• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lefiell?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Have any of you So-Cal Vikings dealt with Lefiell? I've sent them multiple emails and left multiple phone messages and have gotten absolutely no reply.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I had heard they got out of marine spars, but (according to Cruiser's Forum) as recently as 2014 they were answering phones and selling spar parts

The numbers I've found are
(800) 451-5971 (their website)
(800) 373-3361 (crunchbase)
(562) 921-3411 (bing)

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Strange

Strange that they still have a welcoming message that directs you to an extension for the marine division. Who pays to maintain phone and internet service for a dormant company?

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Strange that they still have a welcoming message that directs you to an extension for the marine division. Who pays to maintain phone and internet service for a dormant company?

Maybe still in denial about going out of business? Maybe some legal requirement to remain accessible for potential liabilities but not for new sales? Harvey’s Wetsuit company was the same way for years. I went so far as to stop by their factory when I was in the area... their symbol was still on the building but some entirely different business was using the office. Their phone line was still taking messages and their website still directed you to contact one of their distributors - all of whom also appeared to be out of business.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Oh well

I was hoping to purchase "bolt on" boom and vang brackets for the Lefiell mast I picked up. I've decided to design and fabricate my own with some help from a local metal working shop. Would have liked to use parts from the original manufacturer. I could have Klacko Spars or Dwyer Mast fabricate some but the cost would be prohibitive. I can do it locally for around a hundred and fifty bucks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is a parallel world.

I visit it often when the car GPS directs me to a KFC that is no longer there.

The parallel world is filled with happy people buying spars and dining on juicy fowl and such.

But--closed to the likes of us.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Have any of you So-Cal Vikings dealt with Lefiell? I've sent them multiple emails and left multiple phone messages and have gotten absolutely no reply.
Yes. They are less than 10 minutes from my house. They are not selling spars or hardware any longer.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The company is not dormant. They just can't be bothered with marine stuff. They are very much there and I drive by it one or more times a week.

This is not to say that they may not have some old inventory laying around and if you talked to the right person maybe could get them to part with it. But I went into their office one time to ask about some part they had shown on their rather odd web site and the receptionist was surprisingly rude, seemed very put out by the question, and told me that they don't sell that stuff anymore. It was as though I should have known better than to even ask.

That was maybe 3 years ago? If you'd like, I'd be willing to go back in and ask for a specific part for you and see what they say. Maybe they've changed receptionists! :)

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Don't bother

Alan: Thanks for the offer. It's been a month since I first tried to contact them and I've moved forward. I'm just back from the welders with the finished brackets. In the end I used parts of the brackets I removed from the snapped Kenyon mast I got with the 87'. We used the plasma cutter table at the sheet metal shop to cut the stainless for the brackets. I then rolled the stainless to match the shape of the Lefiell mast. I cut up the old Kenyon brackets and had the keeper pieces welded to the new brackets. Now on to cutting off the welded brackets and mounting the replacements. Trying to take advantage of the relatively mild weather here to get a jump on things. Yet to be done, replacing almost all of the standing rigging I just did five years ago. Luckily I can re-use the uppers. Everything else has to be redone.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan: Thanks for the offer. It's been a month since I first tried to contact them and I've moved forward. I'm just back from the welders with the finished brackets. In the end I used parts of the brackets I removed from the snapped Kenyon mast I got with the 87'. We used the plasma cutter table at the sheet metal shop to cut the stainless for the brackets. I then rolled the stainless to match the shape of the Lefiell mast. I cut up the old Kenyon brackets and had the keeper pieces welded to the new brackets. Now on to cutting off the welded brackets and mounting the replacements. Trying to take advantage of the relatively mild weather here to get a jump on things. Yet to be done, replacing almost all of the standing rigging I just did five years ago. Luckily I can re-use the uppers. Everything else has to be redone.
Sounds like you have matters well in hand.