!

This is a ship that could be a joint venture with a couple (or two) who probably would hardly ever see each other on board given her size! :egrin::egrin::newwink:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Mixed feelings

She’s yar, but I just kept thinking about maintenance 32 feet is just enough Bruce for me.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Don't forget docking fees and limited docks able to handle all that excess length. Oh! and crew costs. Replacing the standing rigging and the nose bleed you would get replacing it. Bet you can't single hand it. How about a new jib?

My 34 looks great.

kapnkd

kapnkd
She’s yar, but I just kept thinking about maintenance 32 feet is just enough Bruce for me.

TRUE! 46 years of taking care of our 32 has been more than enough contentment and (of course) work for me as well as my son! ;/))

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Totally gorgeous - I love the woodwork everywhere (I don't want the job of maintaining the varnish) and the design of the main saloon and the cockpit.
I'd guess that maintenance and running costs for a boat like that would run about 0.75-1M/year. Plus ~$300K/yr for boat captain and 1-2 additional full time crew, and as-needed additional crew when guests are on board.
These are toys and status symbols for people who would see an annual running cost of ~1M/yr to be a rounding error on their overall net (multi-billion) income.
It would probably cost well north of $100K to charter it for a week - that would help pay for some of the running costs. :nerd:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
As a small comparasion om building times, the 108 foot Schooner Mariette was built in 1915 in seven months at the Herreshoff yard. Quite an amazing feat in the era of no computers and crude tools. The boat is simpler (still around) but was not four and a half years simpler. Those old shipwrights were quite amazing.

If you look at the profiles, Bruce King stands tall in a very august crowd.

Comparing Mariette to Signe is apples to oranges. Mariette is a traditional plank on frame with an old school rig. Signe is cold molded wood epoxy with vastly more complex interior and systems engineering. Nothing against old school shipwrights, but they never had to deal with vacuum bags, honeycombed bulkheads, hydraulic winches, furling, a mizzenmast that penetrates a skylight, etc. etc.

Martin

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Totally gorgeous - I love the woodwork everywhere (I don't want the job of maintaining the varnish) and the design of the main saloon and the cockpit.
I'd guess that maintenance and running costs for a boat like that would run about 0.75-1M/year. Plus ~$300K/yr for boat captain and 1-2 additional full time crew, and as-needed additional crew when guests are on board.
These are toys and status symbols for people who would see an annual running cost of ~1M/yr to be a rounding error on their overall net (multi-billion) income.
It would probably cost well north of $100K to charter it for a week - that would help pay for some of the running costs. :nerd:

Dude - You already know that if you gotta ask, you can't afford it.
:egrin: