• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Beautiful Ugliness

Ed Valente

Member II
Just thought I’d share some pics of Dionysus during the metamorphosis. I was able to sneak into the paint shop to capture a couple pictures before the paint goes on.

Attachments

• 2F912AF6-8CAF-4539-8DF4-40C5995BCF24.jpg
    2F912AF6-8CAF-4539-8DF4-40C5995BCF24.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 42B5B84C-F350-4451-87DE-9A4B2D639BAF.jpg
    42B5B84C-F350-4451-87DE-9A4B2D639BAF.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 52

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have watched the full restoration of several local sailboats, including an Ericson 30.
New paint is about 90% prep work!!
:nerd:
Wish I could budget that upgrade. Maybe someday!
I had our hull buffed last year, and it shines like new. Lucky me, the original gel coat is holding up very well.

You gonna take the BS tang and those fittings off of the transom first? (In the past I have had all of the transom stuff off except the BS tang... it does not take too long. )
Also the forestay fitting?

Being the "inside guy" with a socket wrench takes some contorting and mild swearing, tho.
Like painting out a "custom" car, removal of all of the trim is vital to getting a good outcome. I have 'been there and done that' twice... a long long time ago.:)

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when looking at the transom photo, is the gray the remnants of previous barrier coat with some of the white gel coat peeking through in spots. Also, how much of old barrier coat is usually removed before applying new?

Ed Valente

Member II
The gray on the hull is primer with some of the original color visible underneath. One more cost of primer will be applied before Dionysus is finished off with three coats of Awlcraft.
This remains the most dramatic portion of the partial refit. We added new sails last season. Fore and back stay replacement will complete the standing rigging this winter. I still plan to repaint the non-skid portions of the deck post paint shop work along with a list of comparatively more minor upgrades.
We considered replacing the Olson with another boat as it was beginning to show its age (mostly cosmetic). However, when we began looking around, we couldn't find another boat in the 30-32' range which matched the combined performance and comfort of the 911.
For a fraction of the cost of a new(er) boat we decided to sink some funds into Dionysus with the goal of enjoying her for years to come. At least that's how I'm reconciling the expense with the Admiral.
I post additional pictures along the way.

Ed Valente

Member II
The gray on the hull is primer with some of the original color visible underneath. One more cost of primer will be applied before Dionysus is finished off with three coats of Awlcraft.
This remains the most dramatic portion of the partial refit. We added new sails last season. Fore and back stay replacement will complete the standing rigging this winter. I still plan to repaint the non-skid portions of the deck post paint shop work along with a list of comparatively more minor upgrades.
We considered replacing the Olson with another boat as it was beginning to show its age (mostly cosmetic). However, when we began looking around, we couldn't find another boat in the 30-32' range which matched the combined performance and comfort of the 911.
For a fraction of the cost of a new(er) boat we decided to sink some funds into Dionysus with the goal of enjoying her for years to come. At least that's how I'm reconciling the expense with the Admiral.
I post additional pictures along the way.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Wow, now that is sharp looking. Cant wait to see her in the water.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having recently attended the Seattle Boat Show and looked at the odd designs, poor finish, and cheap materials of boats in that size range costing waaaay over 100K, your boat is looking Mighty Fine!
:)

Last edited: