• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What's Wrong With My Oven

Filkee

Sustaining Member
This one is way down the list of things I need to deal with in my boat life, but sometimes the kids remind me that we are not as cool as the other families because we can't bake cookies. I can light the pilot on my Seward oven, but nothing ever happens beyond that. I'm assuming that something isn't heating up enough to open a valve or a valve is frozen, but I'm wondering if the keen eye of a compatriot might be able to spot something from this:

IMG_1283.jpg

Parrothead

Member III
Typically it is a failure of the thermocouple. Its purpose is to sense the pilot is actually lit before allowing the gas valve to open, a critical safety feature. You'll find the bulb end of it in the path of the pilot flame. It's a replaceable part but you must get the proper type. Some are a tube type, others are a pilot generator with a wire. Yours appears to be a tube type.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If I recall correctly from the instructions on the oven door, also available on line I think, the process is a bit different, and I also thought ours was broken. I recall there being a one minute delay after lighting the pilot, before the oven came on even though I had taken the next step already.

But when I followed the instructions exactly, it worked as it should. But then it shut off, so again I thought it was broken, until I figured out it shuts off and comes on again as required by the thermostat to maintain the temp you set on the dial.
In short, try it again following the instructions exactly. If it doesn't work, then it's likely the thermocouple.
Frank

Last edited:

Baslin

Member III
Thermostat/Thermocoupler

I went through this exact problem on my 83 E38....The pilot would light but the oven would never ignite....When you light the pilot and adjust the thermostat knob, you should see the pilot flame increase or decrease with the dial...If not, then your thermocoupler/thermostat is bad......DO NOT TRY AND TAKE THE THERMOCOUPLER APART....Order a new one from Sure Marine. You will send them your old one, and you get a credit if it is able to be rebuilt. Their info is below.

Graham Milgate
ABYC Certified Technician
Sure Marine Service Inc.
5320 28th Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
P: (206)784-9903
F: (206)784-0506

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Seaward is still in business. You could phone their technical department, have them guide you through the start process, and advise on next steps or needed parts of it won't start properly.
Frank

Ken Haneline

Member II
Oven?

My commander insisted on oven removal because it is not her "cooking" time while on the boat. Microwave cookies are good, but only available at the dock! Ken

Filkee

Sustaining Member
First World Problems

The guide is very helpful. I look forward to the day when my kids will stop telling me that they’d rather stay on our friends Jenneau because they bake croissants for breakfast. On the other hand, if the kids are on the other boat....