• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A minor modification that might be of interest...[oil buzzer]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>But it's a choice.... maybe not for everyone

Frank's point is made. The idealized "prudent mariner" thinks things through, does it his way, and takes responsibility.

For newcomers to marine systems: Disabling the low oil pressure warning is not recommended.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Question though: does your car's audible alarm self test every time you start

No, but I don't drive from the back seat or on the hood. I'm sitting in front of the instrument panel where I can see the warning lights and panels. Not like on my boat where I can't see the instrument panel without playing contortionist.

BTW, I said I like your panel, but at my age, I'll let the next owner make that choice.

garryh

Member III
Parrothead is that super nifty instrument panel A4 specific? available on the Moyer site..? (even if just the five light indicator module)

Parrothead

Member III
Yes Garry, it is A4 specific if only because of the coil input voltage parameter. The other four parameters are applicable to any marine engine. Moyer Marine does not offer a complete instrument panel but does offer all the necessary parts including their own recessed niche to put it in. Said another way, those of us who choose to - we make our own panels. The one pictured previously is mine (thanks for the compliments), made from parts sourced from Moyer and elsewhere.

We have one member who made his instrument panel with a very nice backlit Ericson logo engraved via CNC (see attachment).

The warning display system is a Moyer product, actually a 'build it as you go' system. It starts with the basic oil pressure/engine temperature/buzzer only system. You can build on that by adding their proprietary raw water flow sensor. The final installment is the display light system that includes a fuel pressure sensor and (for the gassers) an integral voltage sensing circuit with a trip point where testing has shown engine performance degradation begins at approximately 9V. For the full featured system you would need to install all three products.

Attachments

• Ericson panel.jpg
    Ericson panel.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 129

garryh

Member III
thanks a lot... good info! I will check on the Moyer site, liking it a lot.
But definitely some skills there I do not have!
Regards

Parrothead

Member III
thanks a lot... good info! I will check on the Moyer site, liking it a lot.
But definitely some skills there I do not have . . . . and whoever made that recessed panel should be in business selling them
Yeah, I agree. That guy is really talented.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
FYI, not every boat was provisioned with a audible alarm. I know I could add one, but she has not had one for over 30 years. There is a low oil pressure light.

Parrothead

Member III
FYI, not every boat was provisioned with a audible alarm. I know I could add one, but she has not had one for over 30 years. There is a low oil pressure light.
On the other end of the spectrum, the Newport 30 (and 27 too I think) of the very early 1970's monitored engine operation with ONLY the basic Cole-Hersee basic oil pressure/temp alarm system. No gauges, warning lights or other controls beyond a fuel gauge and a keyswitch and they were both installed inside the cabin! This was at a time when only A4's were installed.

The first Newport 30 with a factory installed instrument panel was also the first with a factory installed diesel, a Farymann R30, built in 1973.

Lucky Dog

Member III
Thanks

Shop classes have been very useful in my life.

i have A4 for the engine. I used the falling apart lamented as template.

mark

sgwright67

Member III
Earplugs...

Yeah, I could see that if a boat owner is careless, and for that owner this would not be a good modification.
In my case where I'm usually alone when I replace filters and have to turn on the key in the cockpit to run the fuel pump, then climb down into the engine compartment to bleed the fuel line in two places before climbing up and back into the cockpit to turn off the key - - that's a long time to have an annoying buzzer sound for me and my boating neighbours.
But it's a choice.... maybe not for everyone.
Frank

A safer option would be a set of earplugs, left in the engine bay. Put them on to muffle the sound of both the buzzer, and the engine while you test it. A lot cheaper than a new engine. Even 10 seconds at full power with low oil pressure is enough to spin a bearing or worse.

Lucky Dog

Member III
I got my instruments free m Summit Racing..they have a great selection.

the custom panel with logo/name for 150.00

Jeffytune

Another way to look at it....

Hi There,
If it were me, and the noise is something that bothered me, what I would do is put a toggle switch in there, a simple three pole, the center you connect the power for the buzzer too, one side to the buzzer, and the other to a red warning light that I would mount to the gauge area, a big bright red one. This way, if you forget to flip that switch, the red light would give you a back up warning before you lose an engine.

I hope this helps.
JT

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
If you ever need to replace your panel's ignition switch, you could replace it with a 4-position marine switch (Cole Hersee M-712) and wire just the fuel pump to the "accessory" pin. The oil warning won't come on until the key is moved to "ignition" but the fuel pump will continue to run with the switch in either position.

I'm doing this as part of my panel rewiring now.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nobody mentioned this, but the oil pressure buzzer reminds me to turn off the ignition when sailing starts.

My engine cutoff is back-pressure on the throttle. To also turn off the ignition I have to do the Ericson grovel-down to the cockpit panel below my tootsies. In the (loud) action of deploying and trimming sails, wrangling guests and dodging other boats, it would be really easy, without the buzzer, to forget to turn off the ignition.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Nobody mentioned this, but the oil pressure buzzer reminds me to turn off the ignition when sailing starts.
My engine cutoff is back-pressure on the throttle. To also turn off the ignition I have to do the Ericson grovel-down to the cockpit panel below my tootsies. In the (loud) action of deploying and trimming sails, wrangling guests and dodging other boats, it would be really easy, without the buzzer, to forget to turn off the ignition.

Wait ... what? ... that's a thing?
I don't think I was told to turn the ignition key off after the engine starts when I bought the boat 3+ years ago, and I've never done it.
What is the reason for doing that? What are the risks from not doing it?