• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 propane locker options; stove options

sgwright67

Member III
The '76 E29 we are about to purchase has two externally mounted propane tanks; one for the the Dickinson heater, mounted outboard of the cockpit, and one for the Coleman campstove, bungied in the cockpit (!)

Both of these must go, and assuming we retain propane for heat or cooking (see below), I would like to add a proper propane locker system in the aft or port locker. On a Nicholson I saw a blue plastic tub just large enough for a 20lb bottle, with a proper drain and sealed lid. Something like this might work if I can find a source for it. I'm curious what others have done, and if any E29s came with propane from the factory, how it was done.

Another option is to remove the Dickinson (I have a diesel Espar D2 which could replace it), and not have to worry about using up propane for heating, or blowing up the boat. The camp stove has to go, of course, but what to replace it with is the question. We will want a BBQ, so getting rid of propane entirely won't happen, but it might be nice to be propane-free inside the cabin, with either an alcohol stove, or a Wallas diesel stove (expensive, but would also heat the boat and save having to use install the Espar). I've not used an alcohol stove much, but they seem like they might be pain to use. Having an oven might be nice too, I suppose, although we probably wouldn't use it much.

For reference, this is our first boat, and we plan on cruising the BC coast this year, and possibly go south after that, if things go well and we like the boat. Although larger boats will always be enticing, we're pretty used to small spaces, and with just two of us, found the 29 pretty spacious, aside from the galley being a bit tight.

I'm interested in what others have done for stoves and propane setups on the 29, but I suppose the 27 and 32 are probably pretty similar also.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have used CNG, propane, and currently a non-pressurized (Origo-style) alcohol stove. I *love* my alcohol stove. It works very, very well and is the most reliable piece of hardware on the boat. It's butt simple. I like butt simple. Just drop it in place and you are done.

It cooks just fine. In practical life I cannot tell any difference between it and the propane stove I replaced. I'm totally satisfied with its performance as well as its simplicity.

My boat had a factory installed (I believe) propane installation that was in working condition when I removed it, by the way. But it was not even close to ABYC compliant. I considered briefly replacing some of the worn bits and bringing the locker and connections up to code but I'm glad I decided otherwise. For what I sold my two burner Force 10 and tank, I was able to install the two burner alcohol stove and have some cash left over. The propane locker in the cockpit made a nice anchor locker for my stern anchor rode!

And by the way: There's nothing wrong with a properly installed propane system. Once installed, it is the cheapest option for fuel, though alcohol is not especially pricey, either. But I'd imagine that if you were living aboard and cooking your brains out you might appreciate the savings. I had no complaints about the performance of my Force 10. For my needs and risk tolerance, though, I felt non-pressurized alcohol was the way to go. (The pressurized stoves are an altogether different animal.)

Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
Thanks, Alan. I will look into alcohol stoves also. You mention Origo-style - are there other brands that might cost a bit less but still offer decent quality? I'd prefer to have a gimballed stove also, for making a pot of tea while underway, etc.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That issue sort of ties into the variations in E29 models. Some, like mine, have a big inaccessible volume in the starboard aft quarter. One could cut a hole in the bench and drop in a ready-made (or custom-made) propane locker. Some boats have a door in the quarterberth that accesses that space (but you can’t really reach all the way) some have an aft lazarette hatch in the cockpit.

On tiller models, the back of the cockpit is wide-open and some people have built a propane locker in that space. The only problem is that the only cockpit drain is there, too. But according to safety guidelines, the boat really needs more cockpit drains and reduced cockpit volume, so it’s sort of a win-win project.

The completely external bottles on the rail isn’t a bad solution - just doesn’t look very nice and puts the weight up high. And if one is going to do that, maybe one should shell out the shekels for corrosion-resistant bottles?

Bottle size: Although I currently have a 20 lb bottle, I’m thinking that two smaller ones might be a good idea. Consider if you have to hike or bicycle into town (or to the far side of town) for propane. Much easier to stick a 10-pounder into a backpack. And the systems could still operate while you were out doing that.

Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
Thanks, toddster, this helps complete the picture. I will wait to see what my options are, and which route I decide to go with for stove and heating. In any case, I will want an rail mounted propane BBQ, so there will need to be a tank for that - I detest the little 1lb bottles for their innate sense of when to run out of fuel, always just before your meal is cooked. Even if I banish propane from the cabin, I will want to avoid a rail mounted tank, so the small existing tank might be candidate for dropping into the void under the starboard aft bench with a suitable locker inserted. I'd like to keep the decks and rails as free as possible for safety and aesthetics... :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, Alan. I will look into alcohol stoves also. You mention Origo-style - are there other brands that might cost a bit less but still offer decent quality? I'd prefer to have a gimballed stove also, for making a pot of tea while underway, etc.

Our boat was factory-equipped with an Origo 6000, which was/is gimbaled. Their two burner model 3000 stove can be gimbaled just as easily.
Good product. When our original one was getting scuffed up from many years of use I found another NOS one on CL for half the new price.
Whatever you do, just do not get a pressure alcohol stove (I doubt that they are even being made anymore due to safety concerns.)

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Yes, I said "Origo style" advisedly. I actually own a Cookmate, which is an Origo clone. I'm not sure whether they are still on the market, though.

sgwright67

Member III
Yes, I said "Origo style" advisedly. I actually own a Cookmate, which is an Origo clone. I'm not sure whether they are still on the market, though.

Thanks, I have seen this name around, so I will keep an eye out. Going to the Victoria Boat Show today, so I'll see if they have any goodies to look at. Is there any practical difference between the more expensive "stove alcohol" (ethanol) and hardware store methyl hydrate (methanol) in these stoves? I have heard that pressured stoves are more picky, but I imagine since the Origo style is just like a big fondue burner, it should work fine with methanol, which is much cheaper and easier to find. I am well aware of the health risks of methanol, btw...

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks, I have seen this name around, so I will keep an eye out. Going to the Victoria Boat Show today, so I'll see if they have any goodies to look at. Is there any practical difference between the more expensive "stove alcohol" (ethanol) and hardware store methyl hydrate (methanol) in these stoves? I have heard that pressured stoves are more picky, but I imagine since the Origo style is just like a big fondue burner, it should work fine with methanol, which is much cheaper and easier to find. I am well aware of the health risks of methanol, btw...
I just use the alcohol available at my local Home Depot and it works just fine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-S...ed-Alcohol-Fuel-South-Coast-GSL26SC/306029389

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just use the alcohol available at my local Home Depot and it works just fine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-S...ed-Alcohol-Fuel-South-Coast-GSL26SC/306029389

Or, if on sale cheap enough.... bottles of Everclear. Drink it, cook with it, thin paint with it!
:)

Seriously, perhaps like Alan, we just buy the gallon containers of alcohol at the hardware store, in the painting supplies aisle.
And be sure to have on hand an empty soup can with a quarter inch hole bored in the center of the bottom for filling those burners.

Last edited: