• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How do you Remove Head Hoses? [Master Thread]

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
The keel bolt bilge #3--does that have a limber hole to anywhere? I don't think so. My photos are ambiguous.

As far as I can tell, there is no limber hole in bilge pocket #3. I see a hole in bilge pocket #2, which I believe is the pocket nquigly is referencing as being accessible from the port settee storage.

My bilge pocket #3 has a strangely glassed hole cut into the forward-port corner, leading to....the TAFG? Kind of unsure. This might be a manually added drain for Bilge Pocket #2, now that I think about it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That may or not be a hole in Bilge #2. I don't recall, but I doubt it. Too near the hull and too small diameter.

However, adding drain holes on the vertical sides of the TAFG isn't a bad idea.

The factory did it on some boats, and it's an easy way to rid the hidden recesses of water.

1-TAGF drain 1.JPG

nquigley

Sustaining Member
As far as I can tell, there is no limber hole in bilge pocket #3. I see a hole in bilge pocket #2, which I believe is the pocket nquigley is referencing as being accessible from the port settee storage.
The bilge I was accessing via the settee locker was the #3 bilge in Christian's latest post - it has the forward-most keel bolt in there - you can feel it with the hose I mentioned.
It's a total mystery to me why they glued floor panel pieces over a bilge that contained a keel bolt without making an access panel in the floor. Oh well.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author

I actually think I do have an access panel for that bilge...it's the one my mast drains into, unless I'm super confused. I guess it must have been added by the very first PO, if that's not factory standard.

If there were two bilge pockets containing funky gunk on my boat, they'd be the two forward of the mast - these are inaccessible with the sole in place.

I should mention Ken's post makes me feel a lot better about the once-squishy sole (thanks Ken). The wood itself feels solid, it must just be unglued. Still a project worth doing this year sometime.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Just to clarify, for me, if not for someone else: I think the forward-most keel bolt on the 32-3 is under that little hole forward of the mast step.

CabinSole0012sm.jpg

The second keel bolt would be the one shown in "bilge number 3" from earlier posts (where the "shower" bilge pump is normally installed and where rainwater from the mast collects)--which is not visible in this photo, but normally has a bilge access cover over it to provide access to the "shower" bilge pump.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right . To get a wrench on that hidden keel bolt, the factory guys hacked a hole in the side of the TAGF above the shower sump.