• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

North West weather

supersailor

Contributing Partner
It has been an interesting time here in the North West! While it has been reported about the weather in Seattle but the center of the weather thrust has been Sequim and Port Angeles. Here's a few shots of my yard today. The top of the yard has about 10"-1' and the bottom about 3'. It was about 18 degrees when the shots were taken. Haven't been able to get down to the boat yet and another two storms are on their way in. I'm beginning to feel like I live in the Midwest.

P1010554-001.JPGP1010553-001.JPG

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
1' of snow around here is no joke. Hope y'all are staying safe and warm, and bought enough eggs (why were Seattlites stocking up on snowpocalypse dairy products so much?)

I just got back in from sailing on Lake Washington - it was imposing to be sailing back south and seeing this opaque wall of white winter storm bear down on us. Got to play with a double reef for the first time :)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Normally, I don’t bother shoveling snow off the boat. (At those times, the ice in the marina is usually too thick to contemplate sailing anyway) but now that it’s sitting on the trailer, I’m starting to worry.

The weatherman doesn’t have any idea what’s going to happen this week. The WeatherUnderground has had three completely different contradictory forecasts, depending on which view you select, for the last day. The only thing they agree on is that something is going to happen this week. It’s either going to be 34 inches of new snow, or 3 inches of rain, or something in between. I have about two days of firewood left, so I’m running the electrics until the power goes out. :0

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
...of course, it should be said that this is nothing like the winters and “lake effect” snow in Michigan. When if you didn’t move your car every night, it would get burried in snow until April. I gave my Michigan coat away many years ago.

Or even the 60’s when the first hard freeze meant that the cars were parked out on the county road, 1/4 mile from the house, and we’d carry water 200 yards from the pump house in buckets for a couple months after some pipe somewhere froze. Well, my Dad wasn’t a very good plumber...

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I heard that the owners had it replaced (temporarily) with a salvage barge by the next morning, but still... I hope they have great insurance.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Cool! I mean cold. The Straights are not as much fun as in 30kn, they build up impressive wave systems. Or, they are more fun because of the challenge offered by the seas. We are awaiting the next weather onslaught. A few flakes have started to fall. :0

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The weatherman doesn’t have any idea what’s going to happen this week.
Looks like they decided to go with "MORE SNOW!."
IMG_2134.jpg

Interesting that the snow is shallow over the hatch and around the windows (heated area) and deeper over the chain locker (unheated). We can see where the heat is leaking out. Or could earlier. It's getting pretty blizzard-y out there at times.
It is actually about knee-deep out there right now and not slowing down a bit. I'm breaking out the skis after lunch.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Looks like us in Port Angeles. First casulaty, the 2X4 ridge supporting the tarp covering the SJ26 appears to have snapped dropping the canvas into the cockpit. Hope the current storm dosen't carry on too long. Can't get down to the 34 either right now. It's really coming down!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just got a strange email from the marina - the port crews can't clear the snow off the docks today because they have to prioritize the runway at the airport.
Strange because I can't recall that they ever cleared the docks in the past. Maybe somebody complained.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Toddster, I didn't realize your cities snowplows were small enough to go up and down your docks. Our airport is closed. They can't keep up with the snow. :0

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm actually more comfortable with deep snow on the docks than with ice. There's at least the illusion of firm footing. When the snow starts piling up on the frozen water though, it can be hard to find the right path!
Snow is deeper than the dog now - he can only follow me around through the network of pre-stomped paths. I just skied to the mailbox and back, though my ambition was much farther... way too out of shape to break trail efficiently. I can clearly remember easily hopping along for a mile at a time through this stuff, not too awful long ago... Maybe I'll head out again and see how silly I look trying a few tele-turns. And how hard it is to puff back up the hill...

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just another thing that never occurred to me

Looks like I'm losing some of my ablative paint to... icicles. :esad:

DSC_0294.jpg

Maybe the bottom paint is the last thing one should do on a haul-out, instead of the first? I guess there's time to fix it. Or even start over, now that I've concluded that ablative paint isn't really what I need. if we consider that the March 15 re-launch date is out of the question at this point. I haven't even been able to start on the deck work yet.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hmm Christian. It does look like the grass is not a little greener on the other side of the fence. Every area has its problems. 60 foot seas? Terra Nova's mast is only 51 feet above the water. I guess a little cold is OK! :esad:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why am I attracted to gaping holes in boats? Why does some voice say, c'mon, this repair will be easy and fun? It's a pathology.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Christian, It's fixable but it probably would be cheaper to buy one in good shape. I think it is the challenge. Isn't this the same harbor that got chewed up last year?

Last edited: