• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26 outboard motor well

notsew

Could anyone provide me with a picture of the inside of the outboard motor well for late sixties (mines a '69) ericson 26? Mine looks like it has been stripped of some stuff in there and the previous owner had the outboard attached to the cockpit edge of the well making it impossible to close the hatch and I would imagine somewhat interfereing with the tiller (pure speculation as the boat did not come with a motor). I'm hoping thats not how it is supposed to be! Rather that the outboard will sit nicely in its well and the hatch could close.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All's "Well" that motors well....

FWIW....
Several boats designed in the late 60's/early 70's had motor wells similar to the Ericson 26-1, including the Cal 20 and 28, Catalina 27, and Ranger 24, and a scad of others I cannot remember offhand.

The neat thing was that the well put the prop deeper in the water compared to a bracket mount and also (in your case) put the thrust on centerline. Contributing to this mini-design-trend was the OMC company with their Johnson 9.9 Sailmaster (tm) outboard. This model sat very low on its clamp mechanism and had a very flat top to the case. It put the cylinders low, almost down behind the clamp area. Designers loved it and customers thought it looked cool.
Sailboat builders could have a low seat over a cockpit well.

Motors kept improving and changing and in the mid-70's the 4 stroke Honda hit the displacement hull market and even OMC changed their "look."
I would bet a penny that Mr. Crealock had this Johnson OB in mind when he designed your boat.
You might have to mold out a higher cover for the well to fit a modern engine. Others have done this on different makes of sailboat.

If the "hatch" will not close on top of your engine, this just might be the reason.
If I am wrong, just remember that the advise you get from strangers on the 'net is worth what you paid...
:rolleyes:

There should be some owners of sister-ships that can book in here with better information.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

notsew

E26 well

I hadn't even thought of that, but your probably right.

The thing is, the previous owner had the thing attached to the side of the well, its difficult to describe so I included a picture.

There is no where to actually attach the moter in the well. I feel like there should be some sort of hardware in there to clamp it onto. I wouldn't mind extending the well upwards to allow for a higher clearence for the motor, but I can't really extend the well forward because of the tiller.

Attachments

• outboard 1.JPG
    outboard 1.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,616

notsew

WOW thats a big pic! sorry

Sorry about the massive image, I'm just figuring out this digital picture thing.

:eek:

Good detail though. Ha!

JohnJRRN

E26 engine well

You still have a hatch!

I have the same curiosity about mine a 1970 E26. There hasnt been a hatch since befor I got her in 2000 ( but the latches are still there ???? ).
Inside my well are 4 vertical bolts around a rectangular hole thats about 8'' L X 3 1/2'' W (Best estimate I never actually measured )
They look like motor mounts for some kind of sail drive. I also have a remote throttle Xmission control built in to the port side of the cockpit. My conclusion has been that some previous owner had removed the factory installed engine out and just dropped in a OB motor by cutting the forward part of the engine locker and hanging the OB. I can only assume that the original engine could not be fixed or was too expensive to fix. but I know nothing about my boat. I would appreciate any info about the boat her specs etc.... in fact I hunger for more ......
Later this month I will take some pics as I prep her for launch...

TTYL
John