• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New to me Ericson 32 200 - And my to do list from the survey

frosero7744

Member II
Just bought a 1990 Ericson 32 200 in Alameda this last weekend. The inspector was OMG thorough and sent a honey must and honey do at leisure. Im looking for any advise or pointers for completing. This is my first real boat with mucho systems to monitor and maintain. Thank you for all y'alls patience. Been following this site for over a year already. This boat has the Yanmar diesel.

Honey must
1. Replace Exhaust hose. Access suggestions? manufacture?
2. remove squeeze bulbs from fuel line (PO used them to prime after a filter change, any opinions here? seems functional)

Honey do's
1. Install a high vent loop for the engine cooling water
2. Install a sea water strainer for engine cooling
3. Add a water lift muffler with a high loop in the exhaust hose
4. Install a fail safe galvanic isolator. The prop has some pitting presumed to be from Dc leakage somewhere.
5. Replace the fuel vent hose

fernando
Ericson 32 200
Bona Venture

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just bought a 1990 Ericson 32 200 in Alameda this last weekend. The inspector was OMG thorough and sent a honey must and honey do at leisure. Im looking for any advise or pointers for completing. This is my first real boat with mucho systems to monitor and maintain. Thank you for all y'alls patience. Been following this site for over a year already. This boat has the Yanmar diesel.

Honey must
1. Replace Exhaust hose. Access suggestions? manufacture?
2. remove squeeze bulbs from fuel line (PO used them to prime after a filter change, any opinions here? seems functional)

Honey do's
1. Install a high vent loop for the engine cooling water
2. Install a sea water strainer for engine cooling
3. Add a water lift muffler with a high loop in the exhaust hose
4. Install a fail safe galvanic isolator. The prop has some pitting presumed to be from Dc leakage somewhere.
5. Replace the fuel vent hose

fernando
Ericson 32 200
Bona Venture

Welcome to the group!
Trivia: We had money down on an E-32-200, but that deal did not gel. Then we found an Olson 34 and bought it.
This purchase was our first foray into "large boat" ownership. First time for an inboard diesel also.
Wee Bit of a learning curve, but interesting...
:nerd:
We found our boat in Alameda also, and had it trucked to Portland. Small world!

You can source exhaust hose at any industrial hose vendor or from the 'net. I found that water was starting to seep thru the outer layers of the rubber on our old hose during 2017, and that's pretty good service for a 1988 product. I would have replaced it, but replaced the whole engine instead, and the new hose was a different size.

You should have a short hose section from the engine to the water lift muffler and then a longer one to the transom fitting. And yes your boat does have (or should have, since that's normal for a diesel) such a muffler. If your surveyor did not locate the muffler, I wonder why?
:confused:
I installed a sea water strainer the first year after purchase. I went with a cheaper plastic one, and when it cracked, installed a more expensive Groco with the bronze housing... and should have done that in the first place.

I did later install a galvanic isolator. Lots smaller and cheaper than an isolation transformer, altho the later solution is actually preferred.

If your engine still has the old (original...) hoses, I would replace them all. Soon. :0
Fuel -- supply, return, and vent. Also the fill hose from the deck fitting.
Take a real close look at all of the coolant hoses, while you are getting better acquainted with the little dear. It's a whole new 'relationship'.... !

As for the squeeze bulb, I am told that these have to be located outside the engine compartment for fire safety reasons. I have not heard that they are banned tho. Perhaps a recent change in ABYC standards? The Yanmar likely does not have an electric lift pump like the Universal diesels installed in 99% of the Ericson's. And the little mechanical hand pump on the engine is probably tedious to operate. So it's good to have a way to easily bleed out the air after a filter change.

BTW, and you did not mention it, but does your boat have the Halon fire suppression bottle like the stock install in our '88? There is a recent picture in my blog here.

Note that you can attach some photos of parts to help illustrate your questions, too.

Regards,
Loren

frosero7744

Member II
Welcome to the group!
Trivia: We had money down on an E-32-200, but that deal did not gel. Then we found an Olson 34 and bought it.
This purchase was our first foray into "large boat" ownership. First time for an inboard diesel also.
Wee Bit of a learning curve, but interesting...
:nerd:
We found our boat in Alameda also, and had it trucked to Portland. Small world!

You can source exhaust hose at any industrial hose vendor or from the 'net. I found that water was starting to seep thru the outer layers of the rubber on our old hose during 2017, and that's pretty good service for a 1988 product. I would have replaced it, but replaced the whole engine instead, and the new hose was a different size.

You should have a short hose section from the engine to the water lift muffler and then a longer one to the transom fitting. And yes your boat does have (or should have, since that's normal for a diesel) such a muffler. If your surveyor did not locate the muffler, I wonder why?
:confused:
I installed a sea water strainer the first year after purchase. I went with a cheaper plastic one, and when it cracked, installed a more expensive Groco with the bronze housing... and should have done that in the first place.

I did later install a galvanic isolator. Lots smaller and cheaper than an isolation transformer, altho the later solution is actually preferred.

