• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 29 - what to watch for?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Assessing the Layout

I have been inside an Ericson 29, 30+ (ours), 32, 34, 35, 36. I think there is a big difference between the layout of the 29 compared with the others. If you are now wondering if a larger 32 or even 35 might be a better choice for yourself, it might be time for a bit more homework on Yachtworld comparing interiors. Better yet, try to see actual boats in these sizes before you commit.
For us, the 29 would have been the wrong boat, and the 30+ has been absolutely the right boat for us for the past 13 years.
It is an important decision and it takes alot of time and research to get it right, in my opinion.
Frank

Frank makes some very good points.
One facet that brokers usually know nothing about is the 'actual in use' sleeping accommodations in boats. We have a thread here that has been gathering this information.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7721-Actual-Berth-Size

Just one more thing to consider.....

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Sgwright67,

Sorry to hear about your boat buying problem. I had a similar thing happen to me when buying my E27 - Agreed on a price (asking price), set up a day to meet and pay (the earliest the seller could meet). Called as I left to drive the hour to pay the owner and was told it was sold two days before. I was pretty pissed. Turns out the boat came back up for sale three months later and I bought Lotus Flower.

sgwright67

Member III
I have been inside an Ericson 29, 30+ (ours), 32, 34, 35, 36. I think there is a big difference between the layout of the 29 compared with the others. If you are now wondering if a larger 32 or even 35 might be a better choice for yourself, it might be time for a bit more homework on Yachtworld comparing interiors. Better yet, try to see actual boats in these sizes before you commit.
For us, the 29 would have been the wrong boat, and the 30+ has been absolutely the right boat for us for the past 13 years.
It is an important decision and it takes alot of time and research to get it right, in my opinion.
Frank

Hi Frank,

Now is a good time to re-visit this, as there is certainly a pause in the boats available. The reasons I kept coming back to the 29 were several: it seemed to offer a decent amount of space for the two of us; the galley was functional but about as small as I'd like to go; the cockpit traveller location was good for single handing and clear of the companionway. The things lacking on the 29 are a real nav station, shower, and a dinette style layout (more on this later)

When I compared the 29 with the 32 and 35 on paper (which appear to be its brethren, along with the 27), it seems that the extra few feet in the 32 adds a dinette layout and possibly a shower, and the 35 adds a nav station as well.

When I look at the newer designs like the 30+ and 34T, the nav station and dinette style (and probably a shower) are also added, but the hull shape is more pinched IOR style, giving a different feel to the layout.

Most of the above is based on looking at the drawings and every photo I can find of each example; the only Ericsons I've actually set foot on are two 29s, one early, and one late layout, and one 30+. I liked the 30+ but the boat we looked at was very cluttered inside, so I think that affected my impression of it. At the time, I was mostly looking at C&Cs, and compared to a C&C 35-2 at a similar price on the same dock, the 30+ seemed cramped. Since then, after looking at how scarce and costly moorage is, I decided that I would look at the smallest boat that would give us what we needed to reduce moorage fees, with a focus on solid build and good handling in rough seas. With the 29's fairly heavy displacement and longish keel, and a reasonable price, it seemed to be a good fit. I also prefer the look of the earlier 29/32/35 designs; I think the more moderate beam, and the evenly spaced portlight layouts are more pleasing to my eye.

The dinette interior is something I have changed my mind on several times - when I first saw an early 29, I didn't like the table setup that much, compared with C&C dinettes (and the early 29 woodwork seemed a step below C&C), but then after being on a few boats where the dinette made the cabin too cramped, I started to prefer the two settee style of the 29, thinking it would be more practical for the two of us, with a half table for when we eat inside, or to put the laptop/books on. We'd probably never use the 2nd half of the table.

I think the key is to just get on more boats, but this is difficult to do with so few listed in this area, and even fewer Ericsons. Ironically, there was a nice 34T (I think) at the dock on Gabriola where I saw the last 29; I think it's the first 34 I've seen so far. I've been looking on Yachtworld since last spring, but the only deals seem to be in Toronto or on the East coast. There are a few cheap boats in Washington or California, but not cheap enough to justify the trouble of going that distance (unless we were to just sail it directly to Mexico from California). We have considered travelling to California for a few weeks to look at boats, and it still might come to that, but I'd prefer to start sailing closer to home first.

We're going to a movie to get my mind off this for a while - Ian McAllister's Great Bear movie at the IMAX, which looks amazing.

sgwright67

Member III
Hi Sgwright67,

Sorry to hear about your boat buying problem. I had a similar thing happen to me when buying my E27 - Agreed on a price (asking price), set up a day to meet and pay (the earliest the seller could meet). Called as I left to drive the hour to pay the owner and was told it was sold two days before. I was pretty pissed. Turns out the boat came back up for sale three months later and I bought Lotus Flower.

Thanks. It's interesting how often this happens. I have thought about what I might do if this boat came on the market again. I happen to know quite a bit about it, thanks to a previous owner who is on here, and it has now changed hands 3 times in 12 months, so anything is possible. But sometimes these things happen for a reason, and it is giving me a chance to re-examine what we want in a boat, so maybe that is what needed to happen.

We spent over a year finding our Westfalia, but she is an integral part of the family now, 23 years later. The difference with that was there were far fewer variables to choose from; with sailboats, there are almost too many types and models to select from, with too few examples of each to make an educated decision, aside from looking at drawings and photos.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Well I hope you enjoy the movie--it's hard work buying a boat, or anything else of significance like that. Thanks for your explanation of your search--it sounds like you are doing everything right to find the right boat for yourselves. If you don't find a boat before then, the next Ericson rendezvous in early July (details elsewhere on this site) would be a great opportunity to see most of the different models of Ericson, as there are usually about 20 boats in attendance, all models.
Good luck in your search--sometimes it just takes awhile. It took me over a year to find ours, but then she showed up and all was good! :)

Frank

Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
Well I hope you enjoy the movie--it's hard work buying a boat, or anything else of significance like that. Thanks for your explanation of your search--it sounds like you are doing everything right to find the right boat for yourselves. If you don't find a boat before then, the next Ericson rendezvous in early July (details elsewhere on this site) would be a great opportunity to see most of the different models of Ericson, as there are usually about 20 boats in attendance, all models.
Good luck in your search--sometimes it just takes awhile. It took me over a year to find ours, but then she showed up and all was good! :)

Frank

Thanks. We will have a boat by July even if it means flying somewhere to get it! I meant to ask you what things you find make the 30+ a good fit for you, and what didn't work on the 29 layout? We may have different needs, but understanding how you came to your decision may help me see things in a different light. Also, what was your previous boat? Not having spent much time on larger sailboats, and never more than day trips, I end up using our experience camping in our van to try to visualize what it will be like in a boat interior, but in a van, it's a lot easier to step ashore to stretch your legs... :)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

All boats (and most houses, cars, etc. etc.) are a compromise, because few things in life are absolutely perfect. So a boat may be perfect in some conditions, but not others, perfect for a couple but not a family with kids, perfect to singlehand but crowded with crew, etc.

We sail out of Nanaimo, north to Desolation Sound or Discovery Islands, south to the Gulf Islands or to the San Juan Islands, usually in winds of 5 to 20 knots, but occasionally more or less. We have sailed in 6 foot steep waves, 34 knots wind (wasn't our choice of conditions, but we managed nicely with reefs in the main and furled headsail).

Our 1984 E30+ was in great condition when we bought her in 2006, and is probably in even better condition now because sailing is my passion and I'm retired, so I have time to look after her well. The E30+ at 9,000 lbs displacement is heavy enough to handle coastal sailing conditions (and maybe more) very well, yet light enough that if I come into the dock a bit faster than usual I can slow her down by myself, which is not possible with a heavier boat. She is very fast, responsive and comfortable to single hand (which I do about 70% of the time, year round). Normally it's just myself, though often my wife will come along, sometimes for weeks at a time in the summer; we have also had 7 adults aboard for a daysail and while busy, it was manageable, and we have had 5 adults aboard for a week--cozy but doable. The versatility of this boat (aside from her beautiful lines) makes her perfect for us.

The teak interior is lovely, she sleeps 5 people fairly easily, has fridge, stove/oven, propane heater, head with shower, good layout with dining table, large cockpit for happy hour, and lots more amenities.

A larger boat would be harder for me to handle in a real blow (reefing a heavy mainsail in a heavy blow/waves, docking, etc). A lighter, smaller boat would not accommodate all the things I want her to do. I have occasionally looked at larger boats, but have never been convinced to sell our boat. But everyone's needs are a bit different!

Good luck in your search!

Frank

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
When I compared the 29 with the 32 and 35 on paper (which appear to be its brethren, along with the 27), it seems that the extra few feet in the 32 adds a dinette layout and possibly a shower, and the 35 adds a nav station as well.

I looked closely at an E30+ before buying an E32-3. The deciding factor for me was headroom in the saloon. I could have lived happily with either layout, but not with bending my neck to walk around the cabin. The larger cockpit on the 32 is nice, but some 30+ owners make up for it by adding seats to the stern rails.

The 32-3 and 32-2 interiors differ, but here's my take on the 32-3: I really like the U-shaped dinnete. I think it's ideal for group meals and board-games, etc. The original sized table sticks out into the "walkway" a bit, however, and often gets bumped when moving around the boat. Many owners have cut the edges down to make the table a bit smaller (or, you can put a hinged section on the outer edge). I've learned to live with mine, but it's more of an issue the more people you have down in the saloon.

The "shower" on the 32 is really just the "foot-space" in front of the head. It would be very tight for showering and then a several minute cleanup job to wipe down all the teak surfaces you've just splashed with soapy water. One owner told me he'd run the shower-head out through the opening port to shower up on deck rather than messing up the head space.

From looking at the drawings, the big difference between the 32 and the 35 is in the head space--the 35 having a semi-separate stall forward of the head for a dedicated shower space. Probably makes the shower on the 35 much more useable. Opposite the shower, the 35's main cabin is lengthened by the same amount--it looks like the extra length is in floor-space (convenient when getting dressed) and extra cabinetry (good for storage). The cushions themselves seem about the same size (as there's no real need to go longer than the 6.5 foot length).

Money aside, I think a 35 would have been my "dream" boat. Based on just the interior, though (and, for me, not placing a lot of value on being able to shower on the boat) the 32 was a nice compromise.

Too bad about your boat deal. Or, maybe not..... You'll never know what unknown headaches or nightmares you might have just avoided by not taking that boat. In your memory, you'll think about all the great "could have been's" with that boat, but that will only last until you find your next one. In the 2 years I looked for my 32-3, none came to market in the Seattle area. I paid to ship one out from Montana. In the two years since I bought her, two nice ones have been bought and sold in the local area.

Hang in there...

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
If we’re drifting into general discussion of boat features...

Sure, every boat is a compromise, and there are other boats. I think where the E29 shines is packing a reasonable set of comforts and good sailing characteristics into the magic “under 30 feet” category. Moorage and rigging are markedly more available and inexpensive. Handling is easy and done without excessive heroics. And it’s about the biggest boat that can be trailered non-commercially, if one wants to.

Desirability of specific features surely depends on how each sailor wants to use their boat. When I go look at 30-something foot boats, the bottom line I’m always left with is, “Well, that boat doesn’t really have anything I haven’t already got.”

A dinette just seems to me like a waste of space. I’m sure I’d feel differently if there were always four people on my boat, but usually it’s just me. (I have had six or seven on day sails without much difficulty.)

E29s have either a minuscule or an ephemeral head. I have mixed feelings about this. One of the best reasons for a substantial head is a place to hang wet foulies and dive gear. Hopefully close to the companionway. (I’m kind of out of luck on this, though I have an idea or two...) But I’ve had adventures showering in boats bobbing around in the straits. Under way, a small shower where you can brace yourself against both sides, is a good feature. When moored, sure, more space would be nice. One easy modification that is worthwhile on almost any boat that has pressurized water is a cockpit shower. At least it is if you swim or dive. Kits are readily available from RV supply stores and it hides away neatly in a combing or transom cavity. Very spacious out there!

Chart table/nav station. I suppose small boat sailors are supposed to use the dining table for this. The E29 Mk I layout easily accommodates a full-size nav station, although you have to do something different with the table. I suppose the whole idea is becoming rather quaint, when you can navigate with a gadget in your pocket. But I still like this feature.

One of the biggest problems with this boat is the minuscule fuel tank - not sure if the thread has touched on this? It’s plenty if you just motor in and out of your slip, or will never need to motor more than a few hours. For more substantial cruising one might have to figure out how to add more tankage or can-up the deck. It’s debatable, but somewhere I read the proposition that “a cruising boat should have a motoring range of 200 miles.” Personally, I hate cans on deck. This is probably the only reason that I’d rather have a diesel, but not enough so to discard a perfectly good A4.

Another limitation is the ability to carry auxilliary craft. There’s just no room to store a dingy on deck. Much less the array of surfboards, kayaks, bicycles, etc that some might like to cruise with. One has to choose carefully and lean toward inflatables.

sgwright67

Member III
Bruce has a five-part series about expanding his search to California and his eventual 1200-mile delivery home to the Seattle area.

He makes trucking sound quite rational if you canʻt find a boat you like nearby.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?347-Introductions

Thanks, Christian. I had started reading that a while back, so I will have to go back and finish it. There is a fellow in Victoria who bought a boat on the East coast, sailed it there a year or two, then trucked it to Seattle and sailed it home. The main problem with shopping further afield is a lack of familiarity with the various models, and which ones I want to focus on. Once I get that sorted, a trip to find a boat might be in the cards.

This phrase from Bruce particularly resonates with me: "I feel more "me" on the water anywhere else, and the boats that most appeal to my eyes always seem to be Ericsons". I've always loved being on the water, and grew up around boats. But when I sailed a 36' catamaran briefly in Belize a year ago, that's when I knew I had to find a sailboat. It will happen! And increasingly, I too am finding the boats I really like are Ericsons - just returned from Oak Bay Marina, where i counted 6 of them (a 27, 29, 32, 34 (I think), 35, and I think a 36 or 38 - much newer, so not sure which). I barely noticed any other boats that I liked.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Iʻll drift with you, sideways into general boat features....with Royal Certainty based on, uh, my Royal Opinion:

--Every foot of additional LOA makes a boat one foot less fun to sail.

--A "shower" on these boats is a joke. You wash the washable parts with the wand. It is best done in the cockpit with a teakettle, or if at anchor with a Sunshower. If a normal, sunscreen-covered, long-haired female daughter or wife or guest takes a "shower," that tiny bilge pump, one-way valve an inaccessible hose will have to deal with foaming soap, oils and, well: https://www.bustle.com/articles/114542-how-much-hair-is-normal-to-lose-in-the-shower

--Do you go cruising? If not, why equip for cruising? A surprising number of people donʻt, but do.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Iʻll drift with you, sideways into general boat features....with Royal Certainty based on, uh, my Royal Opinion:

--Every foot of additional LOA makes a boat one foot less fun to sail.

--A "shower" on these boats is a joke. You wash the washable parts with the wand. It is best done in the cockpit with a teakettle, or if at anchor with a Sunshower. If a normal, sunscreen-covered, long-haired female daughter or wife or guest takes a "shower," that tiny bilge pump, one-way valve an inaccessible hose will have to deal with foaming soap, oils and, well: https://www.bustle.com/articles/114542-how-much-hair-is-normal-to-lose-in-the-shower

--Do you go cruising? If not, why equip for cruising? A surprising number of people donʻt, but do.
All good points--especially about the shower.

My previous 30 footer had a large enough head with a wand and I could shower in it, but I gave up on doing so after a few times because of the mess it made, as Christian described. With my Ericson 26-2 it's moot since the enclosed head is not large enough for that anyway.

What works very well is a one gallon garden sprayer, easily modified with a longer hose and a nozzle suitable for showering. When I'm on the mooring I'll heat up water in the tea kettle, don a pair of swim trunks, and just shower in the cockpit. 1 gallon is more than enough to soap, shampoo, and rinse. I even have enough water left over to rinse off the cockpit sole to send any residual suds down the scuppers. The sprayer is easily stowed under the port settee. Granted, I am in southern California, so it's often warm enough to do this.

Last edited:

TimTimmeh

Member II
Bummer

Ouch, that sucks man. Next time your offer should be in writing and accompanied by a deposit, but the seller should still have kept their word.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Thanks, Christian. I had started reading that a while back, so I will have to go back and finish it. There is a fellow in Victoria who bought a boat on the East coast, sailed it there a year or two, then trucked it to Seattle and sailed it home. The main problem with shopping further afield is a lack of familiarity with the various models, and which ones I want to focus on. Once I get that sorted, a trip to find a boat might be in the cards.
This phrase from Bruce particularly resonates with me: "I feel more "me" on the water anywhere else, and the boats that most appeal to my eyes always seem to be Ericsons". I've always loved being on the water, and grew up around boats. But when I sailed a 36' catamaran briefly in Belize a year ago, that's when I knew I had to find a sailboat. It will happen! And increasingly, I too am finding the boats I really like are Ericsons - just returned from Oak Bay Marina, where i counted 6 of them (a 27, 29, 32, 34 (I think), 35, and I think a 36 or 38 - much newer, so not sure which). I barely noticed any other boats that I liked.
We all share your keen frustration, but we also know we'll soon see a post from you saying you've scored a near-perfect boat. Try to keep being patient (the last thing you want is to pay too much for a bad deal). It's hard to believe but you'll probably find that the right boat finds you (or at least you'll think that's what's happened ... perhaps it's just the enormous relief to have found something suitable, which one then interprets as having found true love). Decide what sort of boat design & features will suit at least 75% of your anticipated immediate needs and then get anything in your price range that provides those things without requiring a lot of labor and cost to get it on the water. Several months/years later, you can start looking for your (next) perfect boat.