• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repairing or replacing broken throttle on 34 Ericson

gdevoogd

Hello all!
I broke the throttle on my 34 Ericson 1989. What should I do to repair or replace it? In the picture, you can see the part that still is attached and works. The upper part of the throttle which is kind of a oblong ball shape made of the same (plastic?), broke. In the picture, you can see the place where it broke is bright red (just above the compass). It still functions with just the broken stem, but I still want to replace or repair it. Any suggestions?
Post here, text, or call 559 630-5016
Best,
Glenn
IMG_3878.jpg

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Different angles

A couple of photos from different angles would be helpful. The entire lever is not plastic is it?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's bronze, isn't it?

My first move for this sort of thing is to take the part to a welder, maybe one recommended by a boatyard. Braze on a repair. Maybe Tig weld. They'll know.

If there was a plastic ball on the end, you can try to find one to adapt. Might have to thread the bronze and tap the ball.

But many shift levers have "T" on the end, rather than that ball, and a welder could make both levers match.

Why not try to find a replacement part? Well...sure, But that takes luck, if it's a Yacht Specialties/Merriman pedestal.

Edson sells stainless shift and throttle levers, but usually not compatible with YS pedestals. You could ask.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reference note: both handles on my '88 vintage yacht Services pedestal have the ss handle welded to the 90 degree shaft part that goes into the pedestal.
Strictly from observation over the years, the Edson product has each handle (lever) externally attached, with a set screw on a splined (?) end of the shaft.
Another quick way to tell which manufacturer you are dealing with is that the YS system will have the guard spaced at 12 inches, and the Edson version is 9.5 inches.

JSM

Member III
I have a 1987 34-2 with the same plastic handles. Definatly Edson. Defender sells replacements. I would give Edson a call to be sure about size etc. I've found them to be extremly helpful in the past.