• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bolt Cutters--Not a Bad Idea

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Recently I loaned mine out, and was reminded that a decent set of bolt cutters is under-appreciated in usefulness and as a safety factor.

They are on board in case the mast goes over the side, which is not likely. Or the steering cables blow up, which is uncommon. Or a bolt is too long and needs to be shortened.

When bolt cutters are needed, nothing else does the job. Hacksawing cables is possible but messy.

A Home Depot bolt cutter is about $30. Not much for what it does. And this model works:

https://vimeo.com/217254055

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I can't remember where I saw a boat that had bolt cutters and a machete strapped to the underside of a cockpit hatch. The instantly available "rig-be-gone" kit. Possibly a convenient place to store these awkward items. Plus how cool is it to keep the ship's cutlass at hand? (Actual #1 use for machete: beach access through blackberries.)

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I never had a pair on my last boat. Just never though of it. However the PO left a pair on my current boat and the second I saw them went "Duh!". I do keep them in the cabin since I don't want them corroded shut if the time ever comes to need them, but I do feel much better having them on board - just in case.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Wonder what that guy in the video is planning to do with all those 8" lengths of cable......

Navman

Member III
I have always kept a pair of bolt cutters and cable cutters on board. The cable cutters are of a bypass design which cleanly cut the many wire strands. My experience with cutting cable with bolt cutters is that they may make one good cut but after that they tend to "mash" the cable more than cut. If dis-masted, you will need to make several cuts to free the mast up. Try it out sometime as I did and you will immediately see the difference. I also keep a hatchet on board so as to chop away at the furniture should the boat be holed in an inaccessible location. A light coating of oil once a year seems to keep the rust at bay , or you can just put a coat of spray paint on them as a protectorate.