Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: [E32-3] Insulating mast in saloon

  1. #1
    Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    337
    Blog Entries
    3

    [E32-3] Insulating mast in saloon

    Looking at transitioning to liveaboard status on my 32-3, I've been considering insulation in the cabin, especially in the wake of an especially WINTER week here in Seattle. Today I looked around and it struck me that the mast itself is quite cold and likely sucks up a lot of heat, and maybe it'd do well to wrap it in a layer of thin, closed-cell foam - maybe 1/2 or 3/4 in thick.

    I could make it even fancier and have the foam in a Sunbrella sleeve that would zip up for easy on/off. Anyone consider insulating their keel-stepped mast before, and have any thoughts or ideas on this?
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

  2. #2
    Principal Partner markvone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    665
    Geoff,

    I don't liveaboard but I visit my boat in the water several times a week doing projects in Annapolis which is colder than Seattle. I heat it up with two 1500 watt space heaters while I'm there.

    My thought: Aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor and your mast is also filled with air that is free to circulate your heat straight up and radiate it out to the atmosphere. I'd be shocked if even a 1/2 inch foam blanket didn't make a noticeable improvement. Thicker is better.

    Mark
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD

  3. #3
    Principal Partner
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    783
    Don't forget that your mast is full of holes and allows water to flow down inside it. Any insulation would need to be on the outside of the mast to allow proper drainage.
    Bob Morrison
    1987 E-34 Hull #15
    "Terra Nova"

  4. #4
    Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    337
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by supersailor View Post
    Don't forget that your mast is full of holes and allows water to flow down inside it. Any insulation would need to be on the outside of the mast to allow proper drainage.
    Yes, for clarity I'm talking about wrapping the outside of the mast in the saloon, using some sort of closed-cell foam insulation as it goes through the top of the deck to the step on the sole.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

  5. #5
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W. View Post
    Yes, for clarity I'm talking about wrapping the outside of the mast in the saloon, using some sort of closed-cell foam insulation as it goes through the top of the deck to the step on the sole.
    Up here in BC, I've seen quite a few boats with padded vinyl or fabric sleeves around the mast, presumably for insulation (I imagine they would also muffle the sound of lines slapping against the mast), and should we get a boat with a keel-stepped mast, this will be on my list for sure.

  6. #6
    Senior Moderator Loren Beach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR. Columbia River
    Posts
    7,529
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W. View Post
    Looking at transitioning to liveaboard status on my 32-3, I've been considering insulation in the cabin, especially in the wake of an especially WINTER week here in Seattle. Today I looked around and it struck me that the mast itself is quite cold and likely sucks up a lot of heat, and maybe it'd do well to wrap it in a layer of thin, closed-cell foam - maybe 1/2 or 3/4 in thick.

    I could make it even fancier and have the foam in a Sunbrella sleeve that would zip up for easy on/off. Anyone consider insulating their keel-stepped mast before, and have any thoughts or ideas on this?
    We have seen something very much like this on a new boat. The cover had velcro (r) holding the joining part together from top to bottom. I recall one boat that used a naugahyde-appearing material. The foam insulation layer underneath must have been about a half inch thick.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

  7. #7
    Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    337
    Blog Entries
    3
    This whole project got waylaid with the weather warming up...decided to spend the money on the next round of new cushions instead. I'll revisit again in the fall
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Similar Threads

  1. Re-gluing the teak saloon table
    By Kenneth K in forum Design & Function
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 08:16 PM
  2. E38 Saloon Table Conversion
    By mkollerjr in forum Maintenance & Mechanical
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2015, 05:40 AM
  3. Mast Wiring Question (Kenyon mast)
    By Ryan L in forum Maintenance & Mechanical
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
  4. Mast rake and mast bend on E30+: Seth, Guy, Martin....??
    By Frank Langer in forum Cruising & Racing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
  5. Insulating Coolant/Exhaust hoses
    By ted_reshetiloff in forum Maintenance & Mechanical
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •