• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Wanted - Spinnaker Pole

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Just throwing it out to the group, if anyone's got a lead on an affordable spinnaker pole that'd fit a 32-3 (14'ish) I've got a buddy with a hookup on the kite itself.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll end up with a folding prop, racing sails, and 3 kites.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll end up with a folding prop, racing sails, and 3 kites.
That's a great kids' book - I use its message almost daily.
The companion book's message is more nuanced though (If you Give a Moose a Muffin ...) :nerd:
But this whole philosophy gets too hard for ordinary minds to grasp after that (what Dogs do, Pigs, Cats...)
I hear the 'If you give a Bear a ...' version is big in Colorado :)

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Spin Pole

Hey, I have a Spin pole off a Catalina 30. I will check the length. Not quite 14' I bet.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
My J is 13.8' according to Sailboatdata and I've read a pole should be as close to J as possible, but I think if it's a couple feet short it wouldn't be the end of the world (fortunately Bruce is on this thread and can correct me otherwise). I'd be interested!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
For most modes, an undersized pole won't be a huge problem, especially if the price is right. Running and broad-reaching, a shorter pole won't give you quite as much "projection" as a full-length pole, and the spinnaker might not get out in front of the boat as much as you'd like, but...whatever. "sub-optimal", but not problematic.

The place where it can be a problem is in beam-reaching. Normal practice is to have the pole at (or just aft of) the headstay. If the pole is short, that'll create a couple of issues, the biggest of which is that the tack of the sail won't be held clear of the headstay, it'll effectively have to bend around the headstay. that's not great, either for the sail or the headstay.

swan65-331.jpg

Depending on material and construction, it may be possible to "sleeve" an undersized pole to bring it up to length. That might be good enough until you go full-race and order the custom-tapered ultralight carbon pole....

$.02
Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree with Bruce, but do get a pole that projects past your forestay.

The pole is often bouncing around up there between sets, and the forestay tames the swing.

The good news is that the pole length required to overlap the forestay is less than J, since the mount is maybe chest-high on the mast and the forestay slants aft.

JCapture.JPG

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
... pickins are slim for asyms out here

If you go with an asym, you don't need a pole. I put a block on the forward end of the anchor roller, just in front of the headstay, and run the tack-line through that. Easy, peasy.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Easy, peasy.

It's kind of a "whatever comes first" sort of thing. It's really hard to find good, used asyms from what I've seen, but going that route would also save me the steps of getting a track/mount on the mast, adding more deck organizing to run the additional pole lines aft, getting a pole, etc. I'm honestly not even sure I could run a poled symmetrical with my current winch / deck setup.

But a symmetrical could come along a bit easier than the asym from what I've seen. Not that I NEED one, because you know, I'm not SERIOUSLY looking to race my boat...of course...

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If Delightful is not already set up for a spinnaker, an asym will be a MUCH shorter on-ramp.

To make a symmetrical work, you'd need

-- topping lift to hold the pole up (you could use a halyard, but it's not great)

-- foreguy to hold the pole down (generally through a block on the foredeck - you could put the block on the anchor roller but, again, it isn't optimal)

-- a way to put the pole on the mast (at minimum, a strong "eye", but a track with adjustable car is better)

-- a place to store the pole when not using it (chocks on the deck, or on the stanchions)

...plus sheets and afterguys, plus a plan for having sheets and afterguys on winches that maybe already have jibsheets on them as you go around a mark, plus, plus...

An asym needs a halyard, a tackline and a sheet. Much easier. And you don't have to drill any holes in the mast or the deck....

...you know, until you decide you want to get "serious" (lol)

Bruce

Shadsboat

Member I
I have a 16' from my E38

I am down in the Key Peninsula. I do not intend to run a spinnaker and just have to store it...
Paul