• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Vinyl Wrapping instead of Repainting the Hull!!???

kapnkd

kapnkd
As we are (finally) finishing up with the bulkhead replacement, interior cabinetry, new electrical, fresh water system and head replacement - our thoughts are turning to the exterior condition of the now somewhat faded hull paint job from 1988.

We were thinking of having it professionally sprayed again with a 2 part system but besides costly - it involves moving the boat to a marina, a haul out etc. The other option was for us to do a roll and feather on it. But I've seen and heard of how that can turn into a nightmare with blemishes, fish eye and orange peel. Besides that, in Michigan we have cottonwood trees that blow "fru-frus" (floating cotton balls) through the air throughout the best painting times available.

We've noted now some (more than I realized) are covering their hulls with a 3M vinyl wrap as is being done on cars to create the "Hot Wheels" look of colored chrome. I'm not interested in that kind of metallic look BUT a nice SMOOTH flawless look of traditional bright white or even dark blue has my heart skipping a beat!

QUESTION: Has anyone tried this on their Ericson, know of anyone who has done it on their boat and what were the results? ...They (manufacturers/suppliers) say it lasts about as long as paint jobs (7 to 8 years) and from what I've now seen of videos - it looks very good, is completed faster than painting and best of all COSTS LESS!!

Anxious to hear what some of you may provide for answers! ...Here's a link to a quick video and a photo of the semi completed process:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr2=piv-web&p=vinyl+boat+wrap&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001#id=52&vid=8aa1fce12f5cb800859a38ed3f567606&action=view

Vinyl Wrap Image.jpg

Here's an even better website by a company that does the vinyl wrapping....DO check out their "Gallery" of photos!!

https://wrapboats.ca/

Last edited:

mfield

Member III
Any idea how this would be repaired after I graze the dock a couple of times?

It would be interesting to hear from folks who have vinyl letter so see how it hold up.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Any idea how this would be repaired after I graze the dock a couple of times?

It would be interesting to hear from folks who have vinyl letter so see how it hold up.

Exactly! ...That's what I'm hoping for. I would imagine the vinyl is thin enough that a patch could be used and although there may be a slight overlap seam, it wouldn't be too noticeable unless viewed up close. (???)

We've got a vinyl graphic boat name on our transom that has held up VERY well now for more years than I can remember. Sure has outlasted the painted on name before vinyls came on the scene.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Kapn, I'm afraid you're overlooking the REAL benefit of vinyl hull wraps - sick graphix, bro!

boatwrap.jpg

As far as vinyl lettering, while I myself have certainly NEVER hit the dock, and would never publicly declare having done such on a forum for timeless posterity, I have seen that some dock impact can scrape off bits of vinyl lettering. I'm not sure if a fully wrapped hull would have the same issue, as there's no "edge" for the dock or other scraping surface to catch on.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Boat Name Vinyl Aging History

I just removed my original black transom vinyl boat name graphic to paint the transom and add a new navy blue graphic. I added it in March 2012 (Pic 1). It was showing some fading and the 'G' had dock line wear in March 2017 (Pic 2). Last pictures are from Jan 2019 with accelerated fading. I've already removed the hailing port graphic. I'm not sure if the vinyl thickness is the same as a wrap. Also my transom faced south for the first three years and west for the last four. The transom angle makes for a worst case for UV and dirt compared to the topsides.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8

kapnkd

kapnkd
Kapn, I'm afraid you're overlooking the REAL benefit of vinyl hull wraps - sick graphix, bro!

View attachment 26106

As far as vinyl lettering, while I myself have certainly NEVER hit the dock, and would never publicly declare having done such on a forum for timeless posterity, I have seen that some dock impact can scrape off bits of vinyl lettering. I'm not sure if a fully wrapped hull would have the same issue, as there's no "edge" for the dock or other scraping surface to catch on.

