Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A minor modification that might be of interest...

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    Al,
    Yes, I do like the idea of a toggle switch instead of the spade connection, so I'll likely make that change. I do trust myself to use it appropriately, only when I need to avoid the prolonged buzzer noise for some reason.
    I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback. ☺️
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    I added a delay-on-make relay to mine. Key ON, the alarm system does not arm for 10 seconds. No switch to remember to flip, no wire to remember to attach.
    How do you know the alarm is working if you bypass it when starting? Personally, I prefer to annoy the marina in the interest of reliability.

After several years I did tone the alarm down a little by mounting the buzzer on rubber. Anything more drastic reduced the effectiveness. I can't hear most modern higher frequency alarms: depth sounder, off course alarm, alarm clocks, telephone ringers, the bell on my bike, etc. The admiral hears those. Advanced youth plus M-1 rifles, etc. Those obnoxious credit card chip readers were designed for me.
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Contributing Member II
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Metzger View Post
    How do you know the alarm is working if you bypass it when starting? Personally, I prefer to annoy the marina in the interest of reliability.
    For the basic system, as a periodic check simply wait 10 seconds before engaging the starter. However, my system is a little different. On the Moyer Atomic 4 forum one of the members was approached by Don Moyer to develop a diagnostic system that incorporates the standard oil pressure/water temperature alarm, adds raw water flow, fuel pressure and specific to the A4, coil input voltage. It has a five parameter 'idiot light' display that arms immediately so a quick glance at the display before engaging the starter confirms operation with oil pressure, raw water flow and fuel pressure lights illuminated, all zero'ed until the engine starts. Only the buzzer function is delayed 10 seconds.

Any parameter light is accompanied by buzzer operation, a buzzer event is accompanied by at least one parameter light. One does not occur without the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Parrothead; 01-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Parrothead - I like it!

Nice system, I think I would still like to hear the buzzer every time for two reasons. 1) Reliability because the buzzer is the only warning that counts, and 2) I don't like to admit I could be not as right as possible.
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Contributing Member II
    Understood Tom, whatever is your preference. Question though: does your car's audible alarm self test every time you start it?

The charm of the Moyer system is you know what general area of the engine caused the alarm. Before with the basic oil/water system all you knew was something was out of whack, not what. A couple of the zones actually warn you before trouble gets out of hand, raw water flow and fuel pressure. If, for example, you suck up a plastic bag into the intake thru-hull - or in my area, some kelp - the raw water flow sensor will alert the system and you'll know well before the temp skyrockets.

Blog Entries
    >>But it's a choice.... maybe not for everyone

Frank's point is made. The idealized "prudent mariner" thinks things through, does it his way, and takes responsibility.

For newcomers to marine systems: Disabling the low oil pressure warning is not recommended.

Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Question though: does your car's audible alarm self test every time you start
    No, but I don't drive from the back seat or on the hood. I'm sitting in front of the instrument panel where I can see the warning lights and panels. Not like on my boat where I can't see the instrument panel without playing contortionist.

BTW, I said I like your panel, but at my age, I'll let the next owner make that choice.
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Contributing Partner
    Parrothead is that super nifty instrument panel A4 specific? available on the Moyer site..? (even if just the five light indicator module)
    1978 35-2
    Crystal Current

Contributing Member II
    Yes Garry, it is A4 specific if only because of the coil input voltage parameter. The other four parameters are applicable to any marine engine. Moyer Marine does not offer a complete instrument panel but does offer all the necessary parts including their own recessed niche to put it in. Said another way, those of us who choose to - we make our own panels. The one pictured previously is mine (thanks for the compliments), made from parts sourced from Moyer and elsewhere.

We have one member who made his instrument panel with a very nice backlit Ericson logo engraved via CNC (see attachment).

The warning display system is a Moyer product, actually a 'build it as you go' system. It starts with the basic oil pressure/engine temperature/buzzer only system. You can build on that by adding their proprietary raw water flow sensor. The final installment is the display light system that includes a fuel pressure sensor and (for the gassers) an integral voltage sensing circuit with a trip point where testing has shown engine performance degradation begins at approximately 9V. For the full featured system you would need to install all three products.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Contributing Partner
    thanks a lot... good info! I will check on the Moyer site, liking it a lot.
    But definitely some skills there I do not have!
    Regards
    1978 35-2
    Crystal Current

Contributing Partner
    and whoever made that recessed panel should be in business selling them ; )
    1978 35-2
    Crystal Current

Contributing Member II
    Quote Originally Posted by garryh View Post
    thanks a lot... good info! I will check on the Moyer site, liking it a lot.
    But definitely some skills there I do not have . . . . and whoever made that recessed panel should be in business selling them
    Yeah, I agree. That guy is really talented.

FYI, not every boat was provisioned with a audible alarm. I know I could add one, but she has not had one for over 30 years. There is a low oil pressure light.
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Contributing Member II
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSteve View Post
    FYI, not every boat was provisioned with a audible alarm. I know I could add one, but she has not had one for over 30 years. There is a low oil pressure light.
    On the other end of the spectrum, the Newport 30 (and 27 too I think) of the very early 1970's monitored engine operation with ONLY the basic Cole-Hersee basic oil pressure/temp alarm system. No gauges, warning lights or other controls beyond a fuel gauge and a keyswitch and they were both installed inside the cabin! This was at a time when only A4's were installed.

The first Newport 30 with a factory installed instrument panel was also the first with a factory installed diesel, a Farymann R30, built in 1973.