Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl Wrapping instead of Repainting the Hull!!???

Glenn McCarthy
    I always wondered how hard it is to remove a wrap (that day will come). I found this article - http://www.lucentwraps.com/2014/11/c...p-easy-remove/

After 3 years it gets harder to remove, and saw this quote: "Many wrap shops and independent installers use 3M Primer 94 to speed-up the installation process by not performing the necessary steps for an installation that will last for years rather than months. Using the primer is like cheating on a test so you can barely get a passing grade."
    Glenn McCarthy, Chicago
    1976 Ericson 35 MkII "Eleven"

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn McCarthy View Post
    I always wondered how hard it is to remove a wrap (that day will come). I found this article - http://www.lucentwraps.com/2014/11/c...p-easy-remove/

After 3 years it gets harder to remove, and saw this quote: "Many wrap shops and independent installers use 3M Primer 94 to speed-up the installation process by not performing the necessary steps for an installation that will last for years rather than months. Using the primer is like cheating on a test so you can barely get a passing grade."
    Thanks Glenn,

THIS is EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for before we settle on going with a vinyl wrap. So much to learn yet!!!

For $600, given some experience with shrink wrap and a reversible process, how wrong can you go? Very interested to see how this turns out.
    1969 Ericson 32 #112 • Atomic Four
    City Island, NYC
    “Muxie Duxer”
    Hair by Mr. Gigi

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by tenders View Post
    For $600, given some experience with shrink wrap and a reversible process, how wrong can you go? Very interested to see how this turns out.
    Hi Tenders,

Agreed! ...It's certainly worth a try. I would expect with careful preparation, learning all we can and NOT rushing the process should get it done correctly. We were mostly thinking before about rolling and tipping a paint job but was not thrilled with the prospects of fighting cottonwood trees and/or possible orange peel. Our one friend with a now pristine Tartan 30 did his boat but ended up fine sanding the paint to a gloss. NO FUN!

Primer 94

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn McCarthy View Post

The same article said that Primer 94 has to be used when wrapping boats.
    Al Frakes
    1987 E-28 Reba Gee
    Hull #663
    Port Kent, NY

6. 02-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Blog Entries
    Toddster, that is the boat. Our friends kids decided it would be cool so they went for it. I don't think the goal was perfection, more like distraction of the other racers! Whatever keeps the kids engaged with sailing I guess is a good thing...
    1984 Ericson 30+
    Hull #651

Formerly 1972 Ericson 27

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd14 View Post
    Toddster, that is the boat. Our friends kids decided it would be cool so they went for it. I don't think the goal was perfection, more like distraction of the other racers! Whatever keeps the kids engaged with sailing I guess is a good thing...
    Thanks. Right after I hit "send" I had to smile at myself - what are the odds that there are TWO boats like that in the state?
    There sure are a lot of kids around the marina all summer - and what seems to be a pretty large youth sailing program. I'm sure most of them sail better than I do.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134