• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Importing a US boat into Canada

sgwright67

Member III
Hello Vikings,

As I expand my search south of the border, I am wondering... are there any Canadians in the group who have knowledge of, or experience with, buying a US boat and bringing it back to Canada? Some of things I am curious about may also be common knowledge for US owners. As I see it, there are 3 possible scenarios for us buying a boat in the US, in order of decreasing likelihood:

1. Buy a boat in Washington and sail it home to BC, after spending some time in US waters getting familiar with the boat.
2. Buy a boat further away, and have it trucked to Washington, then follow option 1.
3. Buy a boat in California, sail it locally for a while, then either sail it home to BC, or south to Mexico, which is where we really want to be anyway.

I have read up on the import process, and know that I might register it at a Canadian port of entry, and pay the PST in BC.

Things I am not too sure about:

Insurance: I am not sure if it is a simple matter for a non-resident to get insurance while the boat is in the US.

US boat registration transfer: Are there restrictions for a Canadian registering a US boat? I assume I will need to transfer the title/registration in the US before I can register it in Canada.

Payment: If I go through a broker, I assume there will be some assistance with payment and the above issues, but for a private sale, what forms of payment are typically accepted in the US?

I assume I will deal with the same survey and haulout issues as here at home.

Anything else I might have missed? It's probably a long shot that we'll go this route, given that US pricing after exchange, transport, hassle, and possibly incurring double sales taxes will unlikely prove to make a boat very compelling.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Best bet is to contact a broker and ask what the process is.

When I was looking for a boat, I considered a couple that were in BC, which would have meant the opposite problem for me - how to get a CAN-registered boat into the US?

I was told (this was a few years ago), that it was relatively simple; complete the transaction - i.e., exchange payment for title and bill of sale - at the customs dock, then take my title and ID to the US Customs office at the dock, pay the appropriate "import duty" (**) and go on my way. I'd still have to take care of Washington-state registration, Washington-state taxes on the purchase price, etc, but getting the boat across the border was (I'm told) simple.

** I was told that if the boat was of US or Canadian origin, the import duty would be waived thanks to NAFTA. Not sure what the situation is now

I'm no lawyer and this is not legal advice, but that "seems" to be consistent with the guidance that the US Customs and Border Patrol website provides for "importing a boat from Canada"

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1184/~/importing-a-boat-for-personal-use-into-the-u.s.

I suspect that the process would be similar going the other direction - calling a broker would be a good place to start.

Calling CBSA would probably be good, too. I found this info, but it isn't particularly detailed...

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/imp-mar-eng.html

Bruce

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would agree that a "pro" might be a good choice. But.... having imported a CN sailboat into the US once my experience was that I received great advice from the Customs folks on both sides when I called them prior to finalizing the deal.
The CN person was bemused that I worried about properly "checking out" when I left and said not to worry. The US Customs guy told me how much % the Duty would be to import the boat (nowadays I believe that there is no longer any duty to pay), and what form(s) to bring them. I pulled into Port Angeles after a very rough crossing from Victoria and called in. Nice fellow came to the boat, looked at my bill of sale and survey, accepted my check, and I was all legal.

Note that I paid the seller with a cashiers check, and US Customs accepted my personal check.

Actually..... getting it titled in Oregon was a bit more drawn out. Turned out that my 26 footer did not have to have a title in BC at that time (just it's registration # on the boat) , so there was nothing to transfer. A couple of back-n-forth letters later they accepted my paperwork and issued a new Oregon title. They are (rightfully) very cautious about creating a title to what might possibly be a stolen vessel.

But times change, and things might be different now....
I would always start first with the Customs folks.... take detailed notes. :nerd:

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
TItles

I've had to get lost or missing titles replaced a few times, for various reasons. Twenty years ago, Washington confiscated a good Oregon title, (due to lack of VIN) and told me that I could reapply for a new one in three years. To allow time for any theft reports to circulate. (Really, the thing had been in my family since before VINs existed...) Meanwhile, I moved back to Oregon - hmm - I guess I never did ever get that title back. But nowadays, they just check an on-line database and it's done the same day. After you pay the extra $50 fee, of course.

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Thirteen years ago, purchased NAKESA in Connecticut and had her trucked across the continent to North Vancouver. As I vaguely recollect, wired money to the broker who had title, and in turn received a Bill of Sale; at Canadian Border Services, a customs broker handled the paperwork and settled GST and PST (which we had sent him); my Vancouver insurance broker had put a policy in place at closing. The transaction, transport and delivery worked out well and I’d certainly do it again (if and when the Canadian peso is at least on par with the greenback).

You may want to check with a BC yacht broker as to what taxes and tariffs are applicable: GST & PST for sure; believe that the drama teacher trying to act like our Prime Minister imposed a tariff or duty on boats coming from the US into Canada, as a response to the USA imposed tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum (no disrespect to teachers intended).

sgwright67

Member III
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks, all, for the great info. I will continue to look at boats on the West coast, but until I get frustrated enough to increase my budget significantly, it probably doesn't make sense to go further Washington, especially since boats up to $30K seem to be just as cheap up here, once exchange is factored in. Chances are, if the boat is really cheap, there is a good reason for it. I'll consider a bit of a project boat if it's local, but importing one is probably up there with accepting a free boat in terms of the craziness factor. :)

Kevin A Wright

Member III
There is one more option you could look into depending on where you live in BC. A lot of Canadians in Vancouver seem to like having a US boat and keeping it in Point Roberts. Not sure of all the reasons but got the impression cost was one factor (taxes? Vancouver moorage rates???). The PO of my boat was a professor at UBC and kept her in Point Roberts, so when I bought her I just had to drive up (clearing customs twice along the way) to Point Roberts, hop on the boat and sail her home. Anyway didn't seem like registration, insurance, etc. was a problem for them being Canadian and keeping a boat in the US.

Good Luck

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

sgwright67

Member III
I have noticed a few listings for boats in Point Roberts, so I assumed there might be something like this going on. Where I am, on Vancouver Island, it's a bit too far away for that to be feasible, but it's a good option for Vancouver folks. I will keep this in mind for a possible temporary moorage location if I do find a boat in the US.

Thanks!