Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning my first SJI cruise

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Planning my first SJI cruise

Hi folks,

I'm planning my first long cruise over 4th of July week (I know, it's going to be busy). I'm consulting my IRL friends as well, but y'all are as experienced and salty as anyone I know in "real life", so I value your inputs as well I've only ever done bicycle tours of the San Juans before, so my experience is limited to San Juan, Orcas, and Lopez islands, and only via land. I've also not sailed farther north than Everett yet, so passagemaking through the Whidbey Island area is unfamiliar to me.

My current loose itinerary, just winging it looking at Navionics, is like this:

6/30 - Elliot Bay to Everett
    7/1 - Everett to....Anacortes via the Swinomish passage? Alternately I could go the long way around Whidbey and end up at the south end of Lopez.
    -----Question: what is sailing through Deception Pass like? I've only heard that it's crazy currents and such, but not from many actual sailors.
    7/2 - 7/4- San Juans noodling around. Could use recommendations on route and places to see here. I'd like to hit Friday Harbor earlier in the week for provisioning, and make it to Sucia Island. Heard good things about that one.
    -----Question: What are the other good islands besides SJI/Orcas/Lopez that would be worth checking out?
    -----Question: Am I already too late to make reservations at the marinas?
    7/5 - SJI's to Everett
    7/6 - Everett to Elliot Bay

Besides just recommendations on how to cruise / what to cruise in the SJI's, I could also use any general guidance you have for longer cruises. I'm thinking of inviting 5-6 people, so 6-7 would come along in total. I've not practiced anchoring yet, but will do so this spring and summer in preparation. Ideally we get to sail a bunch, but summer in Puget Sound is famously unreliable for winds (at least down by Seattle) so I'll expect to motor a fair amount.

What tips/advice would you give you a new sailor about to undertake his first week-long cruise?
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    Hi Geoff,

Local folks will have more up to date and better information about cruising the San Juans. But we sailed those islands several times in recent years, so have a bit of experience there. We transited Deception Pass, and yes, it can be strong currents of about 9 knots or more with eddies as well, but if you time it so you transit at slack, it's no big deal at all. So don't let that stop you. The Swinomish Channel is shallow, at times only a foot below our 6 foot keel, and the sand shifts so one never knows what the actual depth is. They do dredge it at times, but it's an area to be careful. As well, it's narrow, so no sailing is likely along that stretch and it's a long way by motor. But La Conner, the town along the way, is a pretty, quaint little place and worth spending a few hours at.

Although Friday Harbour is large and busy, the town is also kind of fun, so worth staying there for that. Deer Harbour has been renovated in the last years and is also a quaint, pleasant marina. Rosario is an impressive marina with beautiful grounds, a swimming pool, large mansion, etc. and is worth a visit, though it's a bit more expensive than most for moorage. Roche Harbour was too ostentatious for our liking, though they have a nice pub and some shops near the marina.

Just a few extra thoughts: ensure you have good charts, and check currents so you are going with them, not fighting them all the way. You mention having 6 - 7 people aboard, and while your boat is a bit larger than our E30+, that's a lot of people to have aboard. We have had 5 adults on our boat for up to a week, but they were family so we didn't mind squeezing past each other or working around each other. We had 7 adults aboard for a day sail, and it felt crowded, though was manageable with some sitting up on the cabin roof, others in the cockpit, some below. For me, a max of four adults, two couples, is comfortable and works well. As well, I find that while I value the companionship of others aboard, I also get a little more tense because of the additional responsibility of ensuring everyone is safe and comfortable. So you may want to think about who/how many people you have aboard.

It will be interesting to see what others advise....
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Langer; 01-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Check the cruising guidebooks for Puget Sound. Lots of good info.

Kingston usually has the cheapest fuel.

Deception Pass is no problem as long as you go through at close to slack current. No depth problems even at low tide. People kayak through there in good weather at slack. We've done it with no problems, but time your arrival if you can. Otherwise plan to loiter until close to slack. Long day from Everett, but Mud Bay, Hunter Bay and Watmough Bay are good anchoring stops on Lopez when you get through.

Swinomish Channel - good choice if winds are high in Straits. Shallow in places, but well marked, with some current as you'd expect. Long day from Everett to Anacortes but July has plenty of daylight. We've done this several times.

At Everett use the North Docks guest dock. It gets you out of the river current, which is quite fast inside the jetty. In the Central and South guest docks, the current is very tough when going into the slips. The North Dock is next to the big boat launch and has a couple restaurants and a large chandlery. The Port Of Everett website has a great map.

In addition to the Sucia Islands which is great, Stuart Island is well worth a visit. Reid Harbor is largest anchorage and has the most uniform, comfortable anchoring depths. Hike to Turn Point light is fun, a couple miles or so with some hills. Tours of the Keepers house are available in summer. The two Treasure Chests along the trail sell Stuart Island shirts, hats, etc. Honor system payment by mail and the only way to get them.

