• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yanmar 3GM in E27?

BradHFL

I have a Yanmar 3GM in excellent running condition. However, it seems a little large for my E27. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has done this install. Or help locating a more suitable motor. Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a Yanmar 3GM in excellent running condition. However, it seems a little large for my E27. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has done this install. Or help locating a more suitable motor. Thanks!

That might be a bit large or heavy, agreed.
Biggest problem might be room to install it.

OTOH, a good friend of mine once replaced a deceased A4 with a one cylinder Yanmar. He really liked the thrift and reliability, but not so much that offshore seas could sometimes temporarily bring his E-27 to a halt. :rolleyes:
I recall that it was rated about 8 or 9 hp.
A two cylinder diesel would seem to be ideal.

BradHFL

That might be a bit large or heavy, agreed.
Biggest problem might be room to install it.

OTOH, a good friend of mine once replaced a deceased A4 with a one cylinder Yanmar. He really liked the thrift and reliability, but not so much that offshore seas could sometimes temporarily bring his E-27 to a halt. :rolleyes:
I recall that it was rated about 8 or 9 hp.
A two cylinder diesel would seem to be ideal.

Thanks for the input!

That's the direction I'm leaning towards. I really despise the idea of having to cut perfectly good factory stringers or bulkheads.

I've called the BetaMarine distributor in North Carolina looking for a replacement for the original A4. They're a little out of my budget right now.

A 2YM or 2GM would be perfect, I believe. However, I haven't been able to locate a decent one locally.

I just REALLLLY want to get my boat mobile. It's a little tough getting in and out of the marina right now.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just for all-around fit, a rebuilt YSM-12 might be close to ideal. But parts are getting real hard to find. And as you have observed, engine beds would still need to be modified.

Glyn Judson

Yanmar 3GM in your E27.

Dar friend, In fact a 3GM will fit into the space provided by your E27. It's tight but perfectly revocable, etc. I have a friend her in Marina del Rey with that same engine in his E27. Do it and let us all know how happy your are with the added power. A 10-12 hp engine seems ion the bargain of being too under powered while the 3GM at 27 hp is more than adequate and then some if caught in heavy seas. I have that near same engine in our E31 and find it a perfect fit and power match. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del REy CA

BradHFL

Dar friend, In fact a 3GM will fit into the space provided by your E27. It's tight but perfectly revocable, etc. I have a friend her in Marina del Rey with that same engine in his E27. Do it and let us all know how happy your are with the added power. A 10-12 hp engine seems ion the bargain of being too under powered while the 3GM at 27 hp is more than adequate and then some if caught in heavy seas. I have that near same engine in our E31 and find it a perfect fit and power match. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del REy CA

Hey Glyn! I'm still on the fence about the 3GM. I've been measuring everything a dozen times. It seems likely to be very snug. I was wondering if I could trouble you for a picture or two of your friend's E27 engine compartment before I fully commit to installing or selling this motor. If you can't, no worries. I certainly appreciate the input either way. Thank you!

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Don't have the specs on the Yanmar so can't help you with the fit. But I put a Perkins M20 (3cyl) diesel in my E27 and was VERY happy with the results. That fit well with the only exceptions that I had to raise the engine box by 1" and raise the stringers by about 2" to get the shaft to line up. It did cause her to sit a little stern heavy but that was fixed by shifting some stowage around. The extra power was phenomenal, especially in heavy weather conditions (which we can get around these parts). After 20 years of that I still feel that my new E35 is "underpowered' every time I want to motor up against a headwind or sea. It was also great going from 1gph of fuel consumption with the A4 to 1 qt/hr with the M20. Also allowed me to 'fill up once per year whether I needed it or not' with the same fuel tank.

Good luck

Kevin Wright
E37 Hydro Therapy

JPS27

Member III
I put in a 2qm15 in my E27 and am happy with it, but it was a relative pain to install, mostly because I'm not that skilled in this area and everything is a learning experience or I bribe friends to help. It did require considerable shimming. I did not modify the engine bed. I heard the beta diesel (or some such brand) was a "drop in" replacement for an A4. But now that my 2qm is in it is a workhorse, starts right up no matter how cold, and I can run the engine through its full recommended range no problem. From what I understand, too much engine means you might not be able to run it at its desirable max. Am I correct?

The only real pain was the shimming and getting it right, finding the right exhaust elbow because the typical one was too high, and then making a new engine box. But now I wouldn't trade it (until it dies).