If your engine still has the old (original...) hoses, I would replace them all. Soon. :0
Fuel -- supply, return, and vent. Also the fill hose from the deck fitting.
Take a real close look at all of the coolant hoses, while you are getting better acquainted with the little dear. It's a whole new 'relationship'.... !

As for the squeeze bulb, I am told that these have to be located outside the engine compartment for fire safety reasons. I have not heard that they are banned tho. Perhaps a recent change in ABYC standards? The Yanmar likely does not have an electric lift pump like the Universal diesels installed in 99% of the Ericson's. And the little mechanical hand pump on the engine is probably tedious to operate. So it's good to have a way to easily bleed out the air after a filter change.

BTW, and you did not mention it, but does your boat have the Halon fire suppression bottle like the stock install in our '88? There is a recent picture in my blog here.

Note that you can attach some photos of parts to help illustrate your questions, too.

Regards,
Loren

Well I guess I better figure out why the water lift muffler is missing. The comment is defiantly to add, and when we were looking at the hose condition I don’t remember seeing one in place. This is not on the must do list. How bad is this?

The squeeze bulbs not interior rated I think was the comment. They are normally for outboards. PO said a mechanic suggested that to him as a fix.

Many of the the hoses were new. Besides the exhaust hose, the hoses to the water heater need to be changed. That should be fun. Haha!

2 Comments on the fixed fire bottle, engine compartment. What’s the scoop with, problematic?
1. Install an automatic shut down with override for fixed firefighting system.
2. Install opening fire extinguisher port into the engine compartment.

Well before I get a new prop on, some kind of isolation needs to take place. Sounds like I will be the hose master and exhaust system guy first off. Goodtimes.com

Thanks for the tips Loren.

Fernando

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Fernando, congratulations on your boat purchase! None of those recommendations sounds difficult to me, though they might require some learning on your part.
This is a great site, with many knowledgeable sailors, mechanics, and generally wise people.
So feel free to ask questions as you get to know your boat. It takes time, but that's also part of the fun of boat ownership.
Frank

frosero7744

Member II
There should be something like a Centek muffler.
This link has one, and a picture of how it functions.
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...xnKtxUX45CMbZ05w_Dt5QUMmatskV7gQaAp5IEALw_wcB

Does it make a difference if the exhaust port is on the bottom versus the transom? Mine is on the starboard bottom side maybe +/- foot from the aft edge.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does it make a difference if the exhaust port is on the bottom versus the transom? Mine is on the starboard bottom side maybe +/- foot from the aft edge.

I know of an Ericson 38-200, an 33RH and a 32-3, all with the exhaust exit fitting under the turn of the aft hull section and above the waterline. Ours is also above the waterline. When motoring at hull speed I have seen boats with the exhaust being engulfed by the quarter wave, but given the pressure of the exhaust being pushed out it seems to make no difference to the engine.

Only major difference between yours and most other EY boats is that your Yanmar might not have a syphon break hose going aft with the exhaust hose. But then, my new Betamarine also does not require a syphon hose either.

If you can actually see the exhaust leaving the fitting when under way, it's nice to be able to confirm that water is coming thru also and know that your raw water pump is working.

Last edited:

frosero7744

Member II
I know of an Ericson 38-200, an 33RH and a 32-3, all with the exhaust exit fitting under the turn of the aft hull section and above the waterline. Ours is also above the waterline. When motoring at hull speed I have seen boats with the exhaust being engulfed by the quarter wave, but given the pressure of the exhaust being pushed out it seems to make no difference to the engine.

Only major difference between yours and most other EY boats is that your Yanmar might not have a syphon break hose going aft with the exhaust hose. But then, my new Betamarine also does not require a syphon hose either.

If you can actually see the exhaust leaving the fitting when under way, it's nice to be able to confirm that water is coming thru also and know that your raw water pump is working.

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Going to walk down a few of these this weekend. Maybe after a quick sail. Hahaha! Thank you! Great information.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the bulb fuel pump: you can install a simple electric fuel pump for priming only. Facet pump, about $50 ("automotive," available from auto store.)

Or you can argue with the insurance company that the surveyor is a hysteric, fuel bulbs work great, this is diesel not gas, a sailboat auxiliary not a 250-horse outboard, and otherwise make your case. If you feel any survey citation is overcautious or marginal, feel free to talk to the insurerʻs person about it. Many such approvals are judgement calls.

Oh yeah, also--as you move through the list youʻll have better success here with one issue at a time. That gives the team opportunity to find similar threads and gets more specific responses--and most important, makes the topic searchable for the next guy. The reason some of these threads have 30,000 views is because they are searched for worldwide via Google, and a specific topic makes that possible.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

frosero7744

Member II
Thank you all!

Everyone at our yacht club wants tour this weekend with everyones 2 cents will add up to about $5 is my guess.
exhaust seems like a fun first project. Several helpful folks included.

Good idea on separate posts for future folks and searching, will do.