• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spar Parts

Shadsboat

Member I
Is anyone else having trouble contacting Rig-Rite? I had ordered an outhaul assembly for my Kenyon boom and never got it. I have tried calling repeatedly and get no human beings - just a message system which results in nothing... If Rig-Rite is done does anyone have advice on spar parts for an E38 please?
Thanks,
Paul

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Sadly, that's been my experience as well.

While they list many things on their site, it doesn't often appear they actually "have" those things.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The first move is to fix, restore, rebuild locally. Post a photo of the issue and others may have solved it.

Advice and further services from Buzz Ballenger at ballengerspars.com.

As Bruce says, Rigrite has a remarkably complete on-line parts index, but poor human interface. In fact, it's an interfarce. And in many or most cases, an exotic part is not on a shelf anywhere, but will be ordered as a one-off from Asia. Which would be fine, but for the six-month wait and the uncertainty and the overt rudeness on the telephone.

The forum has examined CAD rendering of parts such as the E38 gooseneck fitting, which is $700 at Rigrite. After all, it's modern times, why not just print these things out? My estimate for the programming alone for the gooseneck was $2800, exclusive of manufacturing. So we ain't there yet.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Is anyone else having trouble contacting Rig-Rite? I had ordered an outhaul assembly for my Kenyon boom and never got it. I have tried calling repeatedly and get no human beings - just a message system which results in nothing... If Rig-Rite is done does anyone have advice on spar parts for an E38 please?
Thanks,
Paul

My outhaul maybe different but I wouldn’t say it exists as an “assembly.” It is more of a collection of individual components which were put together to tension the foot of the sail. The components were sheaves, replaced with some from West Marine or Zephyrworks, blocks from Harken or Lewmar, new lines and cables, replaced with line, and pad eyes which were re-used but re-bedded. I replaced a single block with a double and a double with a triple to increase purchase. It works well.

Try to replace the components.

Fugget about Rigrite.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have never been able to locate anything like that triangular piece. Anybody know a source? Just using lashings ATM.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Rig-Rite Facts:

Cost comparisons with Zephyrwerks for 1" sheaves: Rig-Rite: $58; ZephyrWerks: $38

Response: Rig-Rite - phone calls between 0900 and 1400 may get a response
Zephyrwerks - phone calls between 0900 and 1400 get a response

Facts not opinions

MJS

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Toddster,

My sailmaker swears by these velcro straps. He claims they're better than hardware, fully adjustable, and slide easily.

clewstrap-1.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
:rolleyes: I was just out in the shop trying to bend a piece of aluminum bar stock to fit. Without cracking it. Now I'm getting obsessed.
Lashing a ring to the car works OK, I just lose the last 2-3 inches of travel. There's only 2:1 purchase on the outhaul but I might be able to flatten the sail a bit more.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
20190125_212932.jpg20190125_213132.jpg20190125_213203.jpg

Here are some pics of the factory piece. Just happened to have it off and sitting in the garage.[SUP][/SUP]

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks. I can see mine is/was slightly different. I think it's probably just like the (now discarded) traveler - Solid unobtanium. I can try to make parts for it or just replace the whole mechanism.

Shadsboat

Member I
Pics of my outhaul assembly

outhaul top.jpgouthaul under.jpg
outhaul side.jpgouthaul Top aft.jpg

You can see the tape over the back upper portion where a locking pin used to reside. That is what I really need - that piece. The sheaves all work fine. I am learning a lot from this thread...
thanks,
Paul

Shadsboat

Member I
Ground it off?

I would have traded you! Ha! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I wanted to attach my cradle cover to it... it creeps forward when the main gets let way out. I will keep trying.
Paul