• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for Ericson Independence 31

jbuckley

I just started sailing about 5 years ago in a Capri 25 on Lake Guntersville in northern Alabama. I have enjoyed learning to sail and racing in the Capri but would like something more comfortable. Lake Guntersville is on the Tennessee River with access to Mobile Bay and the Gulf Coast, which is where I may (or may not) eventually end up. I recently discovered the Ericson Independence 31 online and immediately fell for its classic lines. I have not found anything but good comments about them online. I guess I am looking for some affirmation from anyone in this group that knows them closely.

Is there any sort of owners group or registry for the 31? I was hoping to locate one in my area to visit just to make sure it is what I am looking for. There was one just recently for sale in the Atlanta area but before I got a chance to check it out, it sold and was moved elsewhere. At 38K it was out of my price range but I was hoping to get to just set foot on one. There is a project boat ('79) for sale in Wilmington, NC but that is about 8 hours away. I was hoping there might be one to visit a little closer, maybe along the gulf coast.

I am thinking about the project boat in Wilmington. A project boat was not my first intention but with less than 80 of them built, I would not expect them to come available very often, and even less often in the southeast. The exterior looks clean but there has apparently been significant leaking into the cabin. A lot of the woodwork would have to be redone. If I went that route I would of course have a survey done first.

I would appreciate any comments and/or advice.

John

micguire

Member I
I just started sailing about 5 years ago in a Capri 25 on Lake Guntersville in northern Alabama. I have enjoyed learning to sail and racing in the Capri but would like something more comfortable. Lake Guntersville is on the Tennessee River with access to Mobile Bay and the Gulf Coast, which is where I may (or may not) eventually end up. I recently discovered the Ericson Independence 31 online and immediately fell for its classic lines. I have not found anything but good comments about them online. I guess I am looking for some affirmation from anyone in this group that knows them closely.

Is there any sort of owners group or registry for the 31? I was hoping to locate one in my area to visit just to make sure it is what I am looking for. There was one just recently for sale in the Atlanta area but before I got a chance to check it out, it sold and was moved elsewhere. At 38K it was out of my price range but I was hoping to get to just set foot on one. There is a project boat ('79) for sale in Wilmington, NC but that is about 8 hours away. I was hoping there might be one to visit a little closer, maybe along the gulf coast.

I am thinking about the project boat in Wilmington. A project boat was not my first intention but with less than 80 of them built, I would not expect them to come available very often, and even less often in the southeast. The exterior looks clean but there has apparently been significant leaking into the cabin. A lot of the woodwork would have to be redone. If I went that route I would of course have a survey done first.

I would appreciate any comments and/or advice.

John
Hi john, back in January there was a 31c for sale . I spoke with him several times.The owner had listed the boat for 9,500 ,a project. I believe he had it somewhere around Atlanta Ga, but was moving it to Florida to work on over the winter. I think his name is George and his number is 304 673 0118. He may still have the boat. I hope this works out for you .Best Michael

JPS27

Member III
There was a 31 Independence for sale in the Deltaville VA area that I took a look at last spring just for kicks. I believe it was Regent Point Marina. I just took a peek at their website and I don't see the boat on the brokerage, but you might give a call. Wouldn't hurt to ask. It was in decent shape. Needed some TLC for sure, but in good enough shape that I poked around it a bit.

micguire

Member I
There was a 31 Independence for sale in the Deltaville VA area that I took a look at last spring just for kicks. I believe it was Regent Point Marina. I just took a peek at their website and I don't see the boat on the brokerage, but you might give a call. Wouldn't hurt to ask. It was in decent shape. Needed some TLC for sure, but in good enough shape that I poked around it a bit.
Thank you, I purchased Hull 47 last week.
Best, Michael