Not too late for reservations at Friday Harbor, which is where it is easiest to find room. First-come-first-serve along the breakwater. Arrive around check out time, which I think was 11 am. For holiday slip reservations, I'd call soon and find out how far ahead they schedule. Fun place, very busy, lots to see.

Agree with Frank on crew size. We prefer 4 people total for overnights. We've had 11+ aboard the 38 for daysails. Still crowded, but doable.
    Craig Davis & Ellen Le Vita

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Hull #20, Universal Diesel 5432
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, four. Five max unless these are little kids.

It all depends, of course....but people bring stuff, and there's no room for that, either.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Going through Deception Pass at slack water is safe, but not as much fun as racing in/out with the tide. If you have some experience, I recommend it. Quite a ride!

Our currents are strong, and summer winds can be fickle. Make sure your engine is reliable.

If you see orcas, please turn off your depth sounder. Apparently, they hate it.

Beware of logs. They are everywhere.

Watch out for the ferries. They move at around 20 knots. I love sailing through the Wasp Passage, but I always get into a ferry situation there. It's unavoidable.

If you venture into the Haro Strait, or anywhere near Turn Point on Stuart, keep a very sharp eye out for freighters.

You have already received good advice concerning anchorages (including for consulting some of the great cruising guides). Alas, anchorages will all be very crowded in mid-summer. Even though it's tedious, try to arrive when others are leaving.

Here's a bit more anchoring advice, from me:

Both anchorages on Stuart are wonderful. Take your pick.

Sucia, of course. There are a couple of moorings at Patos, but they will be taken. The spot is stunning, and you can't beat the walk to the lighthouse. I spent a night on the hook there once, and it was not safe.

I like Blind Bay on Shaw. Lots of room. Also Indian Cove, but it isn't very sheltered (I've done it, no problem).

Don't even think about docking on Waldron. The natives are not friendly. No safe anchoring in Cowlitz Bay, either. Unless you are absolutely sure that there will be no wind.

Parks Bay (Shaw) is nice, but you can't go on shore.

There are moorings (and a dock) on both sides of Jones. Wonderful hiking.

Mackay Harbor on Lopez, kind of a "secret spot". Roomy and sheltered, but watch the chart/depth (and the giant patch of kelp) when going in. One of my favorites. I always go through Cattle Pass at max current if I can. There are usually sea lions on the rocks just south of it. Watch that chart, of course. Zoom!

You really have to do Fisherman Bay on Lopez. It's big, and you can walk to the charming village, which has a supermarket and some of the best ice cream anywhere. But read all about the tricky nerve-wracking entrance and, of course, watch your depth. The whole place is very shallow. Every year, they have the most amazing July 4 fireworks, right at the edge of the water.

Swank Roche Harbor, and mellow Garrison Bay nearby (dinghy in to the famous English Camp)

Friday Harbor has everything, including space to anchor.

I know you will love our beautiful islands.
    Last edited by Teranodon; 01-10-2019 at 06:44 AM.
    Stefan Michalowski
    San Juan Island, WA
    1988 Ericson 34 "Talpa"

Blog Entries
    This is all absolutely fantastic, thanks so much. I plan to consult the cruising guides for passage and marina info, but sometimes everything being rated 4-5 stars doesn't help much for planning

I'll take the advice to limit attendance. Me and three others are confirmed with one other couple pending. If they can't go, I might invite someone willing to be a 5th wheel... Else the Q-berth is good storage

I guess once you've been on some 33 foot boats carrying 20+ people at Duck Dodge on Tuesdays, your sense of boat capacity gets skewed.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

I forgot: there are a couple of moorings off Turn Island (SJI). It's only a mile or so from my slip, so I never tried them, but it's a great spot.

Holding is pretty good just about everywhere, in mud. But don't skip setting the anchor. It's surprising how often it needs to be repeated, usually because of stuff growing on the bottom (I have a claw).
    Last edited by Teranodon; 01-10-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Stefan Michalowski
    San Juan Island, WA
    1988 Ericson 34 "Talpa"

Blog Entries
    Bumping the thread again as I've gotten advice from some folks saying if you time the tide right, you could reasonably make Seattle to Lopez in a day. Anyone done that and can confirm? Looks like slack starts on 6/30/19 at 2AM and low tide is around 10AM, so that's probably not super favorable timing, but who knows.

Also confirmed I have 4 people going, including me. I'm an SYC member so can ostensibly use the outstations at Friday Harbor / Henry Island but I think they're going to be powerboat crazy times that week. Kind of unavoidable.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Contributing Member III Schoolboyheart's Avatar
    Hey Geoff,

Currents are your friend and Iíve made it from Pender Harbor (Gulf Islands) to Bainbridge in a day...a very long day though! Unless itís going to be blowing like mad I always favor the straight shot across the Juan de Fuca. Hereís a tip if fireworks are your thing. Go to Pender harbor on the 1st which is Canada Day. Then sail back to Roche for the fourth. You can spend a day or two in The Gulf Islands which are amazing then be back for the 4th or come back on the second and cruise the SJIís.

if staying in the SJIs I would say Friday Harbor, Deer Harbor, Sucia are a must. There used to be a restaurant in Deer Harbor that would pick you up in an old stretch limo at no cost which was pretty cool. I bet itís still around but I havenít been there in 3 years!

you really just need to look at the current atlas and plan it out based on the days. If you try to do too much youíll end up motoring a ton so keep the days short if you want to sail.

cheers,

Rob
    1990 Ericson 32-200 #902
    Previously Owned 1978 Ericson 27 #1271

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W. View Post
    ...reasonably make Seattle to Lopez in a day.
    Doable? Sure

Reasonable? Hmmm. Depends on the definition, I think.

Eagle Harbor to Fisherman's on Lopez is something like 65nm. If you average 5 knots over the ground, that's a 13-hour day.

Unless there's a compelling reason to get there in one shot, I'd say... plan an interim stop, one that allows you to play the currents and smell the roses. A pleasant evening in Port Townsend could be nice, it's pretty much the mid-point and there are things to do/see/eat (I personally love the seafood place at the end of the Pt. Hudson Marina. Just sayin').... and then head across the Strait the next morning on whatever schedule makes it the fastest/most comfortable trip for your guests.

$.02
    Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Contributing Member III Schoolboyheart's Avatar
    Hey Geoff, I forgot to add if you donít have a current atlas check out deepzoom.com which is free and shows the main currents. Iíd still plan on picking one up though as there are a lot of odd currents in the islands that canít be captured in the software.
    1990 Ericson 32-200 #902
    Previously Owned 1978 Ericson 27 #1271

Blog Entries
    Cool, I reserved Pt. Townshend moorage for the nights of 6/30 and 7/5. I will be the only one with significant sailing experience and wouldn't want to put myself or my guests through long days like that. I appreciate the advice.

Rob, that software is awesome. Super fun to make the arrows wobble around. I think I have a tide atlas but am lacking the "key card", or second component - I should probably verify.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W. View Post
    ...the "key card", or second component - I should probably verify.
    Yup, you need two parts.

This book is the "current atlas".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	26605

It contains dozens of numbered pages showing the currents (strength and direction) at various times. Costs about 30 bucks and is good forever.

This book is "the tables", it tells you which page of the atlas to use on a given date/time

Name:	tables.JPG 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	26606

It costs about 7 bucks and covers every hour of every day for a given year.

https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/w...dcurrents.html

Put together, you end up with the whole answer. You'd look up June 30th in the tables, for example, the tables will tell you that at 10am, you should use page 18 in the current atlas... at noon, you should use page 38. Or whatever.

Name:	18.JPG 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	26607 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	26608

You can use this to see what kind of currents you'll be facing on your schedule. You can also use it to SET your schedule in order to make your passage with as little fuss as possible. In the two snips, above, I'd say going through Cattle Pass at 10am wouldn't be bad, but by noon it starts looking pretty adverse, so I'd use that to plan the time I need to leave Port Townsend in order to be through the pass well before noon. Etc.

Note that this is a canadian publication, and it only covers the area NORTH of Port Townsend. There is similar a book of Puget Sound currents, which is okay if you want to spend the 20 bucks, but there's a NOAA publication of puget sound current charts you can download for free that I've found every bit as useful

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604

Blog Entries
    ...just for the sake of completeness, here's a snip from that NOAA publication

Name:	f plus 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	26609

This doc is different and, arguably, easier to use. Rather than a different page for each hour of each day, it is keyed on the state of the current at Bush Point, on the western side of Whidbey.

The attached snip shows what the currents in the Sound look like 2 hours after "max flood at Bush Point". It shows that the flood has weakened and is starting to turn in the area of Seattle. I'd use that info to plan my schedule, as in... "if I get off the dock in Seattle around (2 hours after whatever time my tide tables indicate max-flood-at-Bush-Point happens on the 30th). then I'll have basically slack current at the start, and favorable current on the way to Port Townsend for at least 6 hours".

6 or 7 hours later (2 hours after max ebb at Bush Point), after enjoying a favorable current for the ~40 mile jaunt, the currents would look like this for your approach into Port Townsend

Name:	e plus 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	26610

Bruce
    Last edited by bgary; 04-02-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604

Blog Entries
    Navigation is so cool. I love how all-encompassing boating is for almost every area of nerd-ery.

Thanks Bruce - I'm gonna find the NOAA publication and check that out. The Waggoner ones seem nice for the minute level of detail, but I'm probably more at the level of "water go up or down now?"
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712