• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-3 galley and companionway

dhill

Member III
I like the layout of the E35-3, but the companionway is almost right on top of the sink. Admittedly, I need to see an E35-3 in person, but is this an issue in practice? It seems that this layout is common across other Ericson designs (e.g. 32, other 35s, early 38s) as well.
Comparison with L-shaped galley on the later E38s?

Thanks!
Dave

dhill

Member III
Thanks Christian,

I really enjoy your videos and watched those you recommended. Your video blog is a source of inspiration, particularly the underlying theme that perfection should not get in the way of trying things out yourself. Your solutions for delaminated floor boards, softening cushions, and the acrylic hatch board with Sunbrella pouch are brilliant! I'm still learning from your other videos.

The Ericson galleys seem generally well-designed and the videos show mostly use of the stove and surrounding counters. It doesn't seem that there is much room to stand facing the sink (e.g. during cleanup or washing food) - instead of facing the stove and reaching over to the sink - particularly with the metal bar that runs in front of the stove (no doubt helpful on starboard tack).

Perhaps I am overthinking this...

Thanks!
Dave

fool

Member III
but is this an issue in practice? /QUOTE]

Simple answer, nope. At least not on this vessel...

The sink is offset from the ladder, so no real traffic jams with crew. There is about a hip width in front of the sink between the ladder and the safety bar, roughly 12". So stand next to the stove and face the sink. No reaching across the stove required and with easy access to fresh and salt water foot pumps. The ice locker in the corner is also within easy reach. Caution to crew who do want to go below: you might put your foot in a pan set on a step if my elaborate dinner plans require more counter space.

I rather like the sink where it is as it is a convenient place to drop stuff in from the companionway. Convenient for those times when you don't want to go below and would like avoid stuff rolling around on a counter. Would I like a double sink and more counter space? Yep. But after almost five years of living aboard have no regrets for the quantity and quality of the meals served. Not to mention relishing the quantity and quality of compliments paid to the chef.

Roast beef tonight. If you'd like you're welcome to ask for the one pot recipe...

Max

Last edited:

dhill

Member III
Thanks Max,

Good point about the dropping things down from above and glad to read another vote that the sink location is not a problem.

Definitely interested in the recipe!

Thanks!
Dave

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Same setup on the 32-3. I like it. The sink is a convenient place to drop wet hats & jackets when entering from cockpit. Same for cold drinks and bags of ice before you've had time to store them away in the icebox. You can drop things into the sink while kneeling in the forward cockpit.

Probably not a recommended practice, but when the engine cover and stairs are removed (ie, when working on the engine) I've been able to put one foot on the stbd engine stringer, one foot on the sink countertop and pull or lower myself in and out of the companionway without the stairs.

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
FWIW I've got an E35 - III, and am a fairly big guy (6' 270#). No problems with the sink or galley layout at all. Plenty of space to stand and people can still go up and down the companionway without bumping into you. You are actually back in a little cubby of sorts. Only time you have to step back into the traffic lane is if you open the oven door.

And I agree with everyone in finding the sink location convenient. Was the same for my E27 as well. You can drop wet stuff, coffee cups, or the extra crabs after you've filled all the 5 gallon buckets into it easily from the cockpit. All in all seems a sensible layout to me.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Cory B

Sustaining Member
No issues for us either. Its easy for someone to stand in the galley (other than when opening the oven perhaps) and have other people go up and down the ladder. Overall the boat's layout has worked well for us.

dhill

Member III
Thanks Ken, Kevin, Cory - I'm glad my concerns are unfounded! Now I need to visit some boats!

Dave