• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e32 diesel fil cover

Captainken

Member I
I managed to pop off the diesel fill cap (into the drink) during refueling. We immediately bought a replacement that didn't fit because the original was a fine thread. The water fills are coarse thread to avoid mixing I suppose. The deck pump out was also fine thread so we've been using that one on the diesel fill. I have tried different key words in a search for the original replacement. Any ideas out there where to find the correct replacement?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Deck Fill trivia

We might be able to advise you if your can post a picture of the remaining one(s).
There are some differences over the years. Our '88 boat came with the ones that used a winch handle stud to open. Clever, but it was not that easy to fit the handle properly right by the toe rail.

When I replaced our water, fuel, and waste fill fittings (while renewing all of the hoses), I changed over to the SS ones with the little "toggle cap".
(no more 'key' to lose)
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/marine-hardware-inc-deck-fill-toggle-cap

Last edited:

Captainken

Member I
What I have done is eyeball the threads on line and guess what looks right.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290180|2290181&id=191806

Not scientific. If you can take the right cap to a local chandlery to compare, that's better.

(You have a late model 32-3, your profile says. If you put it in your signature line folks won;t have to look it up.)

Thanks for the suggestion, the Defender one looks to be the coarse thread. I will measure and determine threads per inch. The waste cap is a little gnarly but I'll try to get a photo.

Captainken

Member I
We might be able to advise you if your can post a picture of the remaining one(s).
There are some differences over the years. Our '88 boat came with the ones that used a winch handle stud to open. Clever, but it was not that easy to fit the handle properly right by the toe rail.

When I replaced our water, fuel, and waste fill fittings (while renewing all of the hoses), I changed over to the SS ones with the little "toggle cap".
(no more 'key' to lose)
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/marine-hardware-inc-deck-fill-toggle-cap
w diesel cap.jpgHere is a pic, on edge, of my deck cap (waste) which I'm using to cap my diesel. Gnarly, as I warned having spent its first 30 yrs. covering the highly corrosive pump out deck fitting. It is a 16 thread, that is 16 threads per inch. I believe most replacement caps are 12 or 14 thread as are my deck water fills. This one has a simple rectangular key slot and says "WASTE". The lost one was labeled DIESEL. Not worried about label or key style, just want it to screw into my existing deck fill. Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Waste Fitting

I do have an entire waste deck fitting for a 1 1/2" hose. The cap is attached with a chain to prevent it going over board. Let me know if you're interested.

Captainken

Member I
Diesel fill cover

It the diameter of the threads is 1.47", I've got one.

I was thinking that the cap you have measured may be the right one depending on where the measurment was taken. What would be really helpful would be to talk with you. Not sure how that works but if you could email me your phone # to tileman357mag@aol.com I'll call you at your suggested time or you could text me with a good time to my phone 508-776-0487. Thanks so much, looking forward to hearing from you. Ken Gabriel

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Cap size

Ken: The cap I have is from a fuel fill and is definitely too small for your deck fitting. The threads are straight and the diameter doesn't change. I compared it to the caps I have from waste and water deck fittings. They both were 1 5/8" in diameter.

Captainken

Member I
Diesel fill cover

I know Sailing Specialties supplied much of the hardware for my 1987 E32. I guess the're out of business but perhaps somebody has inventory of theirs which might harbor the replacement cap I'm still hoping to find. That's the one where they used a fine thread on the waste and diesel caps, probably to help keep them from being installed on the water fills which have the prevalent course thread employed. I'm really trying to avoid replacing the entire deck fill assembly. Does anyone out there have any leads on such replacement parts? Perhaps a surviving subsidiary or even an ex employee. Are there any other 32 owners with the same deck fill cover configurations and/or issues?

Captainken

Member I
Diesel fill cover

I ended up using a rubber expansion plug from the hardware store which fits quite well. inserts down in flush with a slight push, then snug (expand) with my 1/2" wrench. Only downside, you need to keep your wrench handy when you fill and you need to pry out slightly with a fine screw driver. I only fill twice a summer so no big deal. somewhat easier and less dicey than replacing the deck fill. Still hard to believe there is no proper fitting cap available!

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Ok, I fill with diesel once a year whether I need it or not so this is not exactly a heavy use item for me. Last month I topped up before heading out cruising and the bead chain broke sending the cap to the bottom of the harbor. The chain wasn't long enough for the cap to hang up over the gunnel to be on the INSIDE of the boat. Something I intend to remedy.

Since I didn't have the cap anymore it's hard to find the exact fit. Bought a replacement Perko but that was 1.5# and just a bit too small.

Found this "Fityle Marine Boat Replacement Cap 1 2/3"on Amazon which seems to be about the right size. Will be down on the boat this afternoon to see if it really fits. Great deal for the price if it does. Nice heavy stainless just like the original although I will lengthen the bead chain.

Kevin Wright
1986 E35 Hydro Therapy

<input class="a-button-input" aria-labelledby="a-autoid-11-announce" type="submit" value="Submit Query">
41lR7dd1LkL._AC_US40_.jpg
<input class="a-button-input" aria-labelledby="a-autoid-11-announce" type="submit" value="Submit Query">
41wYpDsyukL._AC_US40_.jpg

31pZZ4XFYdL._AC_US40_.jpg

311TX0IlWnL._AC_US40_.jpg

31n9o0nC57L._AC_US40_.jpg

31QwZQr2bZL._AC_US40_.jpg

<style type="text/css"> #altIngressSpan { width: 40px; height: 40px; }</style>

Image Unavailable

Image not available for
Color:

<!-- Append onload function to stretch image on load to avoid flicker when transitioning from low res image from Mason to large image variant in desktop --> <!-- any change in onload function requires a corresponding change in Mason to allow it pass in /mason/amazon-family/gp/product/features/embed-features.mi --> <!-- and /mason/amazon-family/gp/product/features/embed-landing-image.mi -->

Click image to open expanded view

Fityle Marine Boat Replacement Gas Cap Deck Fill Slotted Top Fits Standard Deck Fill Key, 1-2/3" OD

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Ken and others,

The cap I got off Amazon has an outer diameter on the threads about 1.67". Solid SS and good construction. I think that would fit your fill from what you've described. Unfortunately it won't fit my 1986 E35 which seems to need something maybe 1/10" larger! Ugh. So if you want me to send you the one I just got, drop me a line.

In the meantime I'm back searching and using the field expedient I came up with while cruising.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapydiesel cap.jpg