• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Threading NMEA wire through mast/deck???

Aloha313

Aloha... after repeated and failed attempts to connect B&G wireless windvane unit to the Bluetooth controller and my Zeus3, I’ve decided to revert to a wired unit (WS310), but am having a helluva time threading the wire through the deck/mast.

Anyone out out there have similar experience and have wisdom to offer? I’m at a loss without doing major hole drilling. Shouldn’t be this hard...right!!!???

Thanks in advance. :)

supersailor

Contributing Partner
You should be able to take an existing wire, say the anchor light wire and attach the wind vane wire to it at the masthead and a new anchor light wire down from the mast head to the deck with it. The existing mast head light wire becomes spare wire and you also get a new anchor wire out of it. I don't know if the 35-2 has a wire tube but I know the 34-2 has one. It takes two people to do this job.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Mast Wiring Messenger Line

My rigger pulled a 1/16 inch diameter Dyneema messenger through the mast when I re-did my wiring. I've used it twice to pull additional wires, including new masthead wind sensor.

Mine line is this one from Yale:

http://www.apsltd.com/yale-cordage-ultrex-12-line.html

It's on sale at APS in Annapolis until Feb 15 (20% off), 160 pound breaking strength and total weight for 60 feet, ~ an ounce. One of the smarter $20 bucks I've spent on the boat.

My masthead end is tied with a bowline around the base of my Windex. Next time I have access at the masthead, I am going to add a UV sleeve over the exposed top 12 inches to prolong its' life.
The lower end exits the mast with the wiring bundle and is tied to a ring terminal at my mast connection block in the cabin overhead.

Mark

Bob Robertson

Member III
It's been a while since I've run a wire down the mast. The way I've done it was to tie a six inch piece of bike chain to a piece of nylon line.
The bike chain goes into the hole easily and provides enough weight to allow the line to be run down the mast. Then I used a piece of wire with a hook at the end to grab the bike chain at the bottom mast hole am to pull it through.