• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A minor modification that might be of interest...[oil buzzer]

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
As most boats do, ours has a warning buzzer to alert us if the engine overheats or the oil pressure drops. It also sounds when I turn on the engine key before the engine starts and oil pressure rises enough. It also sounds if I turn the key to run the fuel pump to bleed the fuel line after a filter change. While I do want notice of a problem, I hate that noise!

My solution was to cut the connecting positive wire and add a spade connector so I can easily unplug the buzzer when I don't want it to sound.
My young grandkids are also much happier when they're on board as they don't have to cover their ears any more.
As long as I remember to reconnect it after I unplug it, it should work perfectly!
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

garryh

Member III
"I'm worried."
agree.... necessary equipment there for a very good reason, should not be played with.
As annoying as it might be.... just a few seconds

Parrothead

Member III
I added a delay-on-make relay to mine. Key ON, the alarm system does not arm for 10 seconds. No switch to remember to flip, no wire to remember to attach.

Frank Langer

Yeah, I could see that if a boat owner is careless, and for that owner this would not be a good modification.
In my case where I'm usually alone when I replace filters and have to turn on the key in the cockpit to run the fuel pump, then climb down into the engine compartment to bleed the fuel line in two places before climbing up and back into the cockpit to turn off the key - - that's a long time to have an annoying buzzer sound for me and my boating neighbours.
But it's a choice.... maybe not for everyone.
Frank

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I wrapped electrical tape around my buzzer until it was at a suitable noise level. Can still hear it over other noises but it's no longer painfully loud.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Gauges and eyes

Not too long ago there were no warning buzzers just gauges and eyes. What do deaf sailors rely on? If your not paying attention things happen. Have a checklist, follow it and look at those wonderful gauges. That's what they're there for.

garryh

Member III
yes to all of that, and milk used to be delivered by trucks with blocks of ice.
Why intentionally circumvent a designed safety feature?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Helpful hints

Don't get rid of all those wonderful aids. But also don't come to rely on them totally. Pay attention to the details. Good hoses, good clamps, good packing, check your coolant and lubrication level. Just don't wait until one of those little buzzers lets you know you've ignored something important.

garryh

Member III
absolutely agree Al.
They don't call them 'idiot lights' in autos for nothing ; )
Nothing replaces care and attention.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Back to the original point

Frank: I assume that if you're smart enough to come up with a way to temporarily interrupt a buzzer you're also smart enough to reverse the process. My suggestion of installing a toggle switch I believe is a lot easier then manipulating spade connectors over and over. Remembering to turn a switch on/off and off/on is also practicing good "seamanship". I'm not worried.

Frank Langer

Al,
Yes, I do like the idea of a toggle switch instead of the spade connection, so I'll likely make that change. I do trust myself to use it appropriately, only when I need to avoid the prolonged buzzer noise for some reason.
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback. ☺️
Frank

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I added a delay-on-make relay to mine. Key ON, the alarm system does not arm for 10 seconds. No switch to remember to flip, no wire to remember to attach.

How do you know the alarm is working if you bypass it when starting? Personally, I prefer to annoy the marina in the interest of reliability.

After several years I did tone the alarm down a little by mounting the buzzer on rubber. Anything more drastic reduced the effectiveness. I can't hear most modern higher frequency alarms: depth sounder, off course alarm, alarm clocks, telephone ringers, the bell on my bike, etc. The admiral hears those. Advanced youth plus M-1 rifles, etc. Those obnoxious credit card chip readers were designed for me.

Parrothead

Member III
How do you know the alarm is working if you bypass it when starting? Personally, I prefer to annoy the marina in the interest of reliability.
For the basic system, as a periodic check simply wait 10 seconds before engaging the starter. However, my system is a little different. On the Moyer Atomic 4 forum one of the members was approached by Don Moyer to develop a diagnostic system that incorporates the standard oil pressure/water temperature alarm, adds raw water flow, fuel pressure and specific to the A4, coil input voltage. It has a five parameter 'idiot light' display that arms immediately so a quick glance at the display before engaging the starter confirms operation with oil pressure, raw water flow and fuel pressure lights illuminated, all zero'ed until the engine starts. Only the buzzer function is delayed 10 seconds.

Any parameter light is accompanied by buzzer operation, a buzzer event is accompanied by at least one parameter light. One does not occur without the other.

Attachments

• New instrument panel version 3.0 008.jpg
    New instrument panel version 3.0 008.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Parrothead - I like it!

Nice system, I think I would still like to hear the buzzer every time for two reasons. 1) Reliability because the buzzer is the only warning that counts, and 2) I don't like to admit I could be not as right as possible. :rolleyes:

Parrothead

Member III
Understood Tom, whatever is your preference. Question though: does your car's audible alarm self test every time you start it?

The charm of the Moyer system is you know what general area of the engine caused the alarm. Before with the basic oil/water system all you knew was something was out of whack, not what. A couple of the zones actually warn you before trouble gets out of hand, raw water flow and fuel pressure. If, for example, you suck up a plastic bag into the intake thru-hull - or in my area, some kelp - the raw water flow sensor will alert the system and you'll know well before the temp skyrockets.