• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Insulating mast in saloon

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Looking at transitioning to liveaboard status on my 32-3, I've been considering insulation in the cabin, especially in the wake of an especially WINTER week here in Seattle. Today I looked around and it struck me that the mast itself is quite cold and likely sucks up a lot of heat, and maybe it'd do well to wrap it in a layer of thin, closed-cell foam - maybe 1/2 or 3/4 in thick.

I could make it even fancier and have the foam in a Sunbrella sleeve that would zip up for easy on/off. Anyone consider insulating their keel-stepped mast before, and have any thoughts or ideas on this?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Geoff,

I don't liveaboard but I visit my boat in the water several times a week doing projects in Annapolis which is colder than Seattle. I heat it up with two 1500 watt space heaters while I'm there.

My thought: Aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor and your mast is also filled with air that is free to circulate your heat straight up and radiate it out to the atmosphere. I'd be shocked if even a 1/2 inch foam blanket didn't make a noticeable improvement. Thicker is better.

Mark

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Don't forget that your mast is full of holes and allows water to flow down inside it. Any insulation would need to be on the outside of the mast to allow proper drainage.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Don't forget that your mast is full of holes and allows water to flow down inside it. Any insulation would need to be on the outside of the mast to allow proper drainage.

Yes, for clarity I'm talking about wrapping the outside of the mast in the saloon, using some sort of closed-cell foam insulation as it goes through the top of the deck to the step on the sole.

sgwright67

Member III
Yes, for clarity I'm talking about wrapping the outside of the mast in the saloon, using some sort of closed-cell foam insulation as it goes through the top of the deck to the step on the sole.

Up here in BC, I've seen quite a few boats with padded vinyl or fabric sleeves around the mast, presumably for insulation (I imagine they would also muffle the sound of lines slapping against the mast), and should we get a boat with a keel-stepped mast, this will be on my list for sure.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking at transitioning to liveaboard status on my 32-3, I've been considering insulation in the cabin, especially in the wake of an especially WINTER week here in Seattle. Today I looked around and it struck me that the mast itself is quite cold and likely sucks up a lot of heat, and maybe it'd do well to wrap it in a layer of thin, closed-cell foam - maybe 1/2 or 3/4 in thick.

I could make it even fancier and have the foam in a Sunbrella sleeve that would zip up for easy on/off. Anyone consider insulating their keel-stepped mast before, and have any thoughts or ideas on this?

We have seen something very much like this on a new boat. The cover had velcro (r) holding the joining part together from top to bottom. I recall one boat that used a naugahyde-appearing material. The foam insulation layer underneath must have been about a half inch thick.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
This whole project got waylaid with the weather warming up...decided to spend the money on the next round of new cushions instead. I'll revisit again in the fall :)