Hi Geof - Just thinking now how different and distracting graphics on port & starboard sides could even become a psychological advantage out on the Wednesday night race course! :egrin:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Not an Ericson, but some friends wrapped their boat in a few days. This was last summer so not sure how it will hold up, but should be easily removed if it doesn't.

Wrap.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Uh, if you can match pattern on rolls of wallpaper, why couldn't you match patterns on this stuff?

That can't be the way it's supposed to come out.

And why below the waterline? Even if dry-sailed, that can't be an optimal racing bottom.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Is that the same boat that races in Hood River? I didn’t realize that it went below the waterline, but never really looked closely. The one on my dock seems to be patched together from roughly 12” x 12” segments. So I guess if you damaged one you could just slap a new one on over it. Well, except they’re probably overlayed like tile. Doesn’t seem like the smoothest surface but maybe it’s some advanced hydrodynamic effect beyond my understanding.

mfield

Member III
Not an improvement. To say the least!

I can imagine the conversation with the Coast Guard when they ask for your boat's description.

Incidentally I was in a cafe in Alameda recently when a couple of navy guys came in wearing fatigues. They were blue with one of the digital camouflage patterns - what use are these? More stylish that cherry red or florescent yellow but still not very useful for sneaking up on the enemy.

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
WW1 camoulflage.jpg
I love the graphics! Always thought circa WW1 camouflage schemes looked cool! Hope it doesn't work too well if you're in trouble and need to be found or for that matter, in starting line traffic!

kapnkd

kapnkd
View attachment 26125
I love the graphics! Always thought circa WW1 camouflage schemes looked cool! Hope it doesn't work too well if you're in trouble and need to be found or for that matter, in starting line traffic!

LOL!! ...Now THAT would create havoc with the other racers on the course for sure! Couldn't tell if one was coming or going! :D ...In short order they would be wanting to include a few seconds PHRF penalty for the graphics no doubt!

I'm going to go with straight gloss white and have gotten a ball park quote from a local shop for about $1500 on our 32 footer. (That's just for the white areas and not the sheer or cove stripe.) We've been checking suppliers and materials run about $600. for a 25 yd. x 5' roll. Since we shrink wrap the boat every season, we're thinking perhaps we can do the wrap as well by ourselves (???) I'm thinking the wrap would be easier than the multi-contours shrink wrap covers we do.

Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy
I always wondered how hard it is to remove a wrap (that day will come). I found this article - http://www.lucentwraps.com/2014/11/car-wrap-easy-remove/

After 3 years it gets harder to remove, and saw this quote: "Many wrap shops and independent installers use 3M Primer 94 to speed-up the installation process by not performing the necessary steps for an installation that will last for years rather than months. Using the primer is like cheating on a test so you can barely get a passing grade."

kapnkd

kapnkd
I always wondered how hard it is to remove a wrap (that day will come). I found this article - http://www.lucentwraps.com/2014/11/car-wrap-easy-remove/

After 3 years it gets harder to remove, and saw this quote: "Many wrap shops and independent installers use 3M Primer 94 to speed-up the installation process by not performing the necessary steps for an installation that will last for years rather than months. Using the primer is like cheating on a test so you can barely get a passing grade."

Thanks Glenn,

THIS is EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for before we settle on going with a vinyl wrap. So much to learn yet!!!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
For $600, given some experience with shrink wrap and a reversible process, how wrong can you go? Very interested to see how this turns out.

kapnkd

kapnkd
For $600, given some experience with shrink wrap and a reversible process, how wrong can you go? Very interested to see how this turns out.

Hi Tenders,

Agreed! ...It's certainly worth a try. I would expect with careful preparation, learning all we can and NOT rushing the process should get it done correctly. We were mostly thinking before about rolling and tipping a paint job but was not thrilled with the prospects of fighting cottonwood trees and/or possible orange peel. Our one friend with a now pristine Tartan 30 did his boat but ended up fine sanding the paint to a gloss. NO FUN!

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Primer 94

The same article said that Primer 94 has to be used when wrapping boats.