Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [E32-3] How do you remove the head hoses on an E32?

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190303_202648.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	26260

The farthest forward bilge port I have is the one just aft of the mast, where the mast drains and shower sump empties. Sole is still glued down, don't think it's been removed yet.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    It looks like you have access to the main TAFG bilges. The forward two arenʻt connected with limber holes, however (theyʻre really just tab attachments to the hull) .

Name:	Theonious bilge C.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	26261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thelonious forward bilges.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	26262
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 03-03-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Blog Entries
    I imagine those forward pockets have some gnarly business going on right now. The sole is making a pretty significant squelching noise when I step on it. Is there anything I can do to try and speed up the drying process for this, space heater, dehumidifier? Patience?
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Won't hurt to try.

But if the plywood has actually absorbed water---well, everything has a lifespan.

We had a recent thread in which an owner removed a glued-down sole without destroying it. Maybe somebody can remember it.

Once removed, sometimes you can save a portion of sole with CPES and epoxy and beat the tedious full replacement job.

But let me not think up things to do--if it'll dry out, good enough.

Now that I think of it, it is common for bilge access hatches to have finger holes in them for lifting. If trapped water is suspected, you could always drill a finger hole over the compartment and pump water out through that. And just consider the remaining hole a "finger hole."

Blog Entries
    The wood isn't squishing by the end of today, so it must be drying, but its still sitting a bit proud of the surrounding cabin liner. Maybe it always was, I dunno. Will probably look at the sole rehab later this year assuming nothing else catastrophic happens. No head smell is stuck lingering either, so that's good.

Tin Kickers eval of composting heads fitting in the 32-3 made me pull my holding tank out of the bin and I spent a large part of today re-running hoses. I'm using White Trident 102 hose...$11 a foot at Fisheries Supply here in Seattle. Jeez. also replaced the two bottom fittings on the holding tank with new PVC fittings and installed a new PHII hand pump. I have most hoses back in, but the run from the Whale Gusher to the holding tank defeated me after 2 hours tonight. Stupid S curve....
    Last edited by Geoff W.; 03-04-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Finished the job yesterday. Thought I finished on Sunday, but it turned out the Y valve was dripping, as well as one of the plastic hose fittings that screws into the "overboard" thru-hull. I replaced the old Jabsco Y-valve with a new Jabsco Y-valve. I know they get something of a bad rap in the threads I've seen, but seeing as I had already cut and run the hoses to fit one, I replaced like with like. Pretty easy job to replace, too - compared to the others. As for the plastic fittings, I pulled them from the thru-hulls themselves and re-taped the threads with teflon tape. Seems to be holding for now....

The new PHII pump pulls water into the head and pushes it out with gusto. I don't regret replacing entirely instead of just rebuilding.

I ended up using Trident 102 hose for the whole system, except for the raw water intake and sink drain. That was some sort of basic Max-flex cheaper hose, but I'm less concerned because those don't hold "troubled waters." Chances are, if/when some aspect of the system fails in the future, it won't be the hoses permeating.

Note: I went with 25 feet of 102 hose and that was just barely enough with maybe 2-3 feet of wastage. I used 2 feet of 1" Maxflex for the sink and maybe 2-2.5ft of 3/4" maxflex for raw water intake. I also used 6-7 feet of 1/2" clear water hose for the air vent to the holding tank.

Everything is much cleaner - there's still sort of a dank smell if the head door has been closed for a while, but I think that might be the residual dampness and old grossness under the sink cabinet. I cleaned that out a lot with bleach and paper towels, but it might require some additional attention. I'm also going to try putting a small passive dehumidifier down there to see if drying the whole area out helps -- who knows how long that Y-valve and other fittings were slowly drip drip dripping down there.

I had a mild heart attack last night when my brain convinced me I had plumbed the deck fitting to the top of the holding tank instead of the bottom. After pulling the whole v-berth apart again, and triple-checking, I did it right the first time.

All in all, it feels really good to have completed my first "big" project on the boat - one I have plenty of bumps and bruises to show for. It also has given me some confidence that no matter how screwed up a job gets in the moment, everything on the boat is ultimately a physical object that can be repaired, rehabilitated, or replaced. Thanks all for the advice/etc.
    Last edited by Geoff W.; 03-13-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Sustaining Member
    Congrats on achieving that good feeling!

Contributing Partner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sati View Post
    I imagine those forward pockets have some gnarly business going on right now. The sole is making a pretty significant squelching noise when I step on it. Is there anything I can do to try and speed up the drying process for this, space heater, dehumidifier? Patience?
    I think you will be able to suck the gnarly fluid out of the bilge pocket that's slightly forward of the mast (one of the ones under the squelchy flooring, with no access panel in the floor) ...
    ... go into the storage space under the seat that's on the port side of the mast. In the forward right corner you may find a small hole (I can't recall if you first have to undo a small access plate in the bottom of that locker?). Poke a hose down there and suck out the trapped liquid. It's about 15" from the hole in the settee locker to the middle of that cavity. When it's really full, you'll be able to get about a pint of water out of it. When I eventually redo my flooring, I'll include access panels for that bilge in the floor, AND, I plan to use latches to secure the floor panels so they can all be lifted up as and when needed.
    Since Christian has pulled up all the flooring, maybe he knows where that liquid comes from, and where it (slowly) drains to.
    E32-3 #655
    Traveller
    Knoxville, TN

Blog Entries
    I had some loose sections of cabin sole that would also "squish" when I pressed on them when wet. Rather than delamination of the sole, the squishing was coming from areas where the plywood had come unglued from the TAFG. And, yes, these areas where sitting up proud of the rest of the sole.

If you can get a putty knife or a finger up under the raised edges of the sole, you might be able to wedge small pieces of cloth underneath to absorb more water. Or, keep them pry-ed upward and use a fan to help dry underneath.

If you can pull up on the loose sections just a bit but then feel a lot of resistance, your plywood and veneer are probably intact like mine were. I can't imagine rotting or delaminated wood would be so firm.

If you do have loose (unglued) sections of sole, they'll be your best friend when you go to remove the sole. I was able to remove my aft section of sole intact just a few weeks ago. Pictures posted near the end of this post: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...bin-sole/page6
    Last edited by Kenneth K; 03-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

"Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"

Blog Entries

E32-3 foreward bilges

In the photos, "3" is the same bilge.

As I recall, there is a crude opening in the molded side of the head shower sump, put there by the factory.

That can be used to pump out water trapped under the TAFG in that area.

The keel bolt bilge #3--does that have a limber hole to anywhere? I don't think so. My photos are ambiguous.

Note the two small drill holes at mast base. They direct mast rainwater directly under the TAFG, where some of it gets trapped.

Some previous owner thought that was better than pouring out over the floorboards. I didn;t disagree.

Name:	Thelonious forward bilges - Copy.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	26364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thelonious mast bilgeIMG_2852 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	26365
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 03-13-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    The keel bolt bilge #3--does that have a limber hole to anywhere? I don't think so. My photos are ambiguous.
    As far as I can tell, there is no limber hole in bilge pocket #3. I see a hole in bilge pocket #2, which I believe is the pocket nquigly is referencing as being accessible from the port settee storage.

My bilge pocket #3 has a strangely glassed hole cut into the forward-port corner, leading to....the TAFG? Kind of unsure. This might be a manually added drain for Bilge Pocket #2, now that I think about it.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    That may or not be a hole in Bilge #2. I don't recall, but I doubt it. Too near the hull and too small diameter.

However, adding drain holes on the vertical sides of the TAFG isn't a bad idea.

The factory did it on some boats, and it's an easy way to rid the hidden recesses of water.

Name:	1-TAGF drain 1.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	26369

Contributing Partner
    As far as I can tell, there is no limber hole in bilge pocket #3. I see a hole in bilge pocket #2, which I believe is the pocket nquigley is referencing as being accessible from the port settee storage.
    The bilge I was accessing via the settee locker was the #3 bilge in Christian's latest post - it has the forward-most keel bolt in there - you can feel it with the hose I mentioned.
    It's a total mystery to me why they glued floor panel pieces over a bilge that contained a keel bolt without making an access panel in the floor. Oh well.
    E32-3 #655
    Traveller
    Knoxville, TN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nquigley View Post
    Oh well.
    I actually think I do have an access panel for that bilge...it's the one my mast drains into, unless I'm super confused. I guess it must have been added by the very first PO, if that's not factory standard.

If there were two bilge pockets containing funky gunk on my boat, they'd be the two forward of the mast - these are inaccessible with the sole in place.

I should mention Ken's post makes me feel a lot better about the once-squishy sole (thanks Ken). The wood itself feels solid, it must just be unglued. Still a project worth doing this year sometime.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, for me, if not for someone else: I think the forward-most keel bolt on the 32-3 is under that little hole forward of the mast step.

Name:	CabinSole0012sm.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	26386

The second keel bolt would be the one shown in "bilge number 3" from earlier posts (where the "shower" bilge pump is normally installed and where rainwater from the mast collects)--which is not visible in this photo, but normally has a bilge access cover over it to provide access to the "shower" bilge pump.
    Last edited by Kenneth K; 03-14-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

"Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"