• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib pole

hiflight

I would like to have a jib pole available to improve my downwind performance on my 1989 E-34. I am not into racing with a spinnaker, so don't need that size. Frankly, I don't want to have to handle the huge, and heavy, pole that many boats use. The "J" for my jib is 15'. My running rigging is equipped with a pole lift. Is there a recommended (lighter) pole that will work for me that can be stowed on the stanchions with a proper mount? Thanks for comments ...... Mike

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You need the appropriate telescoping whisker pole.

Telescoping because a roller furled genoa sets many sizes, and each needs a different pole length.

"Appropriate" (strong, rated for boat length) because the compression forces are very large when the sheet is winched in.

gadangit

Member III
Hi Mike-
We have a telecoping Forespar pole that is secured to our deck in lieu of a stanchion mount. I've found the pole really isn't all that hard to deal with as far as weight. Keeping it under control is another matter.
We are in Watergate Marina, where do you keep your boat?

Chris

hiflight

Hi Mike-
We have a telecoping Forespar pole that is secured to our deck in lieu of a stanchion mount. I've found the pole really isn't all that hard to deal with as far as weight. Keeping it under control is another matter.
We are in Watergate Marina, where do you keep your boat?

Chris
I am at Portofino Harbour Marina, Slip A-21. I might the Boaters Resale shop for a possible pole.

gadangit

Member III
Is Ed still over there with his E32-3?
I'd be happy to show you our set up so you can get a feel for how heavy this pole can be. I'm around all week and over the weekend. PM me for contact details.

Chris

Teranodon

Member III
I would like to have a jib pole available to improve my downwind performance on my 1989 E-34. ......

I've been thinking the same thing. Currently, my thoughts are running to a fiberglass windsurfer mast of the appropriate length and appropriate fittings. The idea is to save weight and money. I haven't done it yet, though.

A carbon fiber spar would be best, I think, but it would be the most expensive item on the boat. I'll have to pass.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I was a kid most spinnaker and whisker poles were made of wood, varnished, and looked great.

If you have any version of a wood shop, many methods still present themselves -- and would be a glorious project for not much money.

https://www.woodenboat.com/whiskey_plank/hollow-wooden-masts

The issue really is the end fittings, which are pretty specialized; but wood can be shaped to accept them.

The kit Penguin dinghy of the 1950s had a hollow mast which builders easily made and was light and strong and tapered.

I know how they were built because I ran over my father's dinghy mast while mowing the law with a smoke-pumping loud gasoline self-powered reel lawnmower, which ate it like candy. I didn't see the mast, as I had left it on the ground weeks before and the grass was a foot high.

Got in trouble.