• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Won my first race on my E32-3!!

oldfauser

Member III
This can be significant. Base PHRF rating for an E32-III in Puget Sound (PHRF-NW) is 162.

Makana's PHRF is 180 (nearly 20 seconds per mile different)... IIRC, that was
-- 6 sec/mile for undersized headsail (120% vs the standard 150%)
-- 6 sec/mile for undersized spinnaker (165% vs standard 180%)
-- 6 sec/mile for fixed 2-blade prop, not in an aperture

There are (at least here in PHRF-NW) additional rating adjustments for "cruising class" (roller-furling headsail, bow-mounted anchor, etc), and signification rating adjustments for declaring "NFS" (no flying sails) when entering a race. It seems quite possible to be very competitive against local-level racing...

Not that I've paid any attention to any of that. Nope, not me. Nope!

Bruce (180 for an E32-III seems like a giant-killer rating. If someone was paying attention to such things...)

we're at 174 for a spinnaker rating, 180 without on Lake Michigan. We have a 155% on a furler, folding prop, and shallow draft (gave us a measly 3 sec/mile)... not that we pay attention either... :egrin:

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
we're at 174 for a spinnaker rating, 180 without on Lake Michigan. We have a 155% on a furler, folding prop, and shallow draft (gave us a measly 3 sec/mile)... not that we pay attention either... :egrin:

We too used to race against a Ranger 33 “Dragon Lady”. She was GOOD! Once she came up against then young (13 yr old) Cary at the helm. ...As she’s crowding him, he’s asking, “Dad, what do I do!!???” ...I responded, “YOU have right of way - just hold your steady course and forget her.” Which he DID!! She tried several times and her spinnaker pole was close enough to touch but she had to keep backing off.

After that race, she came up and complimented him on what a GOOD skipper he was! After that - his confidence and enthusiasm only grew and soared for the sport as he was on equal terms with adults and fellow sailors!

Years later now, he’s one of THE MOST respected and knowledgeable sailors at our club!! He’s been our Race Committee Chairman for many years and this last year received the “AYC Sportsman of the Year Award” (a VERY significant award in the Great Lakes area! Just proves that sailing creates winners in life through experience and perseverance!

kapnkd

kapnkd

We were close set up as we are at 186 here on Lake Erie.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Got a NFS rating of 198 today in PHRF-NW. I think that's 180 with a spinnaker, so seems aligned with Makana there.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Got a NFS rating of 198 today in PHRF-NW. I think that's 180 with a spinnaker, so seems aligned with Makana there.

In short order you too will hear the others complaining like we did, “Here comes that dam Ericson again!” ...Keep up the good work/fun! :egrin:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
51083992_1787265314713527_8627428999364083712_n.jpg

Came in 8th today. Winds were light so I suffered with a heavy genny and no chute. My start was also good, but not great. Still fun as hell to be out there.

Seoladh, winner from 2nd start, is the boat I do duck Dodge on...they killed it! And were probably happy to have me behind them again

Also saw another 32 out there! Maestrale, where are you on the forums!?

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
View attachment 26025

Came in 8th today. Winds were light so I suffered with a heavy genny and no chute. My start was also good, but not great. Still fun as hell to be out there.

Seoladh, winner from 2nd start, is the boat I do duck Dodge on...they killed it! And were probably happy to have me behind them again ��

Also saw another 32 out there! Maestrale, where are you on the forums!?

Sounds like us MANY a time as well!

As I said before...Starts are important for a good edge overall. Then learning how to feel and get the most out of your boat takes time. We did jib & main for a while and actually did very well using a whisker pole for wing and wing downward legs. We learned we would get more drive, power and balance from our head sail so learned to ease the main first when needed in gusty winds.

Don't choke her by heading up too much. Better she keeps her shoulder comfortably down on her lines making speed rather than pointing up a degree or two and stalling out (especially in heavier or choppy waves).

MOST IMPORTANT is to have FUN - which you are doing!! :egrin:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
51103703_1796870817086310_1010778857571090432_n.jpg

Came in 2nd today, all of 3 feet behind the boat in first. We goofed the final tack and could've had it!

All the same it was beautiful seeing the team come together from the beginning of race to the end. One pair of guys on starboard jib didn't know what a spreader was at the start, and by the end they were optimally trimming the jib by themselves without my.... stern encouragement :) what a great team sport sailing is. And what a great boat the E32-3 is!

Even dead down wind, she takes to wing on wing like a champ and we didn't lose much distance at all to the boats running hotter angles with reaching kites.

My friends Ranger 33 is pretty damn pointy compared to me, though. Maybe their slimmer beam, or maybe I'm not optimizing my genoa track usage?

Still having a great time out here. Also still really want a chute!! Though now considering a whisker pole for the genoa as well.

oldfauser

Member III
My friends Ranger 33 is pretty damn pointy compared to me, though. Maybe their slimmer beam, or maybe I'm not optimizing my genoa track usage?

Pointing Ability is a combination of things.. Jib shape and age (and genoa car position), head stay tension and the helms man! We have found that the boat does not like to be "pinched" unless there is a "big" puff overpowering us.. then we "pinch" the heck out of it (sailing the heel!). best to adjust the genoa car so that the tel-tails all "break" at the same time top to bottom (all the inside or outside tel-tails go move at the same time). If the top inside breaks first, move the car forward a little; top outside move it back a little. Best to go out when your not racing and play with the adjustment of the genoa car. Also helps to move the car forward when close reaching to power up the jib.

use your speedo or GPS to check if your changes are improving boat speed or not (always give it some time to settle down after a change!).

good luck and Well done on second place!

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
IMG_20190217_180123_454.jpg

Well last Goosebumps of the season and we landed another 2nd place! Of the 4 races we participated in, we got a 1st and two 2nd place finishes. And an 8th, but who's counting. If we had done the first week on my boat we might have gotten 2nd overall. Hell of a good time.

Now I begin the process of converting her to liveaboard status, so goodbye to hopes of speed for now....

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
52793094_10218682661162408_3597349355977179136_o.jpg

Cool shot of the finish. Necessary Evil won the race (and #1 overall) - no clue how they make a Catalina 30 go so damn fast. My Ranger 33 friends got 2nd overall.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Alright I've beaten this topic to death, but here's a pic of overall standings. I took a 33 point beating first race by crewing on Seoladh instead of taking mine out... I coulda been a contender!

52269948_1820594148047310_1078579808306200576_n.jpg