• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pulling the Autoprop from the shaft

L

Leslie Newman

• I had a heck of a time pulling the H5 Autoprop. I initially attempted to pull the prop as outlined by AB Marine, using the three 6mm bolt holes on the end of the prop. I put together a puller that should have worked. I did not buy their $250 puller and glad I did not as I feel it would not have worked. The prop was really stuck to the shaft. I suspect that it was not lapped properly when installed and it wasn't a smooth mate to the shaft. Anyway, it did not budge after being installed only six years, so I ended up using a 15 1/2 ton manual puller that I use to pull steering clutches off the final drives of my D2 Caterpillars. With that puller and some heat from my torch it finally popped free.

I had already removed the blades and was wanting to take the whole assembly home to perform a bearing rebuild. That's done now and the blades spin nicely.

I first used a smaller bearing separator to push the line cutter forward away from the prop hub. After loosening the set screw on the line cutter.
    View attachment 25889

Then I installed a larger bearing separator behind the hub to which I then attached my 15 1/2 ton manual puller.
    Already had the prop nut removed.
    View attachment 25890

Tightened the puller as tight as I could, then heated the hub and it finally popped free.
    View attachment 25891

Last edited by a moderator: