Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Wrapping instead of Repainting the Hull!!???

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)

Vinyl Wrapping instead of Repainting the Hull!!???

As we are (finally) finishing up with the bulkhead replacement, interior cabinetry, new electrical, fresh water system and head replacement - our thoughts are turning to the exterior condition of the now somewhat faded hull paint job from 1988.

We were thinking of having it professionally sprayed again with a 2 part system but besides costly - it involves moving the boat to a marina, a haul out etc. The other option was for us to do a roll and feather on it. But I've seen and heard of how that can turn into a nightmare with blemishes, fish eye and orange peel. Besides that, in Michigan we have cottonwood trees that blow "fru-frus" (floating cotton balls) through the air throughout the best painting times available.

We've noted now some (more than I realized) are covering their hulls with a 3M vinyl wrap as is being done on cars to create the "Hot Wheels" look of colored chrome. I'm not interested in that kind of metallic look BUT a nice SMOOTH flawless look of traditional bright white or even dark blue has my heart skipping a beat!

QUESTION: Has anyone tried this on their Ericson, know of anyone who has done it on their boat and what were the results? ...They (manufacturers/suppliers) say it lasts about as long as paint jobs (7 to 8 years) and from what I've now seen of videos - it looks very good, is completed faster than painting and best of all COSTS LESS!!

Anxious to hear what some of you may provide for answers! ...Here's a link to a quick video and a photo of the semi completed process:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr2=piv-web&p=vinyl+boat+wrap&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001#id=52&vid=8aa1fce12f5cb800859a38ed3f567606&action=view

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinyl Wrap Image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	26104

Here's an even better website by a company that does the vinyl wrapping....DO check out their "Gallery" of photos!!

https://wrapboats.ca/
    Last edited by kapnkd; 02-11-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Contributing Partner
    Any idea how this would be repaired after I graze the dock a couple of times?

It would be interesting to hear from folks who have vinyl letter so see how it hold up.
    Last edited by mfield; 02-11-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: sp.
    Mike Field
    "Jenny" E35-3 #251
    San Francisco

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    Any idea how this would be repaired after I graze the dock a couple of times?

It would be interesting to hear from folks who have vinyl letter so see how it hold up.
    Exactly! ...That's what I'm hoping for. I would imagine the vinyl is thin enough that a patch could be used and although there may be a slight overlap seam, it wouldn't be too noticeable unless viewed up close. (???)

We've got a vinyl graphic boat name on our transom that has held up VERY well now for more years than I can remember. Sure has outlasted the painted on name before vinyls came on the scene.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Sati's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kapn, I'm afraid you're overlooking the REAL benefit of vinyl hull wraps - sick graphix, bro!

Name:	boatwrap.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	26106

As far as vinyl lettering, while I myself have certainly NEVER hit the dock, and would never publicly declare having done such on a forum for timeless posterity, I have seen that some dock impact can scrape off bits of vinyl lettering. I'm not sure if a fully wrapped hull would have the same issue, as there's no "edge" for the dock or other scraping surface to catch on.
    Geoff W.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Boat Name Vinyl Aging History

I just removed my original black transom vinyl boat name graphic to paint the transom and add a new navy blue graphic. I added it in March 2012 (Pic 1). It was showing some fading and the 'G' had dock line wear in March 2017 (Pic 2). Last pictures are from Jan 2019 with accelerated fading. I've already removed the hailing port graphic. I'm not sure if the vinyl thickness is the same as a wrap. Also my transom faced south for the first three years and west for the last four. The transom angle makes for a worst case for UV and dirt compared to the topsides.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	26107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	26108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4071.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	26109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4078.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	26110  
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Sati View Post
    Kapn, I'm afraid you're overlooking the REAL benefit of vinyl hull wraps - sick graphix, bro!

Name:	boatwrap.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	26106

As far as vinyl lettering, while I myself have certainly NEVER hit the dock, and would never publicly declare having done such on a forum for timeless posterity, I have seen that some dock impact can scrape off bits of vinyl lettering. I'm not sure if a fully wrapped hull would have the same issue, as there's no "edge" for the dock or other scraping surface to catch on.

Hi Geof - Just thinking now how different and distracting graphics on port & starboard sides could even become a psychological advantage out on the Wednesday night race course!

Blog Entries
    Not an Ericson, but some friends wrapped their boat in a few days. This was last summer so not sure how it will hold up, but should be easily removed if it doesn't.

Name:	Wrap.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	26114
    1984 Ericson 30+
    Hull #651

Formerly 1972 Ericson 27

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Sati's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd14 View Post
    Not an Ericson, but some friends wrapped their boat in a few days. This was last summer so not sure how it will hold up, but should be easily removed if it doesn't.

Where's the boat? I can't see anything.
    Geoff W.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Quote Originally Posted by bigd14 View Post

Not an improvement. To say the least!
    1969 Ericson 32 #112 • Atomic Four
    City Island, NYC
    “Muxie Duxer”
    Hair by Mr. Gigi

Blog Entries
    Uh, if you can match pattern on rolls of wallpaper, why couldn't you match patterns on this stuff?

That can't be the way it's supposed to come out.

And why below the waterline? Even if dry-sailed, that can't be an optimal racing bottom.
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 02-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is that the same boat that races in Hood River? I didn’t realize that it went below the waterline, but never really looked closely. The one on my dock seems to be patched together from roughly 12” x 12” segments. So I guess if you damaged one you could just slap a new one on over it. Well, except they’re probably overlayed like tile. Doesn’t seem like the smoothest surface but maybe it’s some advanced hydrodynamic effect beyond my understanding.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Contributing Partner
    Quote Originally Posted by tenders View Post
    Not an improvement. To say the least!
    I can imagine the conversation with the Coast Guard when they ask for your boat's description.

Incidentally I was in a cafe in Alameda recently when a couple of navy guys came in wearing fatigues. They were blue with one of the digital camouflage patterns - what use are these? More stylish that cherry red or florescent yellow but still not very useful for sneaking up on the enemy.
    Last edited by mfield; 02-12-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: sp.
    Mike Field
    "Jenny" E35-3 #251
    San Francisco

Here is a reasonable article on vinyl wrapping a sailboat - https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/...ats-hull-21623
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Sustaining Partner

Name:	WW1 camoulflage.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	26125
    I love the graphics! Always thought circa WW1 camouflage schemes looked cool! Hope it doesn't work too well if you're in trouble and need to be found or for that matter, in starting line traffic!
    Grant Kiba
    '73 E27
    Antioch, CA

Quote Originally Posted by G Kiba View Post

Name:	WW1 camoulflage.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	26125
    I love the graphics! Always thought circa WW1 camouflage schemes looked cool! Hope it doesn't work too well if you're in trouble and need to be found or for that matter, in starting line traffic!
    LOL!! ...Now THAT would create havoc with the other racers on the course for sure! Couldn't tell if one was coming or going! ...In short order they would be wanting to include a few seconds PHRF penalty for the graphics no doubt!

I'm going to go with straight gloss white and have gotten a ball park quote from a local shop for about $1500 on our 32 footer. (That's just for the white areas and not the sheer or cove stripe.) We've been checking suppliers and materials run about $600. for a 25 yd. x 5' roll. Since we shrink wrap the boat every season, we're thinking perhaps we can do the wrap as well by ourselves (???) I'm thinking the wrap would be easier than the multi-contours shrink wrap covers